2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

Tonight Patrick Marleau will break Gordie Howe's NHL games played record of 1767. Although many will point out Howe's longevity through more seasons, and his 419 games in the WHA, it's still a downright incredible record to break.

When Ovi breaks Gretzky's goal record, that will be quite a milestone. On a 47g pace this year, so not really slowing down yet and just 35 and seems pretty healthy, so far.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Tonight Patrick Marleau will break Gordie Howe's NHL games played record of 1767. Although many will point out Howe's longevity through more seasons, and his 419 games in the WHA, it's still a downright incredible record to break.

I will always be more impressed by Howe because of the style he played ... but Marleau is certainly due his respect

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I will always be more impressed by Howe because of the style he played ... but Marleau is certainly due his respect

Good accomplishment, but big difference playing into your 50’s, and as you said, with the WHA games, it’s not even close.

Looking at the issue the habs face with CC and call-ups, I have to question the need for the four call-up rule ... in a cap world I frankly don't see the reason for it ... once it might have stopped teams from abusing the lack of roster cap (e.g., tanking by loading their team with AHL players; resting too many players at once and impacting the integrity of the NHL season) ... but with the salary cap teams really can't do that.

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Looking at the issue the habs face with CC and call-ups, I have to question the need for the four call-up rule ... in a cap world I frankly don't see the reason for it ... once it might have stopped teams from abusing the lack of roster cap (e.g., tanking by loading their team with AHL players; resting too many players at once and impacting the integrity of the NHL season) ... but with the salary cap teams really can't do that.

Sure they can.  The teams that are tanking have banked millions in cap space by the trade deadline which gives them ample space to recall plenty of minor leaguers.  They're not up against the Upper Limit.

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Sure they can.  The teams that are tanking have banked millions in cap space by the trade deadline which gives them ample space to recall plenty of minor leaguers.  They're not up against the Upper Limit.

Yeah ... first thought without second thought ... it is just so frustrating ... both that the Habs are in this pinch and that Bergevin managed to get them there in ONE day.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Yeah ... first thought without second thought ... it is just so frustrating ... both that the Habs are in this pinch and that Bergevin managed to get them there in ONE day.

Reading Arpon's article in the Athletic, Byron and Romanov are still eligible to be sent to the taxi squad, because they were there at the time of the trade deadline. (Ouellet was also eligible and has already been sent down.) No one else is.

Because Romanov is definitely not getting sent down, and because we now have to pay Primeau as well, the only way for us to fit Caufield under the cap is to send Byron down. And it will be for the rest of the regular season since calling up Caufield will use up the one remaining call-up. Unless there is another injury, of course.

So, Caufield takes Byron's place as a top-nine RW, however the lines get shuffled. And we live or die by the lineup we have after that.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Reading Arpon's article in the Athletic, Byron and Romanov are still eligible to be sent to the taxi squad, because they were there at the time of the trade deadline. (Ouellet was also eligible and has already been sent down.) No one else is.

Because Romanov is definitely not getting sent down, and because we now have to pay Primeau as well, the only way for us to fit Caufield under the cap is to send Byron down. And it will be for the rest of the regular season since calling up Caufield will use up the one remaining call-up. Unless there is another injury, of course.

So, Caufield takes Byron's place as a top-nine RW, however the lines get shuffled. And we live or die by the lineup we have after that.

I doubt it will happen, Caufield is not the second coming of Steve Shutt

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Only 12gms left after today, so live or die might be bit overkill.:nuts:

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I doubt it will happen, Caufield is not the second coming of Steve Shutt

He may or may not be, but we are a team desperate for goals and Byron has a whopping 4 on the season...pretty sure Caufield is a hell of a lot closer to Shutt scoring-wise than Byron is.

36 minutes ago, DON said:

Only 12gms left after today, so live or die might be bit overkill.:nuts:

:) Well, maybe a bit of embellishment there, but the point is that this would be the lineup, no changes allowed during the regular season. We would either make the playoffs or not, with that lineup

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

:) Well, maybe a bit of embellishment there, but the point is that this would be the lineup, no changes allowed during the regular season. We would either make the playoffs or not, with that lineup

I know, just goofing around.

This is an agency with a specialty in coaches and management positions (over 60 Pro Coaches and General Managers in the NHL, NFL, NBA and many European professional leagues ... such as <click here>) ... I suppose he might need an agent to negotiate with Quebecor about his role as GM/coach of the Remparts ... but more likely Patrick is preparing for a run at a NHL positions(s) ... let the hand-wringing begin

39 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

This is an agency with a specialty in coaches and management positions (over 60 Pro Coaches and General Managers in the NHL, NFL, NBA and many European professional leagues ... such as <click here>) ... I suppose he might need an agent to negotiate with Quebecor about his role as GM/coach of the Remparts ... but more likely Patrick is preparing for a run at a NHL positions(s) ... let the hand-wringing begin

Good god no. Please let this be a coincidence!!!!

42 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Good god no. Please let this be a coincidence!!!!

I have no problem with him looking for NHL opportunities...as long as they're not with Montreal.  If someone else wants to blow up their organization and bring him in, it's their funeral.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

As for the Habs, could he be worse?

Yes, many times over.  Being a GM of a QMJHL team that's allowed to get away with all sorts of under the table shenanigans to build a team because he's Patrick Roy does not qualify him to be an NHL GM.  He has no other front office experience to build off of either.  And from a coaching standpoint, I think Ottawa was the only team to consider him since he left Colorado which is a pretty telling sign of how teams want to stay away from him after the Colorado drama.

20 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I see Roy as GM of the new Quebec City team whenever that happens. 

As for the Habs, could he be worse?

Roy wants total control much like he has with the Q team he owns. He wants to be GM, coach and have full control over drafting. Which is why it never worked out in Colorado and why we never hired him as our coach. He has a big ego so i would stay away from him. 

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Yes, many times over.  Being a GM of a QMJHL team that's allowed to get away with all sorts of under the table shenanigans to build a team because he's Patrick Roy does not qualify him to be an NHL GM.  He has no other front office experience to build off of either.  And from a coaching standpoint, I think Ottawa was the only team to consider him since he left Colorado which is a pretty telling sign of how teams want to stay away from him after the Colorado drama.

Would you have any suggestions for a good or possible replacement out there? Any french AGMs, or out of work options that might be promising and Molson may interview...when time comes to make change? 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I had no idea Roy was like that. The only thing I knew is that he has serious anger management issues 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Would you have any suggestions for a good or possible replacement out there? Any french AGMs, or out of work options that might be promising and Molson may interview...when time comes to make change? 

Luongo

dlbalr is right. Roy will be hailed as a saviour by the idiots in the French press and will proceed to turn the entire organization into a complete gong-show. His hiring would represent the final step to turning Montreal into a Harold-Ballard-era Leafs-style circus. So, we can probably be confident that it’s what will happen after MB is canned.

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Luongo

dlbalr is right. Roy will be hailed as a saviour by the idiots in the French press and will proceed to turn the entire organization into a complete gong-show. His hiring would represent the final step to turning Montreal into a Harold-Ballard-era Leafs-style circus. So, we can probably be confident that it’s what will happen after MB is canned.

How about Bobby Smith?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic