Feb 02, Habs VS Canucks - 7;00pm

habs#4,9,10,33

I see another narrative being created in the most recent post about Mete.

It’s one thing to be an RFA, and it’s another thing to be on a contending team who has the possibility of winning a Stanley Cup.

Mete is not going to get paid well this off season even if he does play, because he simply is what he is anyway, a 3rd pairing d-man, who has potential to fill in for the top 4.

I’m not heavily against Mete in any way, but if I’m in Mete’s position at the age of 22, there are certainly two contrasting thoughts that are entering my mind:

1) “I broke into the league as a first pairing defenseman, and now I am on the taxi squad. I deserve to be higher on the depth chart.”

Of course you can be “professional” in the way you handle it, but the thought will cross your mind. 

2) “Although I am not in the starting lineup, look how good our team is. If I stay the course, I have the chance to be part of a cup winning team here in Montreal.”

It seems as though if Mete himself actually wants out, that this second thought is not a predominant one in his mind. 

I personally feel as though it’s hard to believe that with injuries, coronavirus, and level of play, Mete would not have had his chance to enter the lineup at a normal rate even had he (or his agent) kept his mouth shut. 

In this capacity, RFA or not, he has a little bit more of a “me” mindset versus a “team first” one. I have nothing against him, but that’s the way it is. 

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

Petry is being very un-Petry like so far, couple mistakes.

I was just coming here to say that. 

a few plays I’ve been like - who’s doing that ... Petry? Say it ain’t so!!!

fortunately it hasn’t cost anything yet. Surely he has given me all the panics he will for tonight - just getting them out of the way in the first. 

sluggish start to the game but momentum has been turning the right way every 5 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

sluggish start to the game but momentum has been turning the right way every 5 minutes. 

Yeah, the team did not look very good before the penalties, the Canucks really had the upper hand. Very happy to be coming out of this period with a 2-0 lead.

4 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Anderson scores by being stronk. Nice to see those kinda goals from a Habs uniform.

I find Anderson interesting because all of his goals so far it looks like his linemates dont really matter.  It seems like he is fully capable of creating goals on his own - no matter who he plays with. 

Has Anderson even attempted a 1 timer yet?  I don't believe that he has.   Most of his goals he gets the puck in the slot and scores with a wrister, or he has the puck and drives to net, or is around the net and uses his hand eye co-ordination, or does tip ins.  He is certainly an effective scorer and in many ways. 

I love that any line can be hot and Suzuki line is hot tonight. 

Allen has been completely solid in everything since becoming a Hab

KK is making a lot of defensive mistakes 

Mete looks better next to Kulak and with a game under his belt

Why isn’t Danault scoring 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe the hockey gods are punishing him for his arrogance in turning down the overly generous offer they blessed him with (through Bergevin)?

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I find Anderson interesting because all of his goals so far it looks like his linemates dont really matter.  It seems like he is fully capable of creating goals on his own - no matter who he plays with. 

Has Anderson even attempted a 1 timer yet?  I don't believe that he has.   Most of his goals he gets the puck in the slot and scores with a wrister, or he has the puck and drives to net, or is around the net and uses his hand eye co-ordination, or does tip ins.  He is certainly an effective scorer and in many ways. 

I really dig that he drives to the net with power every chance he gets. 

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He hardly played that period.  Just five shifts for 3:00 and there's a gap of nearly eight minutes where he didn't see the ice.  The PP time was in that stretch but I'm wondering if there was an equipment issue at some point in there as well.

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

In this capacity, RFA or not, he has a little bit more of a “me” mindset versus a “team first” one. I have nothing against him, but that’s the way it is. 

I think that comment is more applicable to Danault.

20 minutes ago, sbhatt said:
22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe the hockey gods are punishing him for his arrogance in turning down the overly generous offer they blessed him with (through Bergevin)?

I fully agree.  I dont think that any other NHL team would offer him that amount of money or that length of contract. 

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Something tells me that offer may have gone down. 

I hope so.  Personally, I seriously doubt that I would offer him 5 mil/yr and I wouldnt offer him 4+ yrs either.  I am considering 3-4 yrs from now.  i.e. Suzuki, KK, Romanov, and Caufield will need post ELC's by then.  The Habs could lose 1 of them if they sign Danault for 4+ yrs.  Thats really my concern with resigning Danault.