Grading the Habs after 10 games

tomh009

13 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Think you are impacted by some recency in some of those ratings ... overall, I'd say Weber is a C/C+, Petry a B+/A-, Edmundson B-/B, Chiarot C-, Romanov B-, Kulak C+ ... Mete was C-/C

Price would be a C-/C compared to the league ... D compared to CAREY PRICE (i.e., expectations, even tempered expectations)

I agree with the four newcomers

Not really, I'm looking at the overall season.  I will always weigh the second half higher than than the first half - it is much more meaningful. lots of players/teams start out hot, it's a matter of sustaining it. Weber and Chariot again doing nothing out there again on one of the goals tonight. I'd say, if i ws going to rate Price on the old Price, it would be even lower - an F. I was just rating him as what I'd expect from him as a starter.

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Please allow me to pick on your forward grades ... :)

Tatar (10g+20a): C+

Danault (4g+18a): C-

Drouin (2g+21a): D

... and yet ...

Anderson (17g+7a): A-

Yes, Anderson is an impact player, but at essentially the same points production as Danault (C-) and Drouin (D) he gets an A-? And Tatar gets only a C- at 30 points?

Armia is C- at roughly the same production level as last year and Byron (C) is close. I don't think either one is far below (realistic) expectations, and both have spent time on the fourth line where there is not much scoring to be done.

We all love Toffoli and Perry, but I do think some of our returnees are getting a short shrift here.

Taffoli and and n Anderson deserve a higher grade because of the goals. I think their goal total is much higher than anyone expected and they have probably been more consistent than any other forwards (relative, when conisidering goal scorers tend to be a bit streaky).  Tatar on the other hand I'd categorize from awful, useless, ok, good. With a greater chunk of the games in the first two categories.

20 hours ago, tomh009 said:

... and yet ...

Yes, Anderson is an impact player, but at essentially the same points production as Danault (C-) and Drouin (D) he gets an A-? And Tatar gets only a C- at 30 points?

Armia is C- at roughly the same production level as last year and Byron (C) is close. I don't think either one is far below (realistic) expectations, and both have spent time on the fourth line where there is not much scoring to be done.

We all love Toffoli and Perry, but I do think some of our returnees are getting a short shrift here.

I see your point but looking at goals Anderson has more than Gally, Tuna and Byro combined which says a lot.

so I think he is worth the higher mark and given that even when not scoring he usually has some impact on the game it also justifies the disparity in marks.

Tuna and Byro essentially disappear if not on score sheet (especially Tuna), at least Gally brings something to the game even if not scoring.

Anderson adds a speed and physicality elements that those three do not and cannot.

He’a been more impactful consistently and as said has more goals than all three of those fw’s combined, so yeah the disparity is warranted.

none of those three (Tuna, Gally and Byro) are set up men who are so good at setting up teammates that they get a pass, they get lots of clunky secondary assists.

Jo was an exception to that at times, but also far too inconsistent and invisible mostly, and not much point deliberating on him at this point.

Todfoli doesn’t deserve an A+ though as he is not a complete player and turns over a lot of pucks in dangerous areas. The goals are great and get him and A from me, but an A+ is reserved for a more complete player who not only produces offense but defends/prevents excellent as well, so maybe only a 2-8 players in league deserve that. A+ is a loft achievement and no Hab deserves it this year, no .500 or sub .500 team deserves an A+ player rating unless we are talking superstar a la McDavid, Crosby et al when their teams (suck,sucked).

Love Toffolli, so no need to get angry just don’t think his sporadic offense production alone justifies the ultimate mark (he’s a streaky scorer), ignore expectations and contracts if I look at play alone. 

If Toff is an A,

Andy is probably more of a B+.

Perry: B

Eddy: B

Allen: A 

Gally: B

Evans: B

Armia: B-

Suzuki: B

KK: B-

Lehks: C

Drouin: C

Byro: C-

Danault: D

Tuna: D

Just like the whole team, almost everyone was a half mark-full mark higher in first 10-12 games an has since dropped off.

Romanov has looked good and I was unsure why he wasn’t given a longer look on a higher pairing when Chairot was out.

He didn’t excel but didn’t suck, just seemed he was not given long to adapt and display in a higher role.
Glad he is seeing PP time now, I’d give his first season a B overall so far.
He’s the real deal and would be a nice future with him and Sergachev patrolling the point for another 8 years together.   so only thing left to do is trade him to an elite team for a Franco smurf.

21 hours ago, tomh009 said:

... and yet ...

I should have checked the season statistics before posting, that is a fair point. My grades are based on my expectation for each player and how well they've done according to those expectations.

As expected = B

Exceeding expectations = A

below expectations but still NHL-level = C

liablity on ice = D

Anderson was coming off a major injury and based on some posting on the forum, I was not expecting him to do well. I had him on the third line with Kotkaniemi. That is why he gets an A+, because he has far exceeded my expectations

Tatar and Danault have disappointed me,  I expected them to do much better on a contract year. Specially Danault after his comments at the begining of the year. But they did turn around their season and were doing well just before Gallagher's injury. I think they will do well in the playoffs.

And if we compare our numbers to Norman's article:

https://www.habsworld.net/2021/04/2020-21-montreal-3rd-quarter-grades-forwards/

3rd Qt. Norm's grades (Apr.29 '21) @alfredoh2009 @hab29RETIRED @hockeyrealist
Brendan Gallagher – Grade: A B under B B
Tomas Tatar – Grade: A C+ under B D
Corey Perry – Grade: A- B+ B B
Tyler Toffoli – Grade: B+  A+ A+ A
Josh Anderson – Grade: B A- A- B+
Phillip Danault – Grade: B C- under B D
Nick Suzuki – Grade: B B under B B
Jesperi Kotkaniemi – Grade: B- B- under B B-
Paul Byron – Grade: B- C under B C-
Artturi Lehkonen – Grade: C+ C under B C
Jake Evans – Grade: C- B- under B B
Jonathan Drouin – Grade: C- D under B C
Eric Staal – Grade: C- D under B B (Eddy?)
Joel Armia – Grade: D C- under B B-
Edited by alfredoh2009
noted Norm's grades are only for 3rd quarter of season, while other's are more general

On 4/29/2021 at 6:41 AM, hockeyrealist said:

Love Toffolli, so no need to get angry just don’t think his sporadic offense production alone justifies the ultimate mark (he’s a streaky scorer), ignore expectations and contracts if I look at play alone. 

If 25 goals in 45 games is sporadic then I wish we had more players with sporadic production. He has been tremendous this year and is often out in the last minute because the coach trusts him. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Keep in mind that Norm's article is for the third quarter of the season (a 14-game stretch) while the grades you're comparing them to are full-season ones.

I know, but forgot to add it, I'll edit the posting