Jan 30 - Habs-Flames - 7pm

GHT120

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Post-game Julien said that Anderson had flu-like symptoms and was sent home as a precautionary measure ... he tested negative today and will get another tomorrow

Potential for Covid has implications for him being off for several games but at least it isn't a physical injury

Potentially bad news ... (Patrick Williams) Earlier this morning, the Laval Rocket opted to cancel today's scheduled practice; per the team, it is a "preventive measure."

https://twitter.com/pwilliamsNHL/status/1355917532255965185

Hopefully that is all it is ... after all they do share practice facilities and will share an arena once AHL play begins.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Calgary played a heavy game and we did not respond. KK gets smoked and we dance and grab. 

We should have pushed back hard but we caved like usual. Where is our passion?

We are a bigger team that is still soft. 

Im not mad at the loss. Markstrom was great and we had chances. We did come out flat and IMO only played well in the third. 

Im mad because we got pushed around and did nothing but take it. Why not head hunt Suzuki? What consequences would there be?

We play them how many times this season?  There is no need to get revenge immediately after the hit in a 1 goal game that you still have a chance to win.  There will be plenty of opportunities to go after Dube if you really want to.  Just like Edmundson did with Tyler Myers.  It wasn't the same game that they fought.

3 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Explain Wilson in Washington to me?

You can be a talented useful player and still be a feared fighter. The 2 are not exclusive to themselves. 

How many shots to the head does Washington take?

The same as every other team.

There are studies on this.... having a fighter on your team does NOT prevent injuries.  In fact teams who have lots of fighting majors often have slightly more injuries than teams that do not. 

It also doesn't lead to winning more games.  But if you want revenge, then sure I guess its good for that.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have no particular desire to rain fire on a ref for missing a call, but the NHL has absolutely no excuse for failing to assign suspensions for blows to the head. According to Cassie Campbell last night, the on-ice call has no relationship to any supplemental discipline. 

The game has evolved beyond goons. Advanced stats expose goons as complete liabilities in every facet of the game except the ability to punch people in the face. So, teams aren’t going to carry some lumbering behemoth just in case a head-shot goes down. Meanwhile, if a player on the ice metes out revenge, dollars to donuts they will get penalized - it’s always the retaliation that gets penalized, for some reason - and hurt their team. 

I can see only two answers. One is that, next time we play Calgary, a Hab goes out and head-hunts a random Flame. (After all, blows to the head are perfectly legal - right?) That way lies carnage, trails of young men suffering brain damage.

The other is supplemental discipline. 

It’s not rocket science, NHL.

The issue is having an ex- goon like Parros, or other players with long suspension histories in their playing career usually in charge of supplemental discipline.  Should have a guy like Bossy, or Kerr who had their careers ruined by repeated wishes cross checks.

Seems to be a few too many. Maybe it is time that we started to look for that ability in our acquisitions? Forgotten talent that seems to be missing as teams are taking liberties that an enforcer did stop. 

I would rather see the game just be called right without the need for this behavior. But unfortunately it isn't

Maybe we did try to look for that ability in our acquisitions, or did you forget that we have picked up Ben Chiarot, Corey Perry, Joel Edmundson, and Josh Anderson over the last two off-seasons?

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

They exist in abundance. They dont get drafted in todays NHL. Instead teams take crap shots late rounds at small forwards etc. If the league does not correct their issue, I predict this will change. 

Players who can score 20 goals, play on a top line and keep up, and fight... do not exist in abundance. 

And they aren't out there being undrafted. 

This is crazy talk.

• Like 1

Explain Wilson in Washington to me?

You can be a talented useful player and still be a feared fighter. The 2 are not exclusive to themselves. 

How many shots to the head does Washington take?

We now have a Perry, Anderson, Chariot, Edmondson? What else do you want???  The days of having a Todd Ewan (who was useless except for allowing us to fleece the leafs for the small, but speedy Courtnall), or Chris Nilan (who could actually play), who would be lost and too slow in todays NHL.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We now have a Perry, Anderson, Chariot, Edmondson? What else do you want???  The days of having a Todd Ewan (who was useless except for allowing us to fleece the leafs for the small, but speedy Courtnall), or Chris Nilan (who could actually play), who would be lost and too slow in todays NHL.

John Kordic was traded to the Leafs for Courtnall.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We play them how many times this season?  There is no need to get revenge immediately after the hit in a 1 goal game that you still have a chance to win.  There will be plenty of opportunities to go after Dube if you really want to.  Just like Edmundson did with Tyler Myers.  It wasn't the same game that they fought.

Im not talking about some hockey code revenge. 

Weber should have let fists fly instantly. 

Gallagher took a severe beating, drew 2 penalties because of it. Our response was okay great go crush our best forward over and over because then we get power play. 

They need to respond and let everybody know that such behaviour will not be tolerated or it will keep happening. 

Especially now that the league has apparently changed the definition of intent to injure and headshot. 

Some GOOD NEWS:

Anderson's Covid test negative

Josh Anderson déclaré négatif à la COVID-19 | JDM (journaldemontreal.com)

45 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

The issue is having an ex- goon like Parros, or other players with long suspension histories in their playing career usually in charge of supplemental discipline.  Should have a guy like Bossy, or Kerr who had their careers ruined by repeated wishes cross checks.

Could not agree more. The minute they gave Parros the job, it was pretty clear which way the wind was gonna blow.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Some GOOD NEWS:

Anderson's Covid test negative

Josh Anderson déclaré négatif à la COVID-19 | JDM (journaldemontreal.com)

It's definitely good news although it now makes their next step more complicated.  I'm actually in the middle of mentioning the breakdown of the rule for the Roster Emergency Exception for tonight's Habs Weekly post but here are the options for tomorrow if Anderson can't play.

1) Mete dresses as a 7th D/12th forward.

2) Mete doesn't dress and the Habs play 6/11.

3) Anderson is placed on the CPRA list (a little trickier to do that with the negative test going public) which means Frolik could be recalled but not Poehling.

Here's hoping Anderson can play but if he can't, it's slim pickings for viable options.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It's definitely good news although it now makes their next step more complicated.  I'm actually in the middle of mentioning the breakdown of the rule for the Roster Emergency Exception for tonight's Habs Weekly post but here are the options for tomorrow if Anderson can't play.

1) Mete dresses as a 7th D/12th forward.

2) Mete doesn't dress and the Habs play 6/11.

3) Anderson is placed on the CPRA list (a little trickier to do that with the negative test going public) which means Frolik could be recalled but not Poehling.

Here's hoping Anderson can play but if he can't, it's slim pickings for viable options.

Mete want to play ... 4LW would at least be TOI

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No supplemental discipline for Dube:

They do seem to err on the side of the assailant and not the victim

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

No supplemental discipline for Dube:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the rules clearly state any sort of contact to the head was illegal? Was this changed? 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Im not talking about some hockey code revenge. 

Weber should have let fists fly instantly. 

Gallagher took a severe beating, drew 2 penalties because of it. Our response was okay great go crush our best forward over and over because then we get power play. 

They need to respond and let everybody know that such behaviour will not be tolerated or it will keep happening. 

Especially now that the league has apparently changed the definition of intent to injure and headshot. 

I don't see how this helps you win hockey games.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't see how this helps you win hockey games.

I agree ... but it helps some fans feel better

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

John Kordic was traded to the Leafs for Courtnall.

Getting old. That’s actually whose face I had in my mind. Wrong name. Same useless type of player.

40 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It prevents further attempts to injure thereby preventing missed games due to injury like Armia 

I don't believe it does ... IMO just escalates things into tit-for-tat attacks on each others players ... but I suspect we will never agree on that so lets agree to disagree