Jan. 16, Habs vs Oilers, 7 PM

dlbalr

cut.jpg

https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/16/full/4231_montreal_canadiens-jersey-2000.png https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/12/full/5511_edmonton_oilers-jersey-2020.png

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Evans - Lehkonen

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Kulak - Romanov

Price

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Kassian
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Archibald - Turris - Puljujarvi
Nygard - Shore - Chiasson

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Koekkoek - Barrie

Koskinen

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I want to see 

Romanov Weber

kulak Petry

Chairot Edmundson 

IMO, let's wait a while ... Alexander has one NHL game under his belt ... it will happen in due time.

52 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I want to see 

Romanov Weber

kulak Petry

Chairot Edmundson 

I am guessing Room-Room will not move up until the 8th or 10th game

And maybe the pairs could be:

Romanov-Weber

Chiarot-Petry

Kulak-Edmundson

1 hour ago, DON said:

Petry-Romanov might work fine also. 

Petry needs a reliable LD (EDIT: stay at home) to do well.

Petry and Romanov together may be too risky

Edited by alfredoh2009

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Petry needs a reliable LD (EDIT: stay at home) to do well.

Petry and Romanov together may be too risky

Ì

No he doesnt.

Petry and Kulak with both taking turns pushing the offence was the best D pair in the NHL over 2 seasons 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ì

No he doesnt.

Petry and Kulak with both taking turns pushing the offence was the best D pair in the NHL over 2 seasons 

I keep saying this too but we seem to be alone.  

Kulak and Petry were very very good together.  Best pairing we have had in a while. 

I worry about Weber and chairot mobility 

• Upvote 1

I think the eventual plan might be putting Romanov with Weber, but they learned from Mete.  Just because this is what they would like, doesn’t mean it should happen right away.  Let the kid get used to the NHL, then put him against better players.  

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

Our depth will be key here. The oilers 3rd and 4th line look like a dogs breakfast to me on the surface. Their D does not compare to ours.

But with 2 MVPs on top 2 lines will it matter?

A shut down by Danault on one of them will be needed and seeing as Habs PK sucked last year, a more successful PK would be a bonus and or staying out of box.

I have a lot of trouble seeing the Oil as a structurally strong team. You know me, I always look to the back end, and theirs is simply not great.

This is a short season and as others have observed, it can spin away from you very quickly. This game is disproportionately important for a second game of a regular season...a loss means furrowed brows, deepening concern, and the spectre of a disastrous Western swing putting them behind the 8-ball early. A win puts things on a even keel.

1 hour ago, DON said:

But with 2 MVPs on top 2 lines will it matter?

A shut down by Danault on one of them will be needed and seeing as Habs PK sucked last year, a more successful PK would be a bonus and or staying out of box.

Staying out of the penalty box is key against Edmonton as their power play is deadly.  The Habs are definitely better 5 on 5, the Oiler defence (especially with Klefbom gone for the year) is mediocre, goaltending is questionable (big edge for the Habs here) but McDavid is the best player in the world, likely a high scoring game.

49 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Staying out of the penalty box is key against Edmonton as their power play is deadly.  The Habs are definitely better 5 on 5, the Oiler defence (especially with Klefbom gone for the year) is mediocre, goaltending is questionable (big edge for the Habs here) but McDavid is the best player in the world, likely a high scoring game.

Basically the same key to the game as in the Toronto game.  I hope our guys learned their lesson about how a few dumb penalties can wipe out a lot of superior 5 on 5 gameplay and a lead.

Apparently Price has 3 wins in his last 13 games against the Oilers ... either YIKES or he's due

Tatar passed to Chiartot, then streaked down the middle to the net twice in the same shift.  Both times if he was ready Chiarot had an open pass to Tatar for a one-timer in the slot.  Both times Tatar wasn't ready nor looking for a pass.

After one perod, it’s soooo obvious that Edmonton is a two player team.

Sure RNH has some upside, and I think Larsson is really good. But the rest?

McJesus will have a few breakaways every now and then, can’t really blame Edmunson for looking slow when he accelerate like that!