Jan. 16, Habs vs Oilers, 7 PM

dlbalr

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Everyone looked good, but I don’t like he make up of the KK line.

It's  Armia he seems lost on that line. Like I had mentioned they should add Perry on that line. He would stand in front of the net and open up better scoring chances. Or maybe add Byron on their to give them more speed.

• Upvote 1

I LOVE what i'm seeing from this team! Petry and Tuna with 2 goals each! Gallagher and Danault with 2 assists each! Carey making a few awesome saves! Lovin' it!

But what I loved the most about this game, our boys shut down both Draisaitl and McDavid. Well done boys!

Just browsed the rosters from the last 20 seasons. Can tell allready that this is one of the most interrsting team in that period.

I think Drouin was our best player tonight. Just praying that he is the late bloomer we all hope for. (Marty St Louis comparison, anyone? Wasn’t he in his mid 20s when he got it together?)

Ice time for the defence:

Chiarot: 23:04

Weber: 21:59

Petry: 21:36

Edmundson: 21:26

Romanov: 15:49

Kulak: 14:38

I like seeing someone other than Weber at the top and those are certainly manageable minutes.  A couple minutes more for the third pairing would have been ideal given that the game was basically over in the second period but that's just me nitpicking.

Good balance up front as well - Toffoli led with 17:21, Evans was last at 12:31.

• Upvote 2

That was a fun game to watch...we did a lot of things right.  Unfortunate that we let up with the big lead and cost Carey the shutout, but was to be expected while playing so far ahead.  I'd like to see Toffoli and Gallagher get on the board, but they were doing the right things at least and will be rewarded sooner than later if they keep it up.  The only Hab that just looks clueless out there after two games is Armia.

10 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

The only Hab that just looks clueless out there after two games is Armia.

He did have a late breakaway chance.

He declined to join Assat with Kotkaniemi and get some real games in. It might have made a difference.

16 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

That was a fun game to watch...we did a lot of things right.  Unfortunate that we let up with the big lead and cost Carey the shutout, but was to be expected while playing so far ahead.  I'd like to see Toffoli and Gallagher get on the board, but they were doing the right things at least and will be rewarded sooner than later if they keep it up.  The only Hab that just looks clueless out there after two games is Armia.

I have to say that I agree about Armia. Sucks to see him so clueless out there after two games...then again, it's only been two games. I think we can give him 5 games to get his game together!

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He did have a late breakaway chance.

He declined to join Assat with Kotkaniemi and get some real games in. It might have made a difference.

good point 

30 minutes ago, ch_nl said:

Just browsed the rosters from the last 20 seasons. Can tell allready that this is one of the most interrsting team in that period.

I think Drouin was our best player tonight. Just praying that he is the late bloomer we all hope for. (Marty St Louis comparison, anyone? Wasn’t he in his mid 20s when he got it together?)

Marty St. Louis?

are you kidding me... we could only dream of Drouin turning into Marty St. Louis... Thats a wet dream BTW

I disagree with the toffoli line not looking good. Sure they didnt score and got caught up in there own zone a few times but they pinned them in as well.

-Toffoli easily could of had a couple goal

-He also had Armia on the back side on a 2 on 1 and shot wide.

-KK hit a post and missed a chance in the slot.

Its only game 2... We went the whole preseason with these lines. I think there worthy of a at least 4/5 games before mixing it up.

Suzuki was quiet tonight... But so was Mc david and Draisiatal for the most part. I wonder how much TOI vs those 2 he played. Same with KK

With that said, the first move id do is reunite the Suzuki line from the playoffs of Drouin Suzuki Armia and give KK and Toffoli that beast Anderson to really open up space with a fast heavy forecheck

i wouldnt touch the 1st or 4th lines right now

11 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Marty St. Louis?

are you kidding me... we could only dream of Drouin turning into Marty St. Louis... Thats a wet dream BTW

I think the point is that late blooming is possible. I think St Louis was 26 or 27 when he first started scoring at a near-point/game pace.

Drouin, too, could still bloom, even if he doesn’t reach the same heights.

It’s been a long, long time since I’ve seen the Habs dominate a team like they dominated EDM during most of the first period. It reminded me of late-80s early-90s Habs. We saw there a team that has a very high ceiling - if they can put it all together consistently.

Sure, the game was more balanced thereafter, but that’s par for the course once you’ve build a big lead. Price was in Beast Mode anyway.

Edmunson offered some reassurance after a pretty stink-o game. Romanov, meanwhile, impressed again. So confident with the puck. And Old Man Petry just seems to get better and better. He is amazing.

I don’t know why people are down on Armia. He seemed involved to me. I like Toffoli as a player - a smart vet with hands, albeit mediocre foot speed - but he had some bizarre bobbles tonight. Probably his timing is off because of the lack of a pre-season, but I do wonder if the shift to LW is messing him up just a tad?

Anyway, not too many negatives tonight. I am a little worried that they’re going to start over-using the stretch pass. Dollars to donuts Calgary and Vancouver will be ready for it and burn them.

Drouin: what he’s doing real well right now is passing the puck. It’s a new role for him - being linemate to a behemoth speedster goal-scorer who should obviously do the puck-carrying. All he has to do is get him the puck and follow up on the play. This may help him a LOT by adding some structure to his game. He doesn’t have to try skating end to end or doing it all himself. That kind of more contained self-definition will allow him to play a smarter game.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s been a long, long time since I’ve seen the Habs dominate a team like they dominated EDM during most of the first period. It reminded me of late-80s early-90s Habs. We saw there a team that has a very high ceiling - if they can put it all together consistently.

Sure, the game was more balanced thereafter, but that’s par for the course once you’ve build a big lead. Price was in Beast Mode anyway.

Edmunson offered some reassurance after a pretty stink-o game. Romanov, meanwhile, impressed again. So confident with the puck. And Old Man Petry just seems to get better and better. He is amazing.

I don’t know why people are down on Armia. He seemed involved to me. I like Toffoli as a player - a smart vet with hands, albeit mediocre foot speed - but he had some bizarre bobbles tonight. Probably his timing is off because of the lack of a pre-season, but I do wonder if the shift to LW is messing him up just a tad?

Anyway, not too many negatives tonight. 

We are definitely looking pretty darn good right now

Can you imagine how good Romanov can be once he and Kulak get familiarized with each other? Overall, Romanov's poise has been fantastic and Kulak looks pretty good along side him. Very impressed with what I've seen but I was expecting it.

Has Edmundson really looked that bad? He does look fairly slow out there but maybe thats because we're mesmerized by Romanov flying around the ice and were comparing the two. It also doesnt help that his current partner is such a slick skater himself. Petry has looked really good and off to his best start ever. How much is it about a big ass steady presence in the back with him in Edmundson?

4 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i would think he were a few breaks away from blowing the leafs game open as well

Leafs have high-end scorers, which the Habs don’t - unless Anderson turns out to be that guy (which he might, he looks unbelievable). Against a team with that firepower, you can have the better of the play and still lose because of a handful of explosive plays by your opponent.

That worried me a bit tonight - we completely owned EDM in the first and yet came out of it only ahead by one. Last year’s team needed endless chances in order to bury one. Despite averaging 5 goals per game (LOL) this team is still not exactly the 1987 Oilers, but should have more offensive pop overall than last year’s pop-gun shooters.

EDIT: I also wanted to praise the broadcast team tonight. I haven’t heard them before, but the announcer has some panache and the colour analyst was solid. Hope we see more of them. It’s shocking to say, but I like a lot of what Sportsnet is doing with these broadcasts.

57 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think the point is that late blooming is possible. I think St Louis was 26 or 27 when he first started scoring at a near-point/game pace.

Drouin, too, could still bloom, even if he doesn’t reach the same heights.

i get it... its why i said its a dream. A wet dream in fact. Having Drouin blossom into an Art Ross/ Hart trophy winning, Stanley Cup Champion would be absolutely marvellous. I do agree that Drouin could have a career year and reach a hefty 70 even 80 point season. If that were to in fact happen, I would have to believe has more to do with Suzuki turning into a St. Louis calibre player then Drouin

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

The non-waiver options are Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, and Evans. Which one do you want to upset for future contract negotiations?

Not the first three for sure.  Couldn’t they send Byron down and wouldn’t that save more money?  I can’t see anyone picking him up with 3 yrs at $3.5m.  Being a COVID lay-off casualty myself last month, hate to see a guy getting hit, when he’s more than earned his pay.

1 hour ago, ch_nl said:

Last 20 years?  Go back a bit further to the Roy trade.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Leafs have high-end scorers, which the Habs don’t - unless Anderson turns out to be that guy (which he might, he looks unbelievable). Against a team with that firepower, you can have the better of the play and still lose because of a handful of explosive plays by your opponent.

That worried me a bit tonight - we completely owned EDM in the first and yet came out of it only ahead by one. Last year’s team needed endless chances in order to bury one. Despite averaging 5 goals per game (LOL) this team is still not exactly the 1987 Oilers, but should have more offensive pop overall than last year’s pop-gun shooters.

EDIT: I also wanted to praise the broadcast team tonight. I haven’t heard them before, but the announcer has some panache and the colour analyst was solid. Hope we see more of them. It’s shocking to say, but I like a lot of what Sportsnet is doing with these broadcasts.

what i meant was after holding a 3-1 lead and dominating much of 5v5. They caught some bad breaksand the game went 3-3 instead of 4-1

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not the first three for sure.  Couldn’t they send Byron down and wouldn’t that save more money?  I can’t see anyone picking him up with 3 yrs at $3.5m.  Being a COVID lay-off casualty myself last month, hate to see a guy getting hit, when he’s more than earned his pay.

Poor ol Byron... 

I would send the whole group of rookies down together. keep minimum requirements and get the CAP savings immediatley and do it fairly for all waiver exempt players. They can make side deals to recover those lost dollars who we kidding 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Marty St. Louis?

Yeah - no. St. Louis always worked hard.  His issue was he was overlooked at all levels because if his size.  No issues ever with work ethic.  Yeah, he needed to adjust once in the NHL, but never really got a chance in Calgary.  St. Louis always worked hard, was a much smarter player and worked harder  to be stronger, despite his size.  The guy was small, but was muscular and ripped.  Drouin?  Skill, but not much IQ or work ethic.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah - no. St. Louis always worked hard.  His issue was he was overlooked at all levels because if his size.  No issues ever with work ethic.  Yeah, he needed to adjust once in the NHL, but never really got a chance in Calgary.  St. Louis always worked hard, was a much smarter player and worked harder  to be stronger, despite his size.  The guy was small, but was muscular and ripped.  Drouin?  Skill, but not much IQ or work ethic.

Had tree trunk legs!

Test for us will be Monday, if we can dominate again then we might be as good as I think we are. 

Still don’t like kk line and again I know it’s only 2 games. At some point if things don’t click then drop Armia to 4th, put Toffoli on the right and move Lehkonen up. Same kind of line but Toffoli will be on his natural side. 

Overall a magnificent performance by the Habs