2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

The department of player safety is such a poorly run organization I’m not sure it should continue. Even hiring “good” guys to run it would not ensure bias nonsense from happening. 

Don is also right that the player union has the power to bring change but they don’t care either. 

I think we need an independent body of people that clearly define the rules including repeat offenders rules. Then enforce the rules with even handed sentences. 

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Rangers fire President John Davidson and GM Jeff Gorton.  Chris Drury named Pres and GM

Apparently, according to Freidmann and Seravelli, owner James Dolan wrote yesterday's statement from the team and JD and Gorton disagreed with it.  That was enough to fire them.  They were already on thin ice from missing the playoffs (even though I personally think they've done a good job on that rebuild).

Im happy that he wrote that statement and why would they disagree with it? Cause of old boys club secret rules? If that’s the case then good for firing them too

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Rangers fire President John Davidson and GM Jeff Gorton.  Chris Drury named Pres and GM

Apparently, according to Freidmann and Seravelli, owner James Dolan wrote yesterday's statement from the team and JD and Gorton disagreed with it.  That was enough to fire them.  They were already on thin ice from missing the playoffs (even though I personally think they've done a good job on that rebuild).

On the weekend/beginning of the week I read somewhere that the Rangers (i.e., Dolan) were unhappy with this season and considering cleaning house ... so the "cover story" may be true ... but I agree, firing the guys that have the Rangers on the cusp of a strong team seems to make no sense ... now, I have to wonder if Drury didn't stage a coup d'état and gain Dolan's ear ... appointing him GM makes some sense (he was obviously groomed) but also making him President seems like a reach to me

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Good on him for firing them in that situation. They’ve done a good job building, but I think it sends the league and message that teams are any going to keep bending over and accepting bad decisions. I wish more owners with join him in voicing their displeasure. Looking at the box score today looks like the league did a great job handling the situation 🤮

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The department of player safety is such a poorly run organization I’m not sure it should continue. Even hiring “good” guys to run it would not ensure bias nonsense from happening. 

Don is also right that the player union has the power to bring change but they don’t care either. 

I think we need an independent body of people that clearly define the rules including repeat offenders rules. Then enforce the rules with even handed sentences. 

One of the fundamental issues with the whole setup is that the union defends the offender, and no one is there to speak or represent the interests of the victim - who is also a union member. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

So, how about that rematch between the Rangers and Caps...

E0qTb-bXoAYNxyH?format=jpg&name=large

6 fights and 100 PIMS in the 1st.

I don’t get why the rangers didn’t go after ovechkin or backstrom. 

Just now, hab29RETIRED said:

One of the fundamental issues with the whole setup is that the union defends the offender, and no one is there to speak or represent the interests of the victim - who is also a union member. 

Agreed ... the players all have agents ... if the NHLPA won't vigorously represent the safety of the victim then they should excuse themselves entirely and let the agents represent (engage representation for) both players ... not that it would make a difference ... the NHL has never even admitted the danger of concussions in hockey, like the NFL

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t get why the rangers didn’t go after ovechkin or backstrom. 

THE CODE ? ? ? ? ?

Because it would have just triggered many, many, many more fights?

Because it would be embarrassing to get beaten by them?

What a backwards league. 

Here is the issue...

The NHL could be promoting Connor McDavid having the best season since Wayne/Mario.... Matthews lighting up the goal scoring.... young talented D like Hughes, Makar, Fox, etc.... Nathan MacKinnon etc.

Nope, cause DOPS is a joke, the league becomes about eye for an eye violence again.

And yes, current fans like fights and stuff.

But this will be the image of the NHL tomorrow on every sports show, and sports fans who aren't NHL fans will never be exposed to the skill parts of the game and think that the sport is barbaric and not for them.

It limits future growth in the very markets (southern US) that the NHL has been desperate to grow in for 30 years. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Neech said:

The line brawl off the faceoff is just good television. Gotta have one a year.

Old time hockey. You could see this coming, not surprised at all. By giving Wilson nothing but a little tap on the wrist the Rangers had no choice, out of the playoffs, they had nothing to lose. 

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

What a backwards league. 

Here is the issue...

The NHL could be promoting Connor McDavid having the best season since Wayne/Mario.... Matthews lighting up the goal scoring.... young talented D like Hughes, Makar, Fox, etc.... Nathan MacKinnon etc.

Nope, cause DOPS is a joke, the league becomes about eye for an eye violence again.

And yes, current fans like fights and stuff.

But this will be the image of the NHL tomorrow on every sports show, and sports fans who aren't NHL fans will never be exposed to the skill parts of the game and think that the sport is barbaric and not for them.

It limits future growth in the very markets (southern US) that the NHL has been desperate to grow in for 30 years. 

That doesn’t hurt she league on the south, that’s the home of monster trucks, NFL, combat sports. Line brawls will probably actually excite southern US markets more than some Canadian kid scoring a bunch of goals in Canada against only other Canadian teams, Americans could care less about that but the line brawl is on every highlight reel this morning, McDavid going end to end does not make the highlights in Atlanta, the line brawl did.

have worked in the US for years pre pandemic and there was never any questioning the skill that hockey players have. Americans are in awe of the violence on ice aspect.

The violence adds the the appeal in the US more than the skill. See NASCAR, Monster trucks, UFC, NFL....

so you are 100% wrong that this incident will keep the game from growing in the southern US, they really just don’t care.

The way to grow the game long term is to get kids playing it.  How many mothers are going to let their kids play if their exposure to it is this?

The only time hockey breaks into the mainstream is with these ugly incidents and thats what the general public thinks of the sport.

Thats the issue.

Weve tried it this way for 40 years and it doesnt grow.  How about trying it without this sideshow bullshit and marketing its speed and skill instead? Thats where the league has always failed.

We had a big wave of southern growth in the 90s and proceeded to give people the most boring hockey of all time with the dead puck era.

The NFL and NBA put in rules to increase offence and protect stars.  The NHL doesnt want to suspend a tom wilson even when he injures Panarin, a legit offensive star playing for the league's biggest american franchise.  

Its so mismanaged that its a joke.

11 hours ago, Neech said:

The line brawl off the faceoff is just good television. Gotta have one a year.

tumblr_p5d8os5uGT1wpo5m3o1_540.gif

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

The way to grow the game long term is to get kids playing it.  How many mothers are going to let their kids play if their exposure to it is this?

The only time hockey breaks into the mainstream is with these ugly incidents and thats what the general public thinks of the sport.

Thats the issue.

Weve tried it this way for 40 years and it doesnt grow.  How about trying it without this sideshow bullshit and marketing its speed and skill instead? Thats where the league has always failed.

We had a big wave of southern growth in the 90s and proceeded to give people the most boring hockey of all time with the dead puck era.

The NFL and NBA put in rules to increase offence and protect stars.  The NHL doesnt want to suspend a tom wilson even when he injures Panarin, a legit offensive star playing for the league's biggest american franchise.  

Well did you hear Messier’s comments (who was also campaigning for a job with the Rangers), I hope Mr. MVP and Leadership never gets an NHL job!

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Bushleague seems to fit, but no real push for better standards yet.

Oh well, so be it...go pound the crap out of each other, get fans all cited about gooning it up and make the sports news highlights.

I still remember a couple next to me, stood up at a WHL game and start booing when a fight broke out (Chara vs I cant remember). I and everyone around them, thought that was so odd and drew some strange reactions from mostly redneck crowd, who just didnt know what to think of this.

But, was the mature way to see it i guess and bit enlightening (if that is correct term) for me anyways.

Hey I admit it, fights are entertaining... so are car crashes in Nascar.

The thing is Nascar makes a ton of rules to make car crashes less frequent, and to keep drivers as safe as possible. 

The problem isn't about whether or not fighting is entertaining, its what we know about fighting, it leads to concussions, CTE, substance abuse and players dying.  We've been through this, we've seen it happen. 

And you know what, parents know this too, and so this becomes a reason why they don't put kids in hockey and it inhibits the growth of the sport.

So Wilson gets fined $5k, Rangers $250k.  2.5 times the fine the Capitals received for breaking Covid protocols, that potentially could have put the season at risk.

The game after Wilson gets barely a slap on the wrist from Parros, one of Wilson’s initial victims gets suspended by Parros seeking retribution that the league didn’t provide, while the other victim - one of the best players in the game couldn’t play because he was injured by Wilson, and he’s out for the rest of the season. 

Bravo George Parros🤮

And MB acquired this piece of shit at the end of his shit career. It’s a disgrace that this piece is shit was ever a hab.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Hey I admit it, fights are entertaining... so are car crashes in Nascar.

I grew up a Don Cherry fan and as a teenager used to love seeing Kordic or Nilan duking it out and pounding on Dale Hunter or some other Nordique.

But, simply fast forward through any fights now and dont waste any time watching. just seems so childish to me now.

Biggest question is; Why isnt it an immediate ejection, suspension and fine for player and team, like any other team sport?

6 minutes ago, DON said:

I grew up a Don Cherry fan and as a teenager used to love seeing Kordic or Nilan duking it out and pounding on Dale Hunter or some other Nordique.

But, simply fast forward through any fights now and dont waste any time watching. just seems so childish to me now.

Biggest question is; Why isnt it an immediate ejection, suspension and fine for player and team, like any other team sport?

Hey I grow up with the Nords-Habs bloodbath in April where almost every player (if not every player), was in a fight. Now I know better, because we have learned more.

as a kid, despite being actively involved in sports my diet also consisted of a bag of Doritos, slurped and ice cream every day. I don’t do that anymore, because I know better.  It’s too bad that concussion was settled, because this ruling is exhibit A, for the NHL not doing enough to protect players from potentially serious brain injuries. Hell, Panarin could have been killed.

19 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So Wilson gets fined $5k, Rangers $250k.  2.5 times the fine the Capitals received for breaking Covid protocols, that potentially could have put the season at risk.

The game after Wilson gets barely a slap on the wrist from Parros, one of Wilson’s initial victims gets suspended by Parros seeking retribution that the league didn’t provide, while the other victim - one of the best players in the game couldn’t play because he was injured by Wilson, and he’s out for the rest of the season. 

Bravo George Parros🤮

And MB acquired this piece of shit at the end of his shit career. It’s a disgrace that this piece is shit was ever a hab.

It is impressive how you were able to turn a conversation about the Capitals vs Rangers and the subsequent lack of disciplinary actions, into a Bergevin diss. Never cease to amaze me  

• Upvote 2

• dlbalr unpinned this topic