Pearson - Horvat - Hoglander
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen
Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Hughes - Myers

Benn - Schmidt
Juolevi - Rafferty

Demko

• Upvote 1

A very strong impressive performance last night from the boys. Such a joy and proudness watching the Habs this year and if we stay healthy all year, we are the team to beat in the North.., 

not a good performance from Mete but first game back since 10 months or so,   expecting a better performance from him tonight. Watching him in the post game press, his body language and answers steer me towards he’s on his way out. 

26 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Mete again?

Kulak is miles above Mete. 

What aspect of Mete’s game is great? What area of the ice is Mete great in?

While I agree, I don’t think it would be fair to not give Mete some more game time. Can’t let your players wither on the vine, if only to showcase him for trade or keep him sharp for when injuries occur.

He was flying, but was trying to force the play too much. 
Agreed, Kulak is better suited to third pairing role and as support for Romanov than Mete is.

And also think Kulak has more value overall, not a fan of Mete but do see his value in a sheltered role, partnered with a strong, steady partner.  No room for that on this years habs tho.

21 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Mete again?

Kulak is miles above Mete

Not a Mete fan but IMO it is fair enough to give him another game ... but unless he is Bobby Orr tonight, or someone else needs (or is due to be given) a night off, I expect Kulak is back in Thursday night ... other possibility is that MB has a GOOD offer on the table from some GM and they want to see VM one more time.

1 minute ago, hockeyrealist said:

... Mete ... was flying, but was trying to force the play too much ...

He always can fly ... just he rarely accomplishes much offensively with that speed ... expect at some point this season he will be traded, but only once MB is fully satisfied with the return

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

He always can fly ... just he rarely accomplishes much offensively with that speed ... expect at some point this season he will be traded, but only once MB is fully satisfied with the return

Think you are right all around.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Just noticed him jumping up more last night, seemed to be pushing to be noticed more than usual.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Noticed his patented wrister didn’t even make Byron flinch when it hit him haha.

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not a Mete fan but IMO it is fair enough to give him another game ... but unless he is Bobby Orr tonight, or someone else needs (or is due to be given) a night off, I expect Kulak is back in Thursday night ... other possibility is that MB has a GOOD offer on the table from some GM and they want to see VM one more time.

Agreed 100 

I think it’s time to admit that the former first pairing LD has no trade value and is not good enough to crack our line up

He should work his ass of like Romanov and when an injury happens then step in a do well. 

Demanding play time or a trade is laughable from a player not good enough to make the roster. 

54 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Demanding play time or a trade is laughable from a player not good enough to make the roster. 

It really looks like it was Mete's agent, not Mete himself, that was making those demands.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Kulak is miles above Mete. 

Yes, i wouldnt of scratched Kulak, would be been Romanov.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Skating is elite.

But, Kulak isnt "great" at anything, but i still think he should be with Petry.

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Early indications are that Romanov is sitting tonight with Kulak and Mete comprising the third pairing.

Proper thing, he could use a break and watch a game or two from pressbox.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

It really looks like it was Mete's agent, not Mete himself, that was making those demands.

The best solution to all of this is for Mete to work his ass off and crush every opportunity that comes his way. 

Mete can compete with Romanov on somewhat equal footing 

Don I disagree about Kulak 

He has great positioning 

he has great breakout passing

he has great positional communication with his partner 

he pinches appropriately 

he carries the puck really well 

he recognizes when his partner is out of position and covers the hole

He does a whole lot really well 

Mete has tons of speed and a good first pass. That should translate to many assists but it does not because he doesn’t use it well and is in a constant state of catch-up 

• Upvote 1

As a long time Habs fans, I think of the Mete issue as a first world problem. And that’s f’ing great because we’ve been a 3rd world plague ever since the Roy trade.

I do worry that the guys might not be jacked enough for playoff hockey when it finally rolls around. We’re good enough that we may end up coasting in and there is something to be said for grinding out wins in the last month of the regular season to make a playoff spot.

38 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He has great positioning 

he has great breakout passing

he has great positional communication with his partner 

he pinches appropriately 

he carries the puck really well 

he recognizes when his partner is out of position and covers the hole

He does a whole lot really well 

Mete has tons of speed and a good first pass. That should translate to many assists but it does not because he doesn’t use it well and is in a constant state of catch-up 

I agree with this description of Kulak.

and that of Mete.

Can’t say I recall many times cursing Kulak in past 40 games or so, I curse Mete every time he plays.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Again, i do like Kulak and think he is solid d-man. And sure, he does some basic things well, but doesnt stand out as much as Mete's skating does.

I still say, Mete will do fine once he finds a spot on some other roster and Kulak would as well.

I like them both and think both seem underrated.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think it’s time to admit that the former first pairing LD ...

As has been said elsewhere ... I think the bolded text is part of the problem with Mete ... that he played with Weber was a function of the Habs having no better options and that season the team was so bad that as one of the few pleasant surprises (Niemi likley the other) Mete's performance got blown out of perspective and unrealistic expectations developed ... he is filling the role for a 7D ... absent injury they are a fill-in to give others a game or two off ... it is now up to him to maintain the coaching staff's confidence in order to be used as intended.

I really think all the narratives on Mete are overblown.  This isn't about his expectations, or what he's played before. 

This is a simple equation.

He is an RFA to be in a flat-cap, pandemic environment.  He needs a new contract after this season.  His agent (And Mete) both know that in order to earn a reasonable deal, he needs to play, or he could quickly find himself outside the NHL.

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I really think all the narratives on Mete are overblown.  This isn't about his expectations, or what he's played before. 

This is a simple equation.

He is an RFA to be in a flat-cap, pandemic environment.  He needs a new contract after this season.  His agent (And Mete) both know that in order to earn a reasonable deal, he needs to play, or he could quickly find himself outside the NHL.

That’s probably the real truth, but he is a RFA, he has almost no leverage in this situation.  Worse case for him is he doesn’t get played, Canadiens offer him a deal, he rejects it, they qualify him and it’s up to arbitration.  Demanding a trade does nothing good for his career, just makes teams leery on him because doing very little when given the opportunity then complaining when it’s taken away doesn’t usually sit well in the locker room. 

Just now, TurdBurglar said:

That’s probably the real truth, but he is a RFA, he has almost no leverage in this situation.  Worse case for him is he doesn’t get played, Canadiens offer him a deal, he rejects it, they qualify him and it’s up to arbitration.  Demanding a trade does nothing good for his career, just makes teams leery on him because doing very little when given the opportunity then complaining when it’s taken away doesn’t usually sit well in the locker room. 

He has no leverage cause he's not playing.  He's not even eligible for arbitration.  He needs to play in order to have leverage.  I don't see him getting labelled a complainer either.  There has been 0 indication that he is anything other than professional in the room.