Jan 21, Habs vs Canucks, 9:30 PM

tomh009

29 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Given the recent tendency for penalties, might Frolik be the better choice ... except for 18/19 with Calgary, Frolik had at least a minute per game killing penalties since 2011/12

I'm thinking we unleash Corey Perry on the Canucks to send a message 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Habsfan said:

That's OK, it's part of the learning process for Romanov. I'm just happy that it happened in a game where the outcome was already sealed! No harm, no foul!

Yeah, I wasn’t attacking the kid, just observing what an egregious rookie play that was. He seems like a smart and confident player, I expect him to learn from it and adapt. But any time you give a rookie big minutes on D, you will occasionally get burned. Just reality.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, I wasn’t attacking the kid, just observing what an egregious rookie play that was. He seems like a smart and confident player, I expect him to learn from it and adapt. But any time you give a rookie big minutes on D, you will occasionally get burned. Just reality.

Every defenceman gets burned once in a while, especially rookies. Look what Suzuki did to Morgan Reilly in the Toronto game. I love the way Romanov plays, It's been a while since I have been this excited about the Habs. 

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Every defenceman gets burned once in a while, especially rookies. Look what Suzuki did to Morgan Reilly in the Toronto game. I love the way Romanov plays, It's been a while since I have been this excited about the Habs. 

I’ve been telling everybody he’s the best Habs rookie I think I’ve ever seen in nearly 20 years of watching fairly regularly.  In 5 games he’s made one noticeable bad defensive play, and many noticeable good plays.  You can’t get that from most veterans, let alone a rookie.

Second pair Edmundson has been way more than noticeable for defensive errors.

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Petry was made to look like a pylon often for years...but not so much in last year or so. But, he got deaked out of jockstrap many times before seemingly getting it.

But, yes is to be expected for all young d-man from time to time. Hughes basically got deaked out by Armia (I think it was) so bad he fell down in the game before.

2 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

In 5 games he’s made one noticeable bad defensive play

Are you kidding?

He has left Kulak to defend numerous 2 on 1s, due to bad pinches and looking lost in own end at times.

Not saying i am complaining, just a fact he is a rookie d-man with tons to learn yet.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Concussion? :) I wasn't able to find much in terms of a concussion history for Armia, apart from one back in 2012 when he was still playing in Liiga. I don't think it's anywhere close to what, say, Shaw or Juulsen have been through.

A concussion in french is “commotion cérébrale”.

That’s what I understood at least from when he said “commotion”.

55 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Ah! sorry, yes. My Franglais wires got crossed there

Concussion, Commotion cérébrale... Potato, Patate... Let's call the whole thing off

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Just heard that Myers WILL NOT receive additional suspension!

I’m not surprised at all. The NHL does not give a sh*t about player safety and never has.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not surprised at all. The NHL does not give a sh*t about player safety and never has.

Neither am I, but I still find it disgusting. It was a CLEAR head shot!

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Ah! That's beyond my French skills!

Not surprised no suspension, thought would get a game or two, but didnt think was intention shot at head, Armia fumbling puck and head down didnt help...if those things matter?

Just hope is a quick and full recovery for Armia...poor basturd was having a career game, only to be overshadowed by the hit. 

Mr Myers may receive some remedial attention from our larger D-men in Saturday's game. There may have been no suspension, but a clean play it was not, and completely unnecessary when there is a three-goal lead with two minutes to go.

Myers is 6'7. While the Habs have some bruising dudes, I seriously doubt that any of them are going to be physically capable of exacting revenge even if they have a mind to.

Best thing to do is go out there and just whup the Canucks' asses.

I disagree that Myers had no intent. He thrust his shoulder upward into Armia's face at the last moment and that is why he made contact with the head. It was a pure, 100%, bona fide dirty hit, borne of frustration with the scoreboard and his own execrable suckage all night long.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Myers is 6'7. While the Habs have some bruising dudes, I seriously doubt that any of them are going to be physically capable of exacting revenge even if they have a mind to.

I disagree that Myers had no intent. He thrust his shoulder upward into Armia's face at the last moment and that is why he made contact with the head. It was a pure, 100%, bona fide dirty hit, borne of frustration with the scoreboard and his own execrable suckage all night long.

Very true. This is the one time I wish we had a goon that could take on Myers. Where is John Scott when you need him? 😎Also, “execrable suckage” is the best description of Myer’s play I have heard. It’s almost Shakespearian. I hope there is no stupidity that costs us the game but I really hope that Myers gets smashed, repeatedly...legally of course

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgCrHPKFalI

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We may not have anyone that's going to ragdoll Myers in a fight...but there are other ways to extract the pound of flesh.  You dump the puck in on his side every time he's on the ice, and you run him...with reckless abandon on the forecheck every single time.  Boarding/charging penalties be damned, you do it until he's hurting and the message is delivered loud and clear.

2 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Just heard that Myers WILL NOT receive additional suspension!

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

2 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Neither am I, but I still find it disgusting. It was a CLEAR head shot!

For exactly this reason I was surprised the players settled their concussion lawsuit ... they could easily have filled two days at a jury trial with video of unpunished head shots and other vile acts from the last ten years ... NHL does not want to eliminate this from the game ... they want to do just enough to look like they aren't ignoring it.

22 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

We may not have anyone that's going to ragdoll Myers in a fight...but there are other ways to extract the pound of flesh.  You dump the puck in on his side every time he's on the ice, and you run him...with reckless abandon on the forecheck every single time.  Boarding/charging penalties be damned, you do it until he's hurting and the message is delivered loud and clear.

The best revenge is to win the game and take 5 out of 6 points on this trip.  It will be panic time in Vancouver if they lose this game. I don't know what wrong with Elias Pettersson, he looks awful out there. That giveaway on the breakaway goal was just a horrible decision (good for the Habs though). 

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For exactly this reason I was surprised the players settled their concussion lawsuit ... they could easily have filled two days at a jury trial with video of unpunished head shots and other vile acts from the last ten years ... NHL does not want to eliminate this from the game ... they want to do just enough to look like they aren't ignoring it.

This.

if the league wanted these types of injuries eliminated, they would increase suspensions.  Use basketball for example, they didn’t want fights so the rule is a fight is a 41 game suspension.  When was the last time you saw an actual fight in basketball?  

The league doesn’t do this because it will nearly eliminate physical play.  Everyone will be scared to check because an injury means a long suspension.  They would much rather injuries and physical play than no injuries and no physical play.

I’ve also never agreed with the intent to injure rule.  It should be regarded like high sticking.  If the player was in control of their actions, like Myers last night, it should be suspendable.  If Myers was tripped and while falling he concussed Armia, he wasn’t in control of his actions therefore no suspension.  Would take all the grey area out of intent to injure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I know you meant it as a joke. Suzuki is rapidly becoming my favourite Canadien. 

he's also rapidly becoming one of the best C's in the league as evidenced by his performance against some of the best C's

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

... The league doesn’t do this because it will nearly eliminate physical play.  Everyone will be scared to check because an injury means a long suspension.  They would much rather injuries and physical play than no injuries and no physical play.

Disagree that it would eliminate physical play ... but it might eliminate the "freight train" hits that have no purpose but to "light up" the victim ... which is at very least how I would describe Myers hit... I think the more likely issues are that those hits add a very marketable "edge" to the NHL AND that if the league actually got tough they would have to suspend their very best players when they do something that endangers others.

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I’ve also never agreed with the intent to injure rule.  It should be regarded like high sticking.  If the player was in control of their actions, like Myers last night, it should be suspendable.  If Myers was tripped and while falling he concussed Armia, he wasn’t in control of his actions therefore no suspension.  Would take all the grey area out of intent to injure.

Well said ... the NHL pretending that they or their referees can determine intent is ridiculous ... while I suspect that actions intending to injure are rare, I feel that the NHL's minimalist enforcement of player safety results in players endangering other players with reckless disregard for the results of their actions.