Jan. 18, Habs vs Oilers, 9 PM

dlbalr

Special teams did well, aside from shutout breaker, Evans put in a nice 9:22 (4:03 on the PK).

Allen made all the basic saves he should of and no soft goals.:clap:

Nifty play by Weber and great to see #27 get his 1st out of the way, smart shot.

etc etc

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Let’s walk before we run

Now that we know Allen is solid, I hope they use him about 12 games

I’d like to see him play more than that. It’s a short, but condensed season.  I’d like to ensure Price is well rested and the team has enough confidence in the backup than in the past if Price gets injured.

Nice to see Lekhonan and Romanov score!!

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

If Allen does what it looks like he might do, how do you deny starting him next game?  I know he's backing up Price, but shouldn't he of earned that reward?

Yes, for sure. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

In his Zoom this afternoon call Claude did mention one of the things that can lead to a change in their goaltending schedule is a "what it looks like Allen might do" ... and it would give price the two games separated by a day so it could work.

If I was the coach and he got a SO I'd play him in the next game.  It sucks Allen didnt get a shutout but after that performance I would likely play him again.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Now that we know Allen is solid, I hope they use him about 12 games

12 games is insanely low. 

Even if Price is having a great year if Allen can produce similar stats I'd consider playing him in 26 games.  Price hasn't had any real competition since Halak so if Allen is playing great too it will challenge Price to do better. 

5 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Yes, for sure. 

If I was the coach and he got a SO I'd play him in the next game.  It sucks Allen didnt get a shutout but after that performance I would likely play him again.

12 games is insanely low. 

Even if Price is having a great year if Allen can produce similar stats I'd consider playing him in 26 games.  Price hasn't had any real competition since Halak so if Allen is playing great too it will challenge Price to do better. 

That is about 17 games on an 82 game season.

Maybe 15 is a better number... My point is that the workload is closer to 80%-20% than 50%-50%

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That is about 17 games on an 82 game season.

Maybe 15 is a better number... My point is that the workload is closer to 80%-20% than 50%-50%

A good 1A/1B split in a full season would be something like 55/27 games. Translate that to this season, and it's 38/18. Given the compressed schedule, I would hope to see Allen somewhere in the high teens by the end of the season, assuming no injuries and both goalies playing well.

As a reference point, 17 games in a full season would give Price 65. He has played that many only four times in his career: 2010-11 (72 games, with Auld!), 2011-12 (65, with Budaj), 2014-15 (65, with Tokarski) and 2018-19 (66, with Niemi). 65 games (or equivalent) is a heavy load for any goaltender, and even more so for a 33yo in a compressed season.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. I also think that Allen should get 18 to 20 starts this season. The whole point of getting an experienced back up like him is to make sure Carey is rested when the playoffs start. If Carey can get about 34 to 36 starts, I think it's the perfect number of games. He shouldn't be too tired by the time the playoffs start!

The number Allen should get really is about 18 games, barring injuries for anyone.

I’m fine with any of

40-16

39-17

38-18

37-19

36-20

Basically the general range that’s been discussed here but the middle number is the golden one 👌

It’s the same as say a Rinne/Saros would have played when Nashville was in their prime.