Jan 23, Habs vs Canucks, 7 PM

tomh009

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

We have 29 goals in 6 games... almost 5 a game.  We aren't the 80s oilers, and the game isn't played the way it was in the 80s. 

To say this level of offense is unsustainable for a full season isn't rocket science.  Its just natural. 

But it makes rose-coloured glasses burst into flames ... as has been so often said/written ... teams are neither as good as they look at their best nor as bad as they look at their worst ... given this incredible start it is something that folks will have to remember when that "worst" arrives   ... but I am optimistic enough to say I doubt that "worst" will be as bad as in recent years.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

There were two posts where he wished Danault got hit with a Weber slapshot and missed time so Evans could have more opportunity. 

And I've always looked at assists as being just as valuable as goals.  The guy has the same Pts/60 at ES as a number of other first line centres,  guys who also play with the best wingers on their team, so playing with good wingers is not the reason he's putting up the same points as those guys. 

His ability to drive the play at both ends of the ice shows up in both the advanced stats, and also shows up when a guy like Nathan MacKinnon is asked the toughest player to play against in the NHL and he says Phil Danault.  His peers certainly respect his ability at both ends, more than fans do. 

My comments relate only to his offence ... and while top centres almost always play with their teams' best wingers the best centres are usually good or better offensively than their wingers.

Not saying he is offensively inept, just that he is the more the passenger on that line than the driver offensively ... he is great defensively, Selke worthy.

45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We have 29 goals in 6 games... almost 5 a game.  We aren't the 80s oilers, and the game isn't played the way it was in the 80s. 

To say this level of offense is unsustainable for a full season isn't rocket science.  Its just natural. 

What I think is unsustainable is the shooting percentage, at 12.6%. The league average last season was around 8.5% (and the Habs were around 7.5%). This is implies an average of under 3.5 goals/game assuming a constant shot rate. And the top goal-scoring rate last year was 2.95/60 by Tampa Bay...

But, in the end, this is a really small sample, six games and only against three teams. Let's see what things look like in mid-February, a quarter of the way through the season.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

My comments relate only to his offence ... and while top centres almost always play with their teams' best wingers the best centres are usually good or better offensively than their wingers.

Not saying he is offensively inept, just that he is the more the passenger on that line than the driver offensively ... he is great defensively, Selke worthy.

His advanced stats are far better than Evans and playing against much tougher opposition.

Great for Evans to be a reliable bottom 6 guy out of the 7th round but to think hes gonna play 18 minutes a night against top.lines and do what danault does is just silly... and to wish injury on danault to see it is stupidity 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

His advanced stats are far better than Evans and playing against much tougher opposition.

Great for Evans to be a reliable bottom 6 guy out of the 7th round but to think hes gonna play 18 minutes a night against top.lines and do what danault does is just silly... and to wish injury on danault to see it is stupidity 

NEVER argued for Evans being anything but the 4C

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

For now. I believe he has potential to be a 3C in the longer term, which would be great with Suzuki and Kotkaniemi taking care of the first two lines.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

54 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You didn't.  The guy who wants Danault to be injured did. 

Yet you responded to my post as if I had

6 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’ve seen one website show that Perry played on the left wing, and another that he played on the right wing. I don’t specifically remember seeing where Perry lined up during a faceoff, but remember plenty of action of his in the offensive zone on the right wing.

I have also come across an article stating that he was going to line up to the right of Kotkaniemi and Toffoli in Armia’s spot.

Even though I watched the match, is there any confirmation as to where he was playing? Because I would have assumed he was playing right wing. 

he played right wing all game 

2 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

he played right wing all game 

Okay that’s what I thought. Thanks. 

16 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Yet you responded to my post as if I had

I did

Show me where this was about you and not going back to the post i quoted (the wishing injury one)

"Great for Evans to be a reliable bottom 6 guy out of the 7th round but to think hes gonna play 18 minutes a night against top.lines and do what danault does is just silly... and to wish injury on danault to see it is stupidity "

Why else would i reference "wish injury" if i wasnt going back to that...

I quoted that post.  You responded to me... i responded to you and went back to what we were talking about to start.

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I did

Show me where this was about you and not going back to the post i quoted (the wishing injury one)

"Great for Evans to be a reliable bottom 6 guy out of the 7th round but to think hes gonna play 18 minutes a night against top.lines and do what danault does is just silly... and to wish injury on danault to see it is stupidity "

Why else would i reference "wish injury" if i wasnt going back to that...

I quoted that post.  You responded to me... i responded to you and went back to what we were talking about to start.

Anytime someone quits a post most people would interpret it as a response to that post unless expressly stated otherwise ... would simply appreciate the courtesy of people not having to refresh their memory of previous posts to understand that a reply to my post was actually replying too something else... it would be VERY easy for someone to assume the reference to wishing injury was me wishing it.

YOU AND I weren't discussing the wishing for injury ... there was a discussion about in a series of posts, that also addressed other things ... I took one element of that discussion, Danault's offence, and offered my opinions ...it was entirely  unrelated to the injury aspect ... IMO there was no reason to return to a discussion that I had not addressed in a response to my post.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Anytime someone quits a post most people would interpret it as a response to that post unless expressly stated otherwise ... would simply appreciate the courtesy of people not having to refresh their memory of previous posts to understand that a reply to my post was actually replying too something else... it would be VERY easy for someone to assume the reference to wishing injury was me wishing it.

YOU AND I weren't discussing the wishing for injury ... there was a discussion about in a series of posts, that also addressed other things ... I took one element of that discussion, Danault's offence, and offered my opinions ...it was entirely  unrelated to the injury aspect ... IMO there was no reason to return to a discussion that I had not addressed in a response to my post.

You started by quoting my post with the injury stuff in it. 

But whatever, this semantics discussion is tiresome and I really doubt anyone else at the board even cares.  Lets just move back to hockey. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

You started by quoting my post with the injury stuff in it. 

But whatever, this semantics discussion is tiresome and I really doubt anyone else at the board even cares.  Lets just move back to hockey. 

And clearly defined that I was only discussing Danault's offence ... but I agree there are FAR more important things to discuss ... like whether Carey's stats (.893 / 3.14) are related to the colour of his pads or, once the Habs outright lose a game, whether to fire Julien
;)

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Colour of his pads...

I laughed when a journalist asked him why he had changed his pads so early in the season.

Price repeated a couple of times “I have not changed my pads”

when the journalist asked the second or third time, CP asked “at practice?”

so, I guess pad colour is important