Kastsitsyn WHL?

montreal

There is talk that Kasty will play in the WHL this year, here's what is posted at russianprospects.com

A Czech journalist reported that Montreal Canadiens prospect Andrei Kostytsin will likely arrive at Medicine Hat for the 2003-04 season. He was drafted by the Tigers in the CHL Import Draft and has thus far been unable to crack CSKA Moscow lineup.

Russianprospects.com has a hard time getting the "left handed or right handed" part right, so I definitely don't trust them as a source for anything.

I always look for confirmation elsewhere... from what I've seen so far, there is none for this story.

The Tigers already have their 2 allowed imports (although I guess that could always change), and they haven't reported anything concerning Kastitsyn.

I'll believe when I see it, still interesting "news" though... thanks for the heads up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's say this IS true... my guess is Viktor Tikhonov is not a fan of Kastitsyn, our boy feels he's unfairly being blackballed so he wants out ASAP.

It's past the deadline for him to sign with the Habs & play in Montreal or Hamilton, so all that's left is the WHL or stay in a lesser league in Russia.

If he feels Tikhonov will never call him him up, & he figures if he's gonna waste a year in a league below his level he might as well choose the one where he can at least get used to North America and the English language.

As for what it would mean about Kastitsyn that he couldn't make Tikhonov's team I think "BadCompany" said it best:

"Anyways, Victor Tikhonov is a notoriously difficult coach to play for, much like Scotty Bowman in his prime. From what I understand, he likes the veterans, he doesn't tolerate mistakes, and he likes to win. Now. Plus, Kat's not even a native Russian. None of these are elements that are condusive to winning Kostitsyn an immediate spot on the big team."

The bad part of it is if he could have known he wasn't making the team sooner he could have signed with the Habs and be playing in Hamilton under Jarvis next year, and with Perezhogin.

Sometimes it's as simple as a case of bad luck, or a bad agent who didn't advise him very well.