2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

Just now, Commandant said:

Whether we knew they were bad or not does not take away from Matthews and McDavid's accomplishments.  I don't understand the argument. 

As Ray Ferraro says, if it was so easy to score 100 points in the North Division, why is McDavid the only one doing it (or even close). 

If it was so easy to score 40 goals, why is Matthews the only one doing it. 

Oh, I wills t take away from either of their accomplishments. Hell, McDavid has around 20 more points than the next closest player (which is his teammate and often linemate), and over 30 points in the next closest player. Given the condensed season, that’s like a Gretzky and Lemieux type year. Matthews has been scoring at a pace not achieved over the past two decades other than by Ovechkin.

not taking anything away at all from their achievements, but at the start of this season, I said there really isn’t a team in the North with a good D and only Winnipeg has a truly elite goalie (I don’t see Price being a top 5, or even top 10 anymore and Markstrom sure that he’ll isnt).  I’m just commenting that the North is probable the worst division in terms of quality of Dmen. Not saying I think Matthews and McDavid, or even Draisaitl may not have put up the numbers they did in another division.

45 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Don’t really know where to post this but the team doesn’t need this crap. Still think we will ever see an anglophone in charge?

Well, MB did his best by trading Sergachev for Drouin and we see how that turned out. It's definitely more complicated being a GM in Montreal. Premier Legault is assuming Quebec players want to play in Montreal, not always the case. 

So ... I was listening briefly as a commentator stated that this team was made for the playoffs and that because we're going to be healthy we will give the Laffs a rough time. Hmm... 

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This racist dumbass should shut his ignorant pie hole. I’d tell him to stick to things he knows something about, but that would remove all available subjects of conversation.

It would be nice if Quebecers stopped electing this idiots.  We have the same problem in Alberta, with morons like Kenney. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Toronthab said:

So ... I was listening briefly as a commentator stated that this team was made for the playoffs and that because we're going to be healthy we will give the Laffs a rough time. Hmm... 

that’s the theory behind last summer’s signings and the trade deadline additions; not comparable to top 4 cup contenders but evidence enough that is the gist 

Now, in practice the club has performed same as last year and hopes of going further this year seem like wishful thinking 

In short: yeah baby, we are on the chase for the cup!!! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Don’t really know where to post this but the team doesn’t need this crap. Still think we will ever see an anglophone in charge?

I actually see both sides of the issue (definitely am on the whatever makes the Habs their best approach but understand the other), but in fairness to Legault he was asked a question and gave the only answer that made sense for him politically ... which is what ALL politicians try to do with every question ... its just that if we agree with he answer we think it is the brilliant, honest truth.

According to this site, there are 60 active Quebec-born players in the NHL. https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/province/active-nhl-players-born-in-quebec-career-stats.html

In a 32 team league, that's an average of 1.88 players per team. The Habs are actually above average in this respect, especially when you consider that not everyone in that list of 60 is actually a roster lock. Also, it is not 100% clear that non-francophone Quebecers really "count" when idiots like Legault pontificate about the lack of Quebecois on the team.

Finally, the Habs have WAY more francophones in management positions than any other NHL franchise. So we are "above average" in terms of Quebec representation on the ice and massively so in coaching and management.

Legault and his ilk should shut the f**k up.

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

... It's definitely more complicated being a GM in Montreal. Premier Legault is assuming Quebec players want to play in Montreal, not always the case. 

True ... there are only 60 Quebec born players in the NHL currently ... and, as you say, many of the best do not want to return to Habs as UFAs ... so the key is drafting the right Francophone players, and signing the right undrafted players, the they are available ... Habs should have the most thorough knowledge of QMJHL players each draft year and every missed opportunity stands out like a sore thumb  ... but the Habs drafted Juulsen over Beauvillier and missed out on undrafted players like Yanni Gourde ... and it is not a new issue (Corey Urquhart over Patrice Bergeron) ... 

Almost 30 years as Hawks broadcaster ... but he may have committed career suicide with this ill-considered comment

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Almost 30 years as Hawks broadcaster ... but he may have committed career suicide with this ill-considered comment

Really? Good god, what can you make a joke about these days without offending anyone?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

According to this site, there are 60 active Quebec-born players in the NHL. https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/province/active-nhl-players-born-in-quebec-career-stats.html

In a 32 team league, that's an average of 1.88 players per team. The Habs are actually above average in this respect, especially when you consider that not everyone in that list of 60 is actually a roster lock. Also, it is not 100% clear that non-francophone Quebecers really "count" when idiots like Legault pontificate about the lack of Quebecois on the team.

Finally, the Habs have WAY more francophones in management positions than any other NHL franchise. So we are "above average" in terms of Quebec representation on the ice and massively so in coaching and management.

Legault and his ilk should shut the f**k up.

Yeah, but they want at least 15 to be from Quebec. Like Dryden said 40 years ago, Montreal at some point will have to decide if what’s more important - winning or having more Quebecers (paraphrased of what I remember from The Game). 

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, but they want at least 15 to be from Quebec. Like Dryden said 40 years ago, Montreal at some point will have to decide if what’s more important - winning or having more Quebecers (paraphrased of what I remember from The Game). 

Frankly, I think quite a lot of Quebec fans are just like the posters on this site who you and I frequently get into argument with: fully satisfied with a bubble team, and, on some weird level that I cannot understand, having internalized the idea that icing a heavy-duty contender is something that happens to other franchises, and that it’s not a reasonable expectation for the Montreal Canadiens. Perhaps that’s what happens when your team has more-or-less sucked for all but two or three of the past 30 years.

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

True ... there are only 60 Quebec born players in the NHL currently ... and, as you say, many of the best do not want to return to Habs as UFAs ... so the key is drafting the right Francophone players, and signing the right undrafted players, the they are available ... Habs should have the most thorough knowledge of QMJHL players each draft year and every missed opportunity stands out like a sore thumb  ... but the Habs drafted Juulsen over Beauvillier and missed out on undrafted players like Yanni Gourde ... and it is not a new issue (Corey Urquhart over Patrice Bergeron) ... 

the habs have missed a a good Quebecer, because they drafted the wrong Quebecer as well - remember Gagne?  It hasn’t always been the case they passed on a local kid, and took an Anglo. It shouldn’t also matter, who they take. Should be the best available player. Bigger issue has been in being correct in their determination of the BAP. 

I think if the premier wants to take a shot at someone, it should be Quebec players who don’t want to play here. Keep in mind that Quebecers like Bergeron said they grow up hating the habs. So there is that as well. We also dodged a bullet because Lecavalier didn’t want to come back home. Even when he was bought out in TB, he choose cold city of brotherly love over Montreal - so warm climate wasn’t the cause.

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

100% agree and I've said the same thing for years.  So many Habs alumni are involved in the Q that the Habs should have the inside scoop on basically every player in that league.  ex: the Habs should have been aware that Patrice Bergeron's grandmother died and he had a crap year and drastically fell in draft positioning. 

However, I have also questioned if the high # of francophone people in management is a big part of the Habs problem?  i.e.  it seems like they all essentially think the same, and thats likely due to them all having similar influences, that are all French and ex-Habs.  

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I am a fan of exaggeration to make a point ... but you do realize that "they" are largely a vocal element of certain in the French media, for whom it may either be sincerely important or simply a means to an end, while most of the the Franco fanbase may ideally want more Francophone players they would prioritize winning.

BTW, what Ken actually said was: "You know, within the context of the overall success of the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club in the years and decades to come, those desirous of the team incorporating more Francophones will in the due course of time face a decision as to whether their preference is for the Montreal NHL franchise to draft or otherwise acquire the maximum number of players from Quebec, or even of Francophone heritage, or for that hockey enterprise to optimize their performance on the ice and thereby provide the 'partisans' the greatest opportunity to absorb the glory of the team they support winning the ultimate championship of the great sport invented in Kingston Ontario, or perhaps one of several cities in Nova Scotia, over a hundred years ago; of course ..."

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am a fan of exaggeration to make a point ... but you do realize that "they" are largely a vocal element of certain in the French media, for whom it may either be sincerely important or simply a means to an end, while most of the the Franco fanbase may ideally want more Francophone players they would prioritize winning.

BTW, what Ken actually said was: "You know, within the context of the overall success of the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club in the years and decades to come, those desirous of the team incorporating more Francophones will in the due course of time face a decision as to whether their preference is for the Montreal NHL franchise to draft or otherwise acquire the maximum number of players from Quebec, or even of Francophone heritage, or for that hockey enterprise to optimize their performance on the ice and thereby provide the 'partisans' the greatest opportunity to absorb the glory of the team they support winning the ultimate championship of the great sport invented in Kingston Ontario, or perhaps one of several cities in Nova Scotia, over a hundred years ago; of course ..."

The issue is the vocal (potentially minority) is who concerns Molson. If the majority was more vocal in telling that vocal group, Molson probably wouldn’t be so terrified and show some balls.

I was too lazy to dig out the book, but like I said - I’m paraphrasing and am not nearly as eloquent as Dryden.😁

14 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The issue is the vocal (potentially minority) is who concerns Molson. If the majority was more vocal in telling that vocal group, Molson probably wouldn’t be so terrified and show some balls.

I was too lazy to dig out the book, but like I said - I’m paraphrasing and am not nearly as eloquent as Dryden.😁

The Gazette should do some polling to find out how important it really is ... they could frame it in the context of measuring agreement with Premier Legault and Mayor Valérie Plante's comments ... but it has to be more than "Do you think the canadiens should have more Francophone players" ... it should measure its relative importance versus winning, acceptance of fewer Francophone players if the team is a Cup contender, and the same for the GM and the coach.

Today Legault announced new French language laws. I only understood part of it but part of this new law is that business must be done in French. 

The way they described this law means that the Habs management must conduct business in French alone - meaning no Anglo coach or GM

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Today Legault announced new French language laws. I only understood part of it but part of this new law is that business must be done in French. 

The way they described this law means that the Habs management must conduct business in French alone - meaning no Anglo coach or GM

Per CBC, the new law would apply Bill 101 to businesses with 25-49 employees and federal workplaces.

I expect the Montreal Canadiens have more than 49 employees.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Really? Is this the 1800s?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic