2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

15 hours ago, DON said:

I grew up a Don Cherry fan and as a teenager used to love seeing Kordic or Nilan duking it out and pounding on Dale Hunter or some other Nordique.

But, simply fast forward through any fights now and dont waste any time watching. just seems so childish to me now.

Biggest question is; Why isnt it an immediate ejection, suspension and fine for player and team, like any other team sport?

Hey, I used to love hockey fighting too. Those Kordic-Miller duels were epic. I also used to love boxing. The trouble, for me, is what we have learned about concussions over the decades. Now when I see fights - and even worse, deliberate assaults like what Wilson did on Panarin, or that pig Chara on Patches - all I see is a young man suffering permanent brain damage. There is absolutely nothing entertaining in that as far as I’m concerned.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hey, I used to love hockey fighting too. Those Kordic-Miller duels were epic. I also used to love boxing. The trouble, for me, is what we have learned about concussions over the decades. Now when I see fights - and even worse, deliberate assaults like what Wilson did on Panarin, or that pig Chara on Patches - all I see is a young man suffering permanent brain damage. There is absolutely nothing entertaining in that as far as I’m concerned.

Or potentially being killed in both of the cases cited.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Or potentially being killed in both of the cases cited.

100% AGREE ... as new facts emerge they must be considered and assimilated ... IMO what was once OK is no longer, or shouldn't be ... but the NHL beat the players in their concussion lawsuit ... no admission of liability for doing nothing to truly deter the violence that causes so many non-accidental concussions, and paying out less than $20 million (relative pocket change) ... and I doubt that the NHL will do nothing until they face serious economic consequences ... and I fear that will only come from a ridiculously severe incident or death

Didnt Daly say there were no plans to reduce restrictions for vaccinated teams, and the NHLPA said that lehner was misinformed after lehner’s comments?? Now, suddenly they are loosening restrictions??

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Even the coach is tired of the coach in Columbus! 

More like abandoning a sinking ship- which he crashed into the cliffs!!

12 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didnt Daly say there were no plans to reduce restrictions for vaccinated teams, and the NHLPA said that lehner was misinformed after lehner’s comments?? Now, suddenly they are loosening restrictions??

Likely no specific plans when he said it ... but had to address Lehner's comments ... further discussions with health authorities in Canada and the US led to changes being allowed/approved/recommended ... information on Covid is ever evolving and IMO the.
IMO the NHL was better to underpromise and overdeliver than suggest changes were coming before they were finalized and then answer daily questions about when.

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Even the coach is tired of the coach in Columbus! 

When the GM went “all in” before the UFAs bailed and then made bonehead trades like Domi’s ... it made it impossible for Torts

I’ll miss him: he was entertaining 

Edited by alfredoh2009

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

When the GM went “all in” before the UFAs bailed and then made bonehead trades like Domi’s ... it made it impossible for Torts

I’ll miss him: he was entertaining 

Agree, they went all in and didn't get it done, once the UFA's left there wasn't a good enough team to really contend. I will miss him too but he will show up somewhere. I still think he is a good coach. I know others will disagree. 

On another note I just finished reading Brian Burke's book. An excellent read. Like him or not you can't deny his passion for the game and his  honest approach.  He made some mistakes which he fully admits,  every GM makes mistakes but I give him credit for making the Pronger deal which really put Anaheim over the top, the Kessel deal didn't work out so well. 

53 minutes ago, Neech said:

I think a big part of McDavid and Matthew's record scoring pace is the pitiful D-corps they face in the North Division, Habs included.

Agreed, but it’s still not as bad as 70’s and 80’s goaltending. I think that at least 25% of the goals the Oilers scored back in the 80’s would have been stopped by today’s goalies, and the defensive schemes overall right now are much better than they were in the 80’s.

6 hours ago, Neech said:

I think a big part of McDavid and Matthew's record scoring pace is the pitiful D-corps they face in the North Division, Habs included.

And yet on a goals per game basis, this is the lowest scoring division in the league. 

The East has Philly getting like 850 goaltending, plus the Sabres and New Jersey for teams to beat up on. 

The Central is probably the best division... but they also have weak teams in Detroit and Columbus. 

The West has the three california teams and Arizona. 

People keep saying this 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

And yet on a goals per game basis, this is the lowest scoring division in the league. 

The East has Philly getting like 850 goaltending, plus the Sabres and New Jersey for teams to beat up on. 

The Central is probably the best division... but they also have weak teams in Detroit and Columbus. 

The West has the three california teams and Arizona. 

People keep saying this 

I just look at the D-corps in the North and only Calgary and Toronto are competent on paper. That's interesting that the North is the lowest scoring, though.

The Central has 3 elite teams, but I thought that the East was the best overall.  They certainly have the best team to miss the playoffs in the Rangers, who probably would have made the top-4 in any other division.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Ottawa is a complete no-show against Calgary tonight so it looks like they won't be doing the Habs any favours.

Ottawa has already beat the Flames 6 times this year so they have already done enough to help the Habs. Time for the Habs to earn it on their own tomorrow night. 

1 hour ago, Neech said:

I just look at the D-corps in the North and only Calgary and Toronto are competent on paper. That's interesting that the North is the lowest scoring, though.

The Central has 3 elite teams, but I thought that the East was the best overall.  They certainly have the best team to miss the playoffs in the Rangers, who probably would have made the top-4 in any other division.

I dont know the Rangers are that good.  The points in that division feel inflated by how bad New Jersey and Buffalo are and they might be the two worst teams in the league.  Phillys goalies also completely let them down.

Look at the 10 worst gf/ga teams in the league.  Only one is in the north.

So jack edwards goes crazy to a butt-end to Pasternak. This did not look anything as bad as the Wilson situation and if you listened to Thar homer idiotic Edwards, you would think Pasternak had been hit with a stuck down with a two handed swing to the head. Not a clean hit, but, not nearly as bad as a Edwards made it to be, Andy is probably the kind of thing a goon like Parros does consider more worthy of suspension than almost one that could have potentially killed someone.

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

I dont know the Rangers are that good.  The points in that division feel inflated by how bad New Jersey and Buffalo are and they might be the two worst teams in the league.  Phillys goalies also completely let them down.

Look at the 10 worst gf/ga teams in the league.  Only one is in the north.

Are the goals lower in the North because of better D, or anemic offence outside of Toronto and Edmonton. I’d argue it’s the latter.

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Are the goals lower in the North because of better D, or anemic offence outside of Toronto and Edmonton. I’d argue it’s the latter.

Winnipegs offence is amazing too.  

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Winnipegs offence is amazing too.  

it was until they ran into injury trouble. They had goaltending and offence and the some of the D played better than most thought they would, but there offense has not been as potent since the injuries.

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

it was until they ran into injury trouble. They had goaltending and offence and the some of the D played better than most thought they would, but there offense has not been as potent since the injuries.

True, but when we look at the stats, we are looking at the full season to date stats, not just from the last 2 weeks. 

for most of the season, Winnipeg’s offense was right up there. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Every division has anemic teams.  The three California teams and arizona.

Detroit columbus chicago

Buffalo, New Jersey, etc..

True, but the California teams everyone knew would be bad - with the exception of SJS, which is kind of sitting on the fence, ANA and LAK said they are rebuilding and Phoenix what it was expected to be - if anything, slightly better. Detroit and NJD are rebuilding and were expected to be bad. Chicago given the loss of Toews right from the start, wasn’t expected to be good, but still over achieved.  Buffalo is worse than anyone probably even thought possible (though were not expected to be in the playoff race).

when you look at the other divisions, Buffalo and Philly are the only ones that are a lot worse than anyone thought they would be.

in the North, Winnipeg is really the only over achiever. Vancouver, understandably is worse than most thought, Calgary has been a train wreck, we’ve been worse than I thought we’d be. Toronto and Edmonton are about as expected. Other than Ottawa, no team in the North had really made it clear they are in a rebuild.  Most  teams in the other divisions other than Philly (which was a train wreck like Calgary), and Buffalo (which was not going to be a playoff team anyways), aren’t far from what was expected.

4 hours ago, revvvrob said:

True, but when we look at the stats, we are looking at the full season to date stats, not just from the last 2 weeks. 

for most of the season, Winnipeg’s offense was right up there. 

It is a full year average, but I think the last few weeks were really bad. You also have to consider Vancouver played a high percentage of their games during that period.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

True, but the California teams everyone knew would be bad - with the exception of SJS, which is kind of sitting on the fence, ANA and LAK said they are rebuilding and Phoenix what it was expected to be - if anything, slightly better. Detroit and NJD are rebuilding and were expected to be bad. Chicago given the loss of Toews right from the start, wasn’t expected to be good, but still over achieved.  Buffalo is worse than anyone probably even thought possible (though were not expected to be in the playoff race).

when you look at the other divisions, Buffalo and Philly are the only ones that are a lot worse than anyone thought they would be.

in the North, Winnipeg is really the only over achiever. Vancouver, understandably is worse than most thought, Calgary has been a train wreck, we’ve been worse than I thought we’d be. Toronto and Edmonton are about as expected. Other than Ottawa, no team in the North had really made it clear they are in a rebuild.  Most  teams in the other divisions other than Philly (which was a train wreck like Calgary), and Buffalo (which was not going to be a playoff team anyways), aren’t far from what was expected.

Whether we knew they were bad or not does not take away from Matthews and McDavid's accomplishments.  I don't understand the argument. 

As Ray Ferraro says, if it was so easy to score 100 points in the North Division, why is McDavid the only one doing it (or even close). 

If it was so easy to score 40 goals, why is Matthews the only one doing it. 

• dlbalr unpinned this topic