Jan. 16, Habs vs Oilers, 7 PM

dlbalr

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Had tree trunk legs!

yep. Unfortunately Drouin only has a tree trunk hockey IQ.

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

EDIT: I also wanted to praise the broadcast team tonight. I haven’t heard them before, but the announcer has some panache and the colour analyst was solid. Hope we see more of them. It’s shocking to say, but I like a lot of what Sportsnet is doing with these broadcasts.

The PBP voice was Harnaryan Singh, the usual Punjabi PBP guy who doesn't seem to be doing that one now.  (It looks like the PBP teams are largely going to be regionalized instead of traveling much for games so we'll probably see him a few times.)  My expectations were pretty low going in considering that this was only his second game in English (as far as I'm aware) but he did pretty well.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not the first three for sure.  Couldn’t they send Byron down and wouldn’t that save more money?  I can’t see anyone picking him up with 3 yrs at $3.5m.  Being a COVID lay-off casualty myself last month, hate to see a guy getting hit, when he’s more than earned his pay.

They'd save a bit more with Byron - $1.075M.  I think they'd sneak him through without being claimed as well but clearly, it's something they don't want to try at this point.

11 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Poor ol Byron... 

I would send the whole group of rookies down together. keep minimum requirements and get the CAP savings immediatley and do it fairly for all waiver exempt players. They can make side deals to recover those lost dollars who we kidding 

You can't send them all down at once.  You have to have a minimum number of players on the roster, even on an off-day. 

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Drouin: what he’s doing real well right now is passing the puck. It’s a new role for him - being linemate to a behemoth speedster goal-scorer who should obviously do the puck-carrying. All he has to do is get him the puck and follow up on the play. This may help him a LOT by adding some structure to his game. He doesn’t have to try skating end to end or doing it all himself. That kind of more contained self-definition will allow him to play a smarter game.

To Drouin's credit, passing the puck and following is not something Armia and Toffoli seem to be able to do at the pace needed by Suzuki and Anderson.

So there is that much of a positive from Dru.

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

To Drouin's credit, passing the puck and following is not something Armia and Toffoli seem to be able to do at the pace needed by Suzuki and Anderson.

Wasn’t the Drouin-Suzuki-Armia line working fairly well in the post-season? Or is my memory failing me?

This is not claim that Armia is as good a skater, though.

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

No question, Drouin has the excellent hand-eye skills and skating to play the role of handmaiden to Anderson. Neither Armia nor Toffoli can make plays at that level. 

16 hours ago, Neech said:

Hopefully we can look as dominant in 48 hours.  What a strange schedule with lots of mini-series, but it seems like we have the depth to handle it.

Oilers supposedly have good record in 2nd game of back to back lately. They looked weak vs Canucks in game 1, than walked all over them in 2nd game.

So just gotta hope Habs bring the same effort and seem to have deeper team for sure.

Keep pounding on their weak d and suspect tender(s), hope Price has same type of game and another game with a PP goal should do it.:clap:

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No question, Drouin has the excellent hand-eye skills and skating to play the role of handmaiden to Anderson. Neither Armia nor Toffoli can make plays at that level. 

don’t get me wrong, I have accepted the fact that Drouin cannot be “the guy” you can count on to win a game. But he is an excellent supplemental piece for the Suzuki-Anderson tandem

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

You can't send them all down at once.  You have to have a minimum number of players on the roster, even on an off-day. 

I did write keep minimum requirements... i think its 21 players

...and I thought Lehkonen was our weak link last night....

Toffoli still not up to were I expected, but am confident he will get there.

Armia not finishing, hopefully that corrects itself soon.

Other than that, I thought or forwards were solid.  Remember - we kept McDadvid and Draisatl in check all night.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Oilers supposedly have good record in 2nd game of back to back lately. They looked weak vs Canucks in game 1, than walked all over them in 2nd game.

I expect game 2 to be much tougher, it will be hard to win a lot of back to backs as the losing team in game 1 should be fired up for game 2. I was reading the Edmonton Journal and long time Oiler scribe Terry Jones predicted the Oilers to finish 2nd in the North Division.  I think that's pretty darn optimistic given that they have the worst goaltending in the division and a mediocre defense. Puts a lot of pressure on McDavid and Draisaitl. 

41 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Toffoli still not up to were I expected, but am confident he will get there.

Let's not forget that he's been asked to play on his off side. It's gonna take him a while to adjust! New team, new line mates and new position!

1 minute ago, Habsfan said:

Let's not forget that he's been asked to play on his off side. It's gonna take him a while to adjust! New team, new line mates and new position!

I question how much it impacts players offensively ... for quite some time forwards have moved east-west almost as much as north-south offensively ... wingers frequently find themselves on the "off-wing"

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

It's gonna take him a while to adjust! New team, new line mates and new position!

I have seen Anderson skate up and take it hard to the net from both wings, so dont know how much should factor in? And Anderson is coming off surgery.

BUT, has just been 2 games and hope he takes off like he did with the Canucks, or they maybe bump Armia to 4th line if need be?

The day after the game practice ... Romanov destroys Jake Allen's water bottle ...

While Suzuki introduces Lindgren to his backhander

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

When will we see Allen, anyway? Calgary would be the most obvious opening, unless Carey prefers to avoid the hassle of the "hometown" show in Van.

Logic, especially perhaps Julien logic, may suggest Thursday against Vancouver (the second of the back-to-back ... They then have a day off before the third game in Van, 4 days until the home opener against Calgary, a day off before the second Calgary game and a day off before the first of back-to-backs against Vancouver at home ... so the next "logical" game for Allen may be another 11 days and 4 games later ... have to wonder if Claude will embrace the "lightening" of Carey's workload.

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

i could see Allen playing Monday, 

{Price Wednesday

Allen Thursday. 

Price Home opener. 

*** I *** agree ... just not sure Julien can change his "stripes" so easily.

If they don't start Allen tomorrow, Price is going to wind up starting 5 of 6 on the road (assuming Allen gets the back-to-back game in Vancouver) and then the first two home games have a day in between so he probably gets both of those.  All of a sudden, Price is playing more than he was last year.  If Allen is starting tomorrow, I won't be happy; he can't just play back-to-backs.