Habs' prospect pipeline

tomh009

Scott Wheeler (The Athletic) has been posting his rankings of each NHL team's prospects (ranked within each team only). The Habs' pipeline is ranked sixth this year, down from second last year, which I found a bit surprising, considering that there are no significant graduations (top 11 prospects are still there) and the number of prospects are up from 15 to 20. We did lose Juulsen but he was injured in last year's rankings anyway.

Neverthless, here are the rankings, including his tiers. I have added last year's ranks where applicable. Notable changes are drops for Harris (2nd to 5th), Struble (4th to 9th), Poehling (5th to 11th), Ylonen (8th to 16th) and Brook (9th to 12th). Harvey-Pinard has climbed from tier 4 to tier 3.

Tier 1:
1. Caufield (1.)

Tier 2:
2. Romanov (3.)
3. Mysak
4. Guhle
5. Harris (2.)
6. Primeau (6.)
7. Norlinder (7.)
8. Farrell
9. Struble (4.)

Tier 3:
10. Hillis (10.)
11. Poehling (5.)
12. Brook (9.)
13. Fairbrother (inj)
14. Tuch
15. Pitlick (11.)
16. Ylonen (T2:8.)
17. Harvey-Pinard (T4:14.)

Tier 4:
18. Stapley (15.)
19. Olofsson (inj)
20. Biondi
HM. Ikonen (inj)
HM. Teasdale (inj)

Wheeler, too, has significantly downgraded his ranking of Poehling, but between Mysak and Hillis, we still have some options at C. And a ton of options at LD, some of whom will surely end up being traded. I'm looking forward to seeing Norlinder on this side of the pond, though!

On 2/5/2021 at 12:50 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

IDK but I’m getting the feeling that Poehling may not work out. 

Havent seen him play for a long time, he is on the taxi squad, so i will more wait and see how he does first before can say too much, maybe he is now 1/2 step quicker, is stronger and can create his own scoring opportunities in Laval? And Evans all-round game is just a bit better?

But, his stock is low at the moment, thats for sure.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Havent seen him play for a long time, he is on the taxi squad, so i will more wait and see how he does first before can say too much, maybe he is now 1/2 step quicker, is stronger and can create his own scoring opportunities in Laval? And Evans all-round game is just a bit better?

But, his stock is low at the moment, thats for sure.

I hope this is true and works out. 

I was really pumped about the guy

He looked good for a while, but the reality is not all late first-rounders ever become NHL regulars. Dobber's projection is now down to a fourth-liner with a possibility of a third-liner.

image.png

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

He looked good for a while, but the reality is not all late first-rounders ever become NHL regulars. Dobber's projection is now down to a fourth-liner with a possibility of a third-liner.

image.png

That sucks. 

As Don said he has the opportunity to go to Laval and dominate. 

I really hope he understands that his well is drying up

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

As Don said he has the opportunity to go to Laval and dominate. 

I really hope he understands that his well is drying up

In retrospect, that game against the Leafs was probably the worst thing that could have happened to him.

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:43 PM, tomh009 said:

Scott Wheeler (The Athletic) has been posting his rankings of each NHL team's prospects (ranked within each team only). The Habs' pipeline is ranked sixth this year, down from second last year, which I found a bit surprising, considering that there are no significant graduations (top 11 prospects are still there) and the number of prospects are up from 15 to 20. We did lose Juulsen but he was injured in last year's rankings anyway.

Neverthless, here are the rankings, including his tiers. I have added last year's ranks where applicable. Notable changes are drops for Harris (2nd to 5th), Struble (4th to 9th), Poehling (5th to 11th), Ylonen (8th to 16th) and Brook (9th to 12th). Harvey-Pinard has climbed from tier 4 to tier 3.

Tier 1:
1. Caufield (1.)

Tier 2:
2. Romanov (3.)
3. Mysak
4. Guhle
5. Harris (2.)
6. Primeau (6.)
7. Norlinder (7.)
8. Farrell
9. Struble (4.)

Tier 3:
10. Hillis (10.)
11. Poehling (5.)
12. Brook (9.)
13. Fairbrother (inj)
14. Tuch
15. Pitlick (11.)

Tier 4:
18. Stapley (15.)
19. Olofsson (inj)
20. Biondi
HM. Ikonen (inj)
HM. Teasdale (inj)

Wheeler, too, has significantly downgraded his ranking of Poehling, but between Mysak and Hillis, we still have some options at C. And a ton of options at LD, some of whom will surely end up being traded. I'm looking forward to seeing Norlinder on this side of the pond, though!

Habs kept the prospects on @tomh009's list beyond the trade deadline. Only traded low draft picks and managed to improve the club within the cap

:clap::clap::clap: Good Job Habs!!!  :clap::clap::clap:

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:43 PM, tomh009 said:

Tier 1:
1. Caufield (1.)

Tier 2:
2. Romanov (3.)
3. Mysak
4. Guhle
5. Harris (2.)
6. Primeau (6.)
7. Norlinder (7.)
8. Farrell
9. Struble (4.)

Tier 3:
10. Hillis (10.)
11. Poehling (5.)
12. Brook (9.)
13. Fairbrother (inj)
14. Tuch
15. Pitlick (11.)

Tier 4:
18. Stapley (15.)
19. Olofsson (inj)
20. Biondi
HM. Ikonen (inj)
HM. Teasdale (inj)

Nice summary @tomh009

Caufield has proven to be a Tier 1 prospect

Romanov seems to be as advertised

Poehling, Brook dissapointed but have been improving in the AHL

Ylonen seems to be better than I expected

and the rest of the lot are not being rushed, with potential to get a solid crop of talent in the next couple of years

Future looks good for the Habs