Jan. 20, Habs vs Canucks, 10 PM

dlbalr

I had to miss the 3rd, unfortunately, but the first 2/3 of the game were marked by sloppy penalties and - mark this - the Habs’ inability to contain the Canucks’ elite young players. Petterson in particular was not to be denied. It was sort of the opposite of the EDM games, where we shut down the Big Two and the opponent accordingly had nothing. VAN is another top-heavy team, but this time we failed to neutralize the top talent, and therefore lost. 

Price, Price, Price. I’m getting a bit tired of his inconsistent early-season play year after year, frankly. 

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Price, Price, Price. I’m getting a bit tired of his inconsistent early-season play year after year, frankly. 

At least this year he has the excuse of not having 2-3 exhibition games.

The PK is the biggest problem to me.  I don’t know what I’m missing but why is the guy in the slot/screening Price never covered?  On the 2nd Boeser goal Edmundson was on the far side of the play covering nobody at all.  The guy in front of the net is his responsibility.  If it was a one off I would say blown coverage, but with this funnel setup being used, they completely ignore the most dangerous scoring position on the ice.

8 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

At least this year he has the excuse of not having 2-3 exhibition games.

The PK is the biggest problem to me.  I don’t know what I’m missing but why is the guy in the slot/screening Price never covered?  On the 2nd Boeser goal Edmundson was on the far side of the play covering nobody at all.  The guy in front of the net is his responsibility.  If it was a one off I would say blown coverage, but with this funnel setup being used, they completely ignore the most dangerous scoring position on the ice.

Excellent analysis. Edmunson is not helping, IMHO. Although we do have to give him time to adapt to new surroundings.

And Price was indeed thrown to the wolves more than once last night. Even when he’s “struggling” he rarely out-and-out sucks; rather it’s that he looks like an ordinary goalie, not quite “Price-ean,” not projecting that aura of unbeatability that he does when he’s dialed in. I had the feeling from puck-drop last night that something was slightly off about both the team and #31. One good sign is that they came away with a point, despite a mistakes-filled game with B-grade Carey.

In one of the VAN pp goals, Byron had gone to the bench to get a stick and got back late to cover the shot from the slot

so that tells me the forward is covering that spot and Ds are covering the front of the net.

on the other similar goal, forwards were nowhere to be seen

and I agree that Price has looked beatable in the two loses.

I would give Allen two games in a row if he is hot tonight 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

the Habs’ inability to contain the Canucks’ elite young players. Petterson in particular was not to be denied. It was sort of the opposite of the EDM games, where we shut down the Big Two and the opponent accordingly had nothing. VAN is another top-heavy team, but this time we failed to neutralize the top talent, and therefore lost. 

I felt they contained them pretty well 5 on 5. Selfish penalties and Price mediocre play were at fault I feel.

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I felt they contained them pretty well 5 on 5. Selfish penalties and Price mediocre play were at fault I feel.

Yup, Petterson, Virtanen and Boeser were all negative +/- in the game, and Petterson had no points. Horvat, I’m starting to not consider young. :D

Boeser killed us on the PP,

and played well offensively but if 2 of his points were even strength and he was still a -2, then he would have been on the ice for 4 of our goals for. Not exactly too much of a menace.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

:tumbleweed:ignore this post

13 minutes ago, DON said:

:tigi: please ignore

This seems to be a pattern ... LOL

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

This seems to be a pattern ... LOL

Musta froze brain snowmobiling today and managed to create 3 posts, 2 i didnt mean to.:bonk: