A thought

habsfan_69

We need to get bonk scoring so in the kovalev absence move him up to a top line so he can play with more skill. I think with a couple goals under his belt he might get some confidence and start shooting the puck more and creating himself some scoring chances. just a thought.

Yea, Julien gaved him a few shots tonight on the power play with probably having in mind a way to stimulate chances for him to register his first goal of the season.

Otherwise his mission is to be strong defensively centering the third and spending all the additional time on the PK.

There is nothing in his game that would warrant Julien to alter the formation as it is.

Kovalev can't come back soon enough. His absence is throwing the entire team into disarray. I don't even know who plays on what line anymore.

Sure, Bonk might be an option on the first line but I'd prefer to see one of the kids out out there. I'm not sure what Perezoghin did during his stint on the 1st line to deserve being effectively benched, but why not give him 15 minutes a game with Koivu? It's not like he hasn't shown the ability to score at the NHL level.

I agree option+ it would be awesome to see Zhogin back on the first line he is very exciting and I think given time could click with Zednik. I hope with the next few days off Julien finds a permanent fit for our line-up.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind promoting someone to the top line, in hopes that they will improve. A similar thought has been expressed before in different ways ("let's bring up Hainsey (or Kostistyn, or whomever) to see if that will light a fire under him"). Playing in the NHL, and playing on the first line, is something to be earned.

Let's see - Bonk can't finish on the 3rd line. Maybe he'll finish if he's on the top line. Hmm. More likely, he won't finish there either, and we'll have a weaker 3rd line (defensively) and weaker 1st line (offensively).

Originally posted by JMMR

I agree option+ it would be awesome to see Zhogin back on the first line he is very exciting and I think given time could click with Zednik. I hope with the next few days off Julien finds a permanent fit for our line-up.

the coach said that perezhogin is doing very well in offense, but he really needs to improve his defensive plays, like he has to focus on the offense but also know how to react when defensive is require.

above this, julien said that higgins is having a better balance of offensive / defensive plays, that's the reason we saw higgins playing on the first line~

Julien makes so sense. If Perezoghin isn't playing because of his D, then why did Higgins only get 6:33 of ice time yesterday? I know yesterday was an atypical game because of all the penalties, but still...

As I said in the thread called 'Saving the Second Line,' Bonk should replace the dodgy Ribiero on the second line (at least until Ribs elevates his footspeed enough to make him effective in the 'new NHL').

I wouldn't put him on line #1; his offensive production has been too awful to justify it. But given that the second line has only been redeemed from total suckage by Ryder's uncanny nose for the net, I think putting Bonk there couldn't hurt, and would almost certainly help boost his numbers and confidence, as well as the effectiveness of our second line.

Well, given Ryder's uncanny nose for the net, wouldn't it make more sense to move HIM up, if you're gonna break up he and Ribeiro anyway? Zednik can't get one-timers off from the slot anyway, so stick Ryder in there and let Zednik work the weak side.

Plekanec and Higgins can both play the PK and have done so reasonably well so far, so there's no reason they should have played so little ESPECIALLY since we were shorthanded for 26 minutes.

That still leaves 39 minutes of ES/PP time... which also doesn't explain why Perez only got 1:30 of ice time.

I'm just worried that Julien has been exposed as one of those coaches who refuses to play the rooks. And it makes no sense, because all of our rookies have been good this year - we looked a lot sharper earlier in the year when they were playing a lot more.

Well, it's always been the case that the fourth line plays less than the third, the third less than the second and the second less than the first. After all the line changes, the rookies were all left on bottom lines so less ice time was expected. How much ice time does the bottom line normally get? 6 minutes? Well, the bottom line players aren't the best PKers on our team and we spent nearly half the game shorthanded. That means nearly half as much ice time. That means they should get about 3 minutes of ice time. In over time, maybe Claude was too scared to play the bottom line so he stuck with the top ones. Come to think of it, there was only one whistle in all of OT so changes were sporadic (it's much harder to change when the game is at such a quick pace like it is in OT). I don't know why Perezhogin played that little though. Julien knows what Perezhogin has to offer and I guess he just didn't think his skills were needed much in the game.

I was actually surprised that Perezhogin wasn't a shooter in the shootout.

Originally posted by CoRvInA

Option you just answered your question

ALL rooks except Plek were basically benched cause of 26 min of PK

The rookies can play defense, however the veterans are more to coach Juliens plans for PK.

CoRvInA has answered something that has made the team so offensively challenged. If Montreal stops taking so many $&%^^%^%&$&$&$& penalties, the rookies will shine again. Montreals scoring problem can be attested mainly to having to play on the PK at least 14 minutes a night. Hard to get anything going when you parade to the penalty box.

I agree Bonk needs the confidence but he is far too valuable as a third line center.. if you look at our offence and our defence.. it is not our offence that has us with one of the best records in the league right now. And the single biggest reason for our stellar d is that third line.

That being said.. give him the right wing on the first pp line... the work stting up Ryders goal against the Thrashers was all Bonk