2021 NHL General Discussion

hab29RETIRED

I think the guys in the local radio said it best - Torts is a coach who can make average players into good players, but drives good/great players crazy. I think that's very true. I think they are also right that he tends to make everything about himself.  Take the PLD situation for instance. What reason was there to open his mouth about private matters? Completely unprofessional and just inserts himself into the middle of the situation. 

Torts has openly said that the team is disjointed, on and off the ice. Guess what the coach's job is? To get the team to play together. Not only is he not doing that, he is frequently the source of the drama that is fracturing the team.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Duchene, Dubois, Johansen. Does no one else see how all three of these players are notoriously overrated and often lack effort? I actually wanted the Habs to trade Galchenyuk for Duchene years ago, but he also had his issues in Ottawa, re: The “taxi squad”. He’s not exactly a model player, and many people here would agree.

All three of Dubois, Duchene, and Johansen are players who NEED a good kick in the a$$. If they are that sensitive then so be it. 

Outside of "the shift," Dubiis does not have that reputation. Even Torts trusted his two-way play by playing him on the penalty kill. Maybe he is a tad overrated when people talk about him as big time #1C, but how many players his age have 60+ goals and 150+ points while also playing two-way hockey that was good even for Torts most nights? "The shift" is not reflective of him as a player. It was just a reaction to his coach publicly making him out to be the bad guy.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

All coaches have a shelf life, and the disciplinarian types can be short.  Its Torts 5th season in Columbus, he's reaching the end with that style.

The way he is managing his players right now, it seems like he WANTS to get fired, so he can go somewhere else like Seattle.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My theory with Torts is that he does well with impressionable young teams. His sojourn with an accomplished veteran team in Van, by contrast, was a comical debacle.

And yeah, beyond that, five years tends to be any coach's "best before" date...much like the way any Canadian PM approaching Year 10 is as good as doomed.

I think it's a debacle right now in Columbus. They seem to be better in the standings because of the games that Dallas and  Carolina has missed.

14 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The way he is managing his players right now, it seems like he WANTS to get fired, so he can go somewhere else like Seattle.

I appreciate your argument in general on the topic but this has biased opinion written all over it. While it is possible that someone wouldn’t enjoy their work place, I find it extremely unlikely that Tortorella wants to get fired. 

It’s not a matter of all of the players saying the right things... (Laine said he deserved some repercussion) It’s merely a matter of the media blowing things out of proportion and Columbus fan being displeased with the perceived notion that Tortorella runs players out of town. 

Tortorella will indeed eventually get fired but for all the smack he gets because of his unique mannerisms, he’s also far and away better than many coaches in the league, including his predecessor in Columbus, Todd Richards.

I watched Torts in Van, and what I saw in that disaster of a season was a guy who figured out quite early that he'd lost the team and knew he was as good as gone.

He may be acting the same way now in Columbus. Exceptions like that sweaty, drooling idiot Therrien aside, coaches aren't stupid, they know when they've lost the room.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Awful news but we all expected it. I am a huge fan and if he can afford to then I hope he retires 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Awful news but we all expected it. I am a huge fan and if he can afford to then I hope he retires 

Career earnings of $23M+ according to CapFriendly so he should be fine financially.

But letting go of the game is hard for many players.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Career earnings of $23M+ according to CapFriendly so he should be fine financially.

But letting go of the game is hard for many players.

Hopefully ... but between taxes and "friends" milking them dry for help or with "can't miss investments" it can sometimes be surprising what players actually have left ... 

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully ... but between taxes and "friends" milking them dry for help or with "can't miss investments" it can sometimes be surprising what players actually have left ... 

Indeed, poor investments (or not listening to professional advice) are far too common for pro athletes. Still, one hopes this is not a problem. 

Did Charlie O Finley return from the grave and buy the Golden Knights?

image.png

Congrats Mikko (Koivu), on a great career. 

C6C3A0D5-A4D2-430F-8748-5FA7421E981C.jpeg

Certain obvious things catch my eye - like how some franchises have yet to have their legendary superstar - Columbus, Florida, Nashville. 

but also how no Toronto player has crossed the 1000 point mark. 

Matthews is well on his way. But that it hasn’t happened yet is notable. 

43 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Certain obvious things catch my eye - like how some franchises have yet to have their legendary superstar - Columbus, Florida, Nashville. 

but also how no Toronto player has crossed the 1000 point mark. 

Matthews is well on his way. But that it hasn’t happened yet is notable. 

While I’m surprised Sundin doesn’t have 1000, TO doesn’t have a history of superstars, really. They do, of course, have a history of “very good” players, stars like Sittler, Salming, Armstrong, Red Kelley, Mahovlich, etc.. Some - Sundin and Mahovlich for example - were indeed truly top-end players in their time, but Mahovlich was driven out of town, just like Sittler and a few others; meanwhile, the undeniably great Salming was a defenceman, so less likely to hit that threshold. The point being, there is no equivalent to Guy Lafleur or Jean Beliveau in Leafs history. 

When it comes to Columbus, Rick Nash ended his career With 805 points, though much of it was in New York with a spice of Boston. 

It is interesting to note that even still statistically speaking, he wasn’t up there with the Joe Sakics, Mike Modanos, etc.

While Joe Sakic is perhaps too elite of a comparable, I was a teenager when Rick Nash got started in the NHL, and I viewed him similarly to some of the other elite players that were on team Canada. Perhaps he wasn’t at their level. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While I’m surprised Sundin doesn’t have 1000, TO doesn’t have a history of superstars, really. They do, of course, have a history of “very good” players, stars like Sittler, Salming, Armstrong, Red Kelley, Mahovlich, etc.. Some - Sundin and Mahovlich for example - were indeed truly top-end players in their time, but Mahovlich was driven out of town, just like Sittler and a few others; meanwhile, the undeniably great Salming was a defenceman, so less likely to hit that threshold. The point being, there is no equivalent to Guy Lafleur or Jean Beliveau in Leafs history. 

Bourque is the only D on the list, I think? 1500+ points is bloody impressive for a D, I have to grudgingly admit!

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Looks like Galchenyuk has another new team.  

To Carolina

Paquette + Galchenyuk

To Ottawa

Dzingel

Did Carolina want Galchenyuk or did Dorion have to include him for "internal cap" purposes?
Hurricanes still save $600K+

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Did Carolina want Galchenyuk or did Dorion have to include him for "internal cap" purposes?
Hurricanes still save $600K+

When you think MB turned that POS Galchenyuk into Josh Anderson - it’s almost enough to make you forget the Drouin trade, LOL

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

When you think MB turned that POS Galchenyuk into Josh Anderson - it’s almost enough to make you forget the Drouin trade, LOL

Over the years we have all ragged on MB plenty but the Galchenyuck for Domi for Anderson deal along with the Weber for Subban have cemented his legacy (and saved his bacon)

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And Drouin being on a 60pt pace, same as he was in Aug, also helps.:thumbs_up:

Granted 99.99% of folks would take Sergachev in a heartbeat over him and want a redo.

(Drouin's family i am factoring in)

41 minutes ago, DON said:

And Drouin being on a 60pt pace, same as he was in Aug, also helps.:thumbs_up:

Granted 99.99% of folks would take Sergachev in a heartbeat over him and want a redo.

(Drouin's family i am factoring in)

I’ll get flamed for saying this, but I see Drouin as a beneficiary of playing with Suzuki and especially Anderson. All he has to do is get Anderson the puck and points ensue. Not that getting him the puck is negligible skill - he’s holding his own as a member of the line - but Drouin still looks like a secondary player to me. Another way to put it is that he’s a hothouse flower: put him in exactly the optimal situation, with a puck-possession behemoth like Anderson, and sure, he does fine. The minute anything goes wrong, watch him wilt.

• Upvote 1

Galchenyuk to the Leafs 

14 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Galchenyuk to the Leafs 

Leafs managed to dump two useless(ish) contacts off their total in the process (Korshkov and Warsofsky) ... Dubas is better than I want to give him credit for.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic