Anyone nervous about the next two games?

Habsfan

Am I the only one who's a little worried about the next two games against the Sens? We did lose all 4 games against the Red Wings last year and everyone is praising the Habs...I just hope the boys won't take the Hens to lightly!

9 hours ago, PMAC said:

This is a different team. They are going to curb stomp the Sens. 

I incline toward this theory. 

See, a lot of Habs fans don’t remember what it is like to have a team like this one. You have to go back to the period from about 1988-94. A team that is structurally strong may indeed suffer dips in intensity against basement-dwellers. And sometimes there is some team down in the league’s bowels that give you a hard time (the Whalers always used to frustrate the Habs even when the former were much inferior). Still, if this edition of the Habs falls into the trap of taking the Sens lightly, the result is more likely to be close games than a string of defeats.

11 hours ago, Habsfan said:

Am I the only one who's a little worried about the next two games against the Sens? We did lose all 4 games against the Red Wings last year and everyone is praising the Habs...I just hope the boys won't take the Hens to lightly!

I believe that they will not take this too lightly, and they will thoroughly cluck the Hens.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I incline toward this theory. 

See, a lot of Habs fans don’t remember what it is like to have a team like this one. You have to go back to the period from about 1988-94. A team that is structurally strong may indeed suffer dips in intensity against basement-dwellers. And sometimes there is some team down in the league’s bowels that give you a hard time (the Whalers always used to frustrate the Habs even when the former were much inferior). Still, if this edition of the Habs falls into the trap of taking the Sens lightly, the result is more likely to be close games than a string of defeats.

It’s been so long that I barely remember what it is like to have a team like this 😎

I’m of the opinion that this team isn’t comparable to those past teams that underperformed against weak opposition as well. 

I’ve recently noticed posts on here that have a subtle hint of predicting gloom over the horizon and I chalk it up to nothing more than something akin to PTSD; We’re all used to it happening.

Of course we will lose some games. We will likely actually even have losing streaks! It is also entirely possible that we lose a game or two against the Sens this year. 

With that being said, it will likely be more as a consequence of some bounces here and there, as well as the other team just having an excellent performance.

It’s funny to see, really. People predicting: “I have a feeling this game will go poorly for us... because things have been going so well.” Or in this case “because that’s what always seems to happen to us”. 

I think this season we are closer to recent Tampa Bay teams who simply steam rolled opponents they should (with of course the occasional unexpected loss). This will become even more apparent considering we have to only play our own division.

With all that in place, it’s still true that we have yet to face two teams in our division, and Toronto only once. The ladder is the team that I think will give us the most trouble this year.... until the playoffs 😎

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The only question I have is how will our team handle the trap. 

we haven’t played a trap team yet so it will be interesting to see how we handle that. 

Im expecting a beating and the Sens will have no answer to our depth. 

The whole premise of the trap is to slow the neutral zone down to slow the game down.  I think all 4 lines are too fast and too dynamic to really get caught.  It will be a good game to work on the forecheck.  So much of the offence this year has been on the rush we all forget the forecheck was the identity of the last couple of Habs teams.

54 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I’ve recently noticed posts on here that have a subtle hint of predicting gloom over the horizon and I chalk it up to nothing more than something akin to PTSD; We’re all used to it happening.

We simply wont keep piling up the points at current pace, so a set back or a 4-4-2 stretch will happen.

People know that and just guessing when it will happen and agree we simply havent played Jets-Leafs much yet and they should be more telling games, how strong or consistent this team is. 

But, many like me just cant shake the memory of the Red Wing series from last year.:blush:

43 minutes ago, DON said:

People know that and just guessing when it will happen and agree we simply havent played Jets-Leafs much yet and they should be more telling games, how strong or consistent this team is.

It's worth noting, though, that so far the Jets and Leafs have played each other ... exactly once. The way the schedule works out, the (likely) top teams will not play each other heavily until the second half of the season.

That said, Dom Luszczyszyn's model is now projecting the Habs to finish at the top of the division with 75 points. 55% probability to win the division.

Dom Alphabet is supposedly a knowledgeable stats guys, but I still dont put any stock in anyone's current wild ass guess how will play out.

Way too early.

But, Habs start is 1000% better than a poor one.

I assume Bergevin has fingers crossed players stay smart and can minimize COVID impact on their season. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Dom Alphabet is supposedly a knowledgeable stats guys, but I still dont put any stock in anyone's current wild ass guess how will play out.

Way too early.

I think Dom's model is a bit better than a wild-ass guess. :)  But it is indeed still very early. After another 10 games (includes three against the Leafs and two against the Jets) we'll have a much better idea of where we really stand.

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think Dom's model is a bit better than a wild-ass guess. :)  

Vegas is waiting for your $$ then TommyBoy, put some down on the Habs. :P

20 hours ago, Habsfan said:

I jokingly thought the same thing.  I figured the Sens would be doing a lot better and would have a shot at making the playoffs.  I thought Galchenyuk might rebound and have his 1st good year since leaving the Habs - but the Sens dont seem to be playing him much.  I also wondered if the Pens screwed up getting rid of Murray - but he doesnt seem to be doing well either. 

I am fully expecting a team to make the playoffs this year that would have no chance in a normal season.  The best example is Florida from last season.  Flor was 4th in Habs div, but 11th in Conf, but with this years rules they would make it.  I have a feeling something strange like that will happen this year and predicted the Sens might be the beneficiary of the new rules and have miracle playoff entry.  They'll be swept if they do make it though.  Other member's said that the Sens would be dead last, which they are so far.  However, if the Sens are the Habs new Wings this year and win these 2 games they could still have a chance at 4th.    

I find it very surprising that the Sens have lost 9 straight.  Since the lockout and cap no team is supposed to suck that bad. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Vegas is waiting for your $$ then TommyBoy, put some down on the Habs. :P

I don't gamble, sports or otherwise.😁

But Don's 55% probability of Habs winning the division is quite plausible. It's far from a guarantee -- 45% probability that they do not! -- but his model has the Habs as the favourites for the division, based on games to date.

23 hours ago, PMAC said:

This is a different team. They are going to curb stomp the Sens. 

I was wrong; very wrong... this game. I fearlessly predict that they will curb-stomp the Sens, next game😎

I wasn’t worried. I was wrong. 

it was like watching the Habs of the last decade all over again!

until the end of the game when the urgency returned. It was too little too late - but I expect a Sens-stomping on Saturday. 

8 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I wasn’t worried. I was wrong. 

it was like watching the Habs of the last decade all over again!

until the end of the game when the urgency returned. It was too little too late - but I expect a Sens-stomping on Saturday. 

We need to make adjustments or we will lose again. 

Sens blocked neutral zone so we had no speed. We need a new game plan or I don’t see a different outcome 

On 2/3/2021 at 7:14 PM, Habsfan said:

They did.

40 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Sens blocked neutral zone so we had no speed. We need a new game plan or I don’t see a different outcome 

Think the Habs need an attitude adjustment more than a significant game plan adjustment ... there will be tinkering, there is almost every game to adapt to the opponent ... the issue was a combination of the effort level and most everyone's "bad game" landing on the same night ... if it repeats on Saturday, then there is a problem to worry about 

58 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Absolutely saw how they were in all our passing lanes. But I felt like our speed/intensity wasn’t there so they had time to get in those lanes. 

speed up our game and I think the lanes open up again. 

also, so many times in the second period, Sens were first on the loose puck. I don’t think that happens Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The game plan wasn't the problem. Execution and the speed of execution were sorely lacking last game. This is more about getting back to what works. Also, someone should piss off Josh Anderson just before the game starts. Angry Anderson is awesome! 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, PMAC said:

The game plan wasn't the problem. Execution and the speed of execution were sorely lacking last game. This is more about getting back to what works. Also, someone should piss off Josh Anderson just before the game starts. Angry Anderson is awesome! 

This.