Jan. 18, Habs vs Oilers, 9 PM

dlbalr

image.jpg

https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/16/full/4231_montreal_canadiens-jersey-2000.png https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/12/full/7856_edmonton_oilers-jersey-2018.png

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Evans - Lehkonen

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Kulak - Romanov

Allen

Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Kassian
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Nygard - Turris - Puljujarvi
Archibald - Shore - Chiasson

Nurse - Koekkoek
Russell - Barrie
Lagesson - Larsson

Koskinen

Toffoli is a proven pro who can play the game. I would give him time to adjust. Now, if we want to flip Armia and Lehkonen, that’s fine by me, although I confess that I don’t see the big “problem” with their games thus far in the season - and Armia has more offensive upside than Lehkonen.

Tonight is a good opportunity to really own the Oilers. They will bring their A game for sure. If we slap ‘em down, that will be a pretty strong signal to the effect of, “sorry, you just can’t beat us.” A valuable marker to put down early in the season in the Dollars Bill’s Discount Money Lenders North Division.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with their game per se, but Toffoli and Lehkonen are both on their off wing. I think the benefit of having them in their correct positions out weighs any potential benefit of more upside from Armia on the 3rd line 

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Toffoli is a proven pro who can play the game. I would give him time to adjust. Now, if we want to flip Armia and Lehkonen, that’s fine by me, although I confess that I don’t see the big “problem” with their games thus far in the season - and Armia has more offensive upside than Lehkonen.

I agree.

Toffoli has had many chances in his first 2 games. Easily could be our leading our team in scoring but for some lack of finish. Hes been able to get behind the D and break in on goal multiple times just to name but 1 type of scoring chance. Again, toffoli could easily have 3/4 points in 2 games if he or KK convert on a few of there chances.

I also like what Ive been seeing from the 4th line, no need to move the players around quite yet.

We have played 2 really good games and if not for some bad bounces coupled with costly errors against TO where instead of pulling away 4-1 in the 2nd we allowed them to go into the 3rd 3-3, we should easily be 2 and 0.

10 minutes ago, illWill said:

Nothing wrong with their game per se, but Toffoli and Lehkonen are both on their off wing. I think the benefit of having them in their correct positions out weighs any potential benefit of more upside from Armia on the 3rd line 

The off wing means absolutely nothing to that effect.  Toffoli has been playing just fine lining up on the left. He just hasn't been rewarded yet and has had glorious opportunities. The off wing won't effect his play in the O zone and arguable helps with getting better angles and looks on net! At this level, his ability to take a pass on his off wing in transition should not be a problem at all., he isn't in minor hockey or juniors... Gone are the days of the 1980's where wingers stayed on their side of the ice almost always. The game is played and taught differently now... its really just defence assignments once pinned in your zone that matters and where you line up on face offs less we worry about how they recieve passes in transition 

Its been two games.  Two games that the team played pretty well.  Id give a guy who is new to the team plenty of time to adjust to new linemates before we start juggling the lines.

We didnt even have exhibition games this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Commandant said:

Its been two games.  Two games that the team played pretty well.  Id give a guy who is new to the team plenty of time to adjust to new linemates before we start juggling the lines.

Yeah. Toffoli’s weird bobbles with the puck in close are probably suggestive of the “timing” issues that players often talk about when they’re shaking off rust. Add to that a new team (and a new position) and you have to give him a few games at least before getting worried.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No doubt, way too early to talk about juggling lines. Give these guys a chance. 

I would not change the lineup until they finish the road trip except for giving Allen two games.

once they are back in Montreal, they will have the last change and a better opportunity to try new combinations (if needed)

• Upvote 1

Hopefully the lineup above is correct ... not only because I think it is too early to juggle the lines but because I don't think it is a good idea to give Allen his first start as a Hab against an "annoyed" McDavid and Draisaitl ... 

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully the lineup above is correct ... not only because I think it is too early to juggle the lines but because I don't think it is a good idea to give Allen his first start as a Hab against an "annoyed" McDavid and Draisaitl ... 

I think Allen would be more than capable of handling them for a game, annoyed or not

Also, it would keep Price fresh and ready to play two games out of three in Vancouver 

if not, then what was the point of signing Allen :spamafote:

• Upvote 2

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

I think Allen would be more than capable of handling them for a game, annoyed or not

Also, it would keep Price fresh and ready to play two games out of three in Vancouver 

if not, then what was the point of signing Allen :spamafote:

Fair point ... but frankly it is the team more than the goalie that concerns me tonight ... easy to be subconsciously overconfident ... 

If the Habs weren’t scoring 4 and 5 goals a game, I would be more concerned about Toffoli.  The team is scoring, let him settle in a build some chemistry.

Tonight vs Edmonton would be a great time to start Allen.  He’s familiar with the players from St Louis and outside Draisatl and McDavid, there’s not a whole lot of offence.  Great game to get his feet wet. 

16 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Fair point ... but frankly it is the team more than the goalie that concerns me tonight ... easy to be subconsciously overconfident ... 

I don't think the idea of starting Allen is due to overconfidence at all.  As I noted in the other thread, it's a usage thing more than anything else, just to keep him fresh and give Price the extra rest that they're trying to give him.  There aren't many freebie games in this division and even Ottawa is far from a pushover.  Allen is going to have to play against quality teams and it can't just be in back-to-back situations.  As fans, if we're claiming to have two starting-calibre goalies, we should be comfortable with Allen playing in just about any situation.

I’m for Hoping for Allen tonight and Thursday. 

So some of the starting numbers discussed before season start was Price 36/Allen 20, which puts Price at 64% of starting. If we break it up on this 6 game road trip and have Price 4/Allen 2, that puts it at 67% for Price. On pace with our ideal breakup of starting numbers of 64%. 

TOFFOLI

- be worried if he and his line are not generating any chances. Clearly that's not the case.

PRICE

-Im of the belief Price should start tonight.

Fatigue should not be an issue at all given there was zero exhibition games to play, coming off a 4 month break. Allen will get his games in these upcoming weeks as we begin to play more games.

price played on wed

Off 2 days

Played on Saturday

Off 1 day

Play Monday

Off 2 days

Play Thursday

Off 1 day

play Saturday

then a 4 day break

Other option 

Played on Saturday

Off 3 days

Play Thursday

Off 1 day

Play Saturday

Then a 4 day break

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think the idea of starting Allen is due to overconfidence at all.  As I noted in the other thread, it's a usage thing more than anything else, just to keep him fresh and give Price the extra rest that they're trying to give him.  There aren't many freebie games in this division and even Ottawa is far from a pushover.  Allen is going to have to play against quality teams and it can't just be in back-to-back situations.  As fans, if we're claiming to have two starting-calibre goalies, we should be comfortable with Allen playing in just about any situation.

Not certain that Allen-Price-Allen-Price is really any different with "keeping Price fresh", which I fully support, than Price-Allen-Price-Allen ... BTW, in terms of "freshness" the P-A-P-A sequence gives Carey 6 days off before the home opener ... and I don't think Allen would be started because of a fear of the team being subconsciously, somewhat overconfident ... I would just would prefer to see Allen's first start be in more of a "clean slate" game. 

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Count me in the Allen camp. 

The whole idea was to keep Price rested. 

Allen should start 

I agree, plus it might give the boys a little more motivation not wanting to let Allen down in his first start with the Habs.  I expect a much different Oiler team tonight.

4 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

The off wing means absolutely nothing to that effect.  Toffoli has been playing just fine lining up on the left. He just hasn't been rewarded yet and has had glorious opportunities. The off wing won't effect his play in the O zone and arguable helps with getting better angles and looks on net! At this level, his ability to take a pass on his off wing in transition should not be a problem at all., he isn't in minor hockey or juniors... Gone are the days of the 1980's where wingers stayed on their side of the ice almost always. The game is played and taught differently now... its really just defence assignments once pinned in your zone that matters and where you line up on face offs less we worry about how they recieve passes in transition 

You're saying that it doesn't matter what side a winger plays on? Or even that it is better that he is on the off wing? Why do the majority of players play on their correct side? 

Typically the exception to this is for players with lethal shots who can rip one timers or based on necessity because of the composition of the roster. For once we finally have enough righties to balance it all out. 

I agree with everyone that the line is generating chances and that it is only two games. However I think switching Armia and Lehkonen is a pretty lateral move and it would benefit Toffoli to play where he is comfortable, especially with a new team and system. 

We all know Julien doesn't change the lineup if they team is playing well so nothing will change until they aren't, but at some point this might be a viable option. 

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... you have to give him a few games at least before getting worried.

So naïve, you must be new to HabsWorld.:nuts: