Victor Mete requests a trade

dlbalr

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Stupid pr*ck. So much for being a team player.

Seriously. I mean the Habs aren’t going to go all season without an injury to a dman. He was going to get his shot. Plus, with a busy week ahead and now a loss, I would have expected some lineup changes. 

poor timing victor. Poor timing. 

22 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

Seriously. I mean the Habs aren’t going to go all season without an injury to a dman. He was going to get his shot. Plus, with a busy week ahead and now a loss, I would have expected some lineup changes. 

poor timing victor. Poor timing. 

Well, exactly. He should take a page from Perry’s book. Here’s a guy (unlike Mete) who has actually accomplished something in the league; he signs here after a quality playoff, is thrown onto the the taxi squad, works hard and doesn’t complain, steps in, makes an impact, and - with Anderson out - gets a bump in ice time. A similar trajectory awaited Mete.

I have never been too impressed with him as a player, and now I’m even less impressed with him. 

It's going to be easier said than done to find a trade that makes sense for the Habs considering their cap situation, quarantine rules, and getting proper value.  Bergevin is denying receiving the trade request (that's semantics at this point with Ferris making it public) and also is saying he won't trade him.  We'll see how long that holds up.

I can see Mete's point about being leapfrogged on the depth chart, and if all goes well we don't really have a role for him.  On the other hand, there's no reason to honour this request for the Habs, as he's more valuable to us this year as defensive depth than anything we'd get in return for him, and he doesn't have much leverage as a marginal player.  There's also the expansion draft, where it seems likely that we'll lose one of Kulak, Chiarot, or Edmundson.  I'd rather wait till then to deal him or try to work him back into the fold.  I could still see him becoming a decent NHLer down the road, and I'd rather not dump him for nothing just because his agent is too big for his britches. 

I doubt we get much for Mete. If the demand is low, send him home. Tell him you have no intention of trading him but will be happy to expose him in the expansion draft. Let him rot. 

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I doubt we get much for Mete. If the demand is low, send him home. Tell him you have no intention of trading him but will be happy to expose him in the expansion draft. Let him rot. 

As harsh as this is, it's not the worst idea. 

I don't understand this by Mete.  The kid was given ALL the chances in the world.  He came up and played big minutes on the top pair with Weber to mold him into a need.  He didn't progress as well as needed.  He was bumped up and down the pairings to help the kid and team along and he just didn't step up.  So instead of the team waiting on him, they go out and improve, and bring in another kid that is better than Mete, so Mete loses his spot.  He effectively played himself into the 7th D role and now is requesting a trade?  Injuries will happen and he will play, but right now this just sounds like entitlement.  For this, I mirror CC's stance on this.

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, exactly. He should take a page from Perry’s book.

Apples Oranges, washed up vet vs kid who recently was top pairing as a rookie still starting his career.

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Apples Oranges, washed up vet vs kid who recently was top pairing as a rookie still starting his career.

It’s not apples/oranges at all. Perry is modelling how you act as a pro. That applies to Mete too.

For that matter, he could have learned from Kulak. Benched most of last season, Kulak stepped up in the playoffs and is now back in the rotation where he belongs.

Mete’s actions tell me all I need to know about his character.

Your sentence here aligns nicely with Turdburglar’s observations above. Mete’s entire career has basically been artificially subsidized - inflated by the Habs’ disastrous lack of depth at LD. There is no way on earth Mete is, or ever was, a top-pairing D-man. He is not, indeed, a top-4 d-man on a good team - a fact which this year’s team bears out. The only reason he ever got those minutes was because the Habs literally had no one else. It’s the same old story: being a bad team leads to poor player development and instilling a culture of unearned ice time.

Unfortunately, the lesson Mete seems to have drawn is that he is somehow entitled to a roster spot even though he has shown no ability to score, hit, or make plays. Exactly the wrong lesson.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Unfortunately, the lesson Mete seems to have drawn is that he is somehow entitled to a roster spot even though he has shown no ability to score, hit, or make plays. Exactly the wrong lesson.

Yes, i think he thinks he should be a NHL regular, rightly seems logjam on Habs and agent or/and he thinks he would have better chance on another team. I was wondering what they would do with all the 3rd pairing d-men, already they seemed to of midjudged Juulsen's value and should of done something different in off-season perhaps?

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, i think he thinks he should be a NHL regular, rightly seems logjam on Habs and agent or/and he thinks he would have better chance on another team. I was wondering what they would do with all the 3rd pairing d-men, already they seemed to of midjudged Juulsen's value and should of done something different in off-season perhaps?

Why should they have done something different? Mete is right below Edmunson on the depth chart. Or was. Should we have not signed Edmundson - i.e., tried to improve the D - just so Mete wouldn’t have to earn a spot? Or should we have shipped out other assets just so Mete wouldn’t have to look over his shoulder?

A team will never have depth if players who get outplayed for a roster spot demand trades nine games into the season.

ANYWAY ... if they can get a fair "price" I would trade him ... this seems to be a very tight team ... I would be OK with a "happy" Cale Fleury or Ouellet as a rotating 7D rather than an unhappy Mete

As an aside ... another Ferris client, Sam Bennet, has apparently asked for a trade ... is it them or him getting them worked up?

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s not apples/oranges at all. Perry is modelling how you act as a pro. That applies to Mete too.

For that matter, he could have learned from Kulak. Benched most of last season, Kulak stepped up in the playoffs and is now back in the rotation where he belongs.

Mete’s actions tell me all I need to know about his character.

Your sentence here aligns nicely with Turdburglar’s observations above. Mete’s entire career has basically been artificially subsidized - inflated by the Habs’ disastrous lack of depth at LD. There is no way on earth Mete is, or ever was, a top-pairing D-man. He is not, indeed, a top-4 d-man on a good team - a fact which this year’s team bears out. The only reason he ever got those minutes was because the Habs literally had no one else. It’s the same old story: being a bad team leads to poor player development and instilling a culture of unearned ice time.

Kulak played 56 out of the team's 71 games, he wasn't benched most of last season. 

Mete is a young kid on a cheap contract who knows that he needs to get ice time if he wants to get paid in the future.  Thats what his agent is saying and thats what he is thinking.  

I don't understand why we are blaming a kid for wanting to play.  For saying, hey the roster here is too deep and I can't crack it, but there are other teams I could play for, how about a trade. 

Takes some self-confidence and belief to make the nhl and some might see that as selfishness.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Neech said:

I can see Mete's point about being leapfrogged on the depth chart, and if all goes well we don't really have a role for him.  On the other hand, there's no reason to honour this request for the Habs, as he's more valuable to us this year as defensive depth than anything we'd get in return for him, and he doesn't have much leverage as a marginal player.  There's also the expansion draft, where it seems likely that we'll lose one of Kulak, Chiarot, or Edmundson.  I'd rather wait till then to deal him or try to work him back into the fold.  I could still see him becoming a decent NHLer down the road, and I'd rather not dump him for nothing just because his agent is too big for his britches. 

I’d hang on to him and the others and have them all available in he expansion draft.  Hopefully seattle takes mete because of his age over a forward, where we will also have a lot of depth.

46 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

As an aside ... another Ferris client, Sam Bennet, has apparently asked for a trade ... is it them or him getting them worked up?

Bennett has been in a similar situation for a few years now so I can see him wanting a change of scenery.  In Ferris, he has one of the more vocal representatives out there and leaking the info to put public pressure on teams to cave in is one he has used in the past.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't see this request as him feeling entitled to a roster spot with Montreal.  I think he sees the writing on the wall.  The pressure for him to take the qualifying offer was telling (at least to me) as it signaled that he wasn't in the long-term plans.  If they viewed him as a longer-term asset, they'd have tried to work a second year in there at least.  And with Romanov up already plus Guhle, Norlinder, Harris, and Struble all in the system (not all will pan out but one or two should out of that group) and Edmundson signed for three more years, there isn't a spot for him down the road let alone now.  He's arbitration-eligible but in a position where the Habs probably won't want to file for it as his experience can then be used to drive the price tag higher than they'd be comfortable paying a 6/7 guy.  That means he probably isn't getting qualified as things stand.

From Mete's standpoint, if he sits almost all season and becomes a UFA, his market isn't going to be strong.  If he can get into another organization where there's perhaps a path to more playing time and a better future, it'd be a lot better for him in the long run than biding his time hoping for someone to be injured to get in the lineup.  I thought he may have waited a little longer to make the request but this has been an outcome I've been expecting going back to his bubble usage and how they handled his contract.

I don't see this as pouting due to a belief that he's entitled to a roster spot.  Instead, this feels like an attempt at career preservation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m not sensitive to this at all unless it would diminish Mete’s value. If this “request” does, well then there’s no pressure from the organization’s standpoint to deal him anyway. It’s really no big deal to me.

If we were even 15 games in and he hadn’t played, or if Fleury got in before him, then I’d understand. 

but he jumped the gun. He needed to wait a little longer. MB is going for a deep playoff run and won’t blink. 

I understand where Mete is coming from, he will only see ice in the short term if there is an injury and in the long term there likely won't be a spot for him either. However, screw him and anybody who doesn't want to be a part of the Habs. If I am Bergevin, I don't trade him and continue on with the plan to use him when needed. I can't see any trade happening that would benefit us more than having him as a fill in. Also have to consider we lost Juulsen on waivers and the expansion draft in the off season. Invest in a comfy chair Victor and be careful what you wish for because you were a late round draft pick who is small and can't produce and you're now on a taxi squad. 

• Upvote 1