Victor Mete requests a trade

dlbalr

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Looks like mete plays tonight instead of Kulak. 

Showcase or trying to make him feel better?

My first thought was it being a way to get him more involved with the team rather than a showcase. 

2 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

This guy can’t be worth much with a return...

I think he is undervalued and will be a good cheap piece to add and he did show he can produce some offense in August, when given some PP time. I just bet he will have a long NHL career and be a much better player, than say a Yannck Weber who has played almost 500 games in NHL.

Interesting that Mete is apparently playing the right-side ... is it because:

• that is his better side (he has played both for Habs)?
  • to see how Romanov does on the left-side?  OR
  • because the team with the best trade offer needs help on the right-side?

1 minute ago, DON said:

I think he is undervalued and will be a good cheap piece to add and he did show he can produce some offense in August, when given some PP time. I just bet he will have a long NHL career and be a much better player, than say a Yannck Weber who has played almost 500 games in NHL.

And that’s fair, so what’s the market for him? A Old 7th D or 4th round pick... for that like I said,  I would rather keep him. Kulak has one more year and I wouldn’t mind seeing the same 6 (7 including Mete) next year, as I’m very pleased with the D so far this year. 

4 minutes ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

And that’s fair, so what’s the market for him? A Old 7th D or 4th round pick... for that like I said,  I would rather keep him. Kulak has one more year and I wouldn’t mind seeing the same 6 (7 including Mete) next year, as I’m very pleased with the D so far this year. 

Mete is an RFA next season and I expect that he won't re-sign to be the 7D ... even if Mete can manage to not be a problem within the team this year I don't expect he would be at all happy to repeat it next year ... IMO if he isn't moved this season he will be before next season.

If he’s slotting in tonight, this is his chance to keep himself in the lineup.  I can’t stress that enough, he needs to play well enough that it’s a downgrade to have him sit.  His playing future this year starts with tonight’s game.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

If he’s slotting in tonight, this is his chance to keep himself in the lineup.  I can’t stress that enough, he needs to play well enough that it’s a downgrade to have him sit.  His playing future this year starts with tonight’s game.

I agree that things are up to Mete now. He has his shot and not making mistakes is not good enough. 

If Mete wants to be a regular player then he needs to be good at something. With his speed, he should work on offensive production. He does not have tools to be a good stay at home Dman.  

He has great speed and a good pass so he should get more involved in offensive play. 

21 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Agreed. Don’t think he did that last night. 

21 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I agree that things are up to Mete now. He has his shot and not making mistakes is not good enough. 

If Mete wants to be a regular player then he needs to be good at something. With his speed, he should work on offensive production. He does not have tools to be a good stay at home Dman.  

He has great speed and a good pass so he should get more involved in offensive play. 

Think he listened to you and appeared to be trying to jump the play, carry puck out of d zone, but didn’t have a ton a success.

and then was noticeable on a couple D zone breakdowns and well... hard to argue he deserves a spot over any of the other 6.

4 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Think he listened to you and appeared to be trying to jump the play, carry puck out of d zone, but didn’t have a ton a success.

and then was noticeable on a couple D zone breakdowns and well... hard to argue he deserves a spot over any of the other 6.

Exactly

Who does he think he is?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Exactly

Who does he think he is?

The post game press conference when asked if his agent asked for a trade, he responded with “I’d rather not talk about the situation,” and then snickered while looking visibly annoyed.

He should have a word with Drouin about how well this power play works out.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Exactly

Who does he think he is?

Haha he is a victim of bad past rosters. He played way more games than he should have by this point in his career. 
But I dislike any player coming out in public asking for trade or whining in general.

If as he says, it was his agent acting solely, fire his ass and make a statement as such.

so, I don’t think that was the truth and I believe Mete just doesn’t have the balls to own up to it now. 

if he had value he’d be playing or gone. Write this off to a bad investment, gonna be hard to bury the hatchet on this one. The rest of team is clicking, playing some of best hockey In years, and now guys are sitting b/c he has to get reps? This could be breeding ground for locker room issues. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd also like to know what Kulak did to warrant being scratched. Maybe he was floundering and I just didn't spot it, but for my part, he seemed to be doing fine.

Unless it's actually Romanov sitting out a game.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'd also like to know what Kulak did to warrant being scratched. Maybe he was floundering and I just didn't spot it, but for my part, he seemed to be doing fine.

Habs IMO were and are trying to make Mete feel better. 

We do need him as a #7

Ill ask again, what does Mete do well? Speed with nothing to do with it is useless. 

Romanov is still learning and making lots of mistakes so I’m good with mete getting some of his minutes but Kulak is playing really well

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Habs IMO were and are trying to make Mete feel better. 

We do need him as a #7

Ill ask again, what does Mete do well? Speed with nothing to do with it is useless. 

Romanov is still learning and making lots of mistakes so I’m good with mete getting some of his minutes but Kulak is playing really well

While one could argue Romanov is only playing slightly better than Mete, I wouldn’t argue that but someone may, Romanov’s ceiling is much higher.  I would much rather go through growing pains with a better defenceman on a team like this than give into Mete.  

If Julien is real generous, he could give Mete tonight’s game to prove he is better than Kulak.  If he can’t prove that, then he sits out until an injury occurs.  

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

With 56 games on a compressed schedule, and with depth on defense, I don't mind if we start rotating through and sitting defenders from time to time. 

First it was Kulak.

Tonight it's Romanov.

Can we sit Edmundson on Thursday against the Sens?

You know I'm a huge Kulak fan, but I haven't said anything (until now) about him being scratched last night.  I'm willing to give this coaching staff the benefit of the doubt that they are thinking about getting these guys some rest in a week where we play Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday...