Les Olympiques!!

zumpano21

Ok, I'm putting out the big question. With the way Theo has rebounded from his earlier questionable play, is he the #1 pick for Team Canada in nets? I just read a post on TSN that the big pow-wow for the Team Canada organizers is fast approaching.

A quick look at the competition shows that Marty Brodeur has not played well this year at all but remains the unofficial "go-to-guy". Then there's Luongo. Personally, I think he may be a better goalie but it's awfully close and Theo has enjoyed more success this year.

[Edited on 2005/11/24 by zumpano21]

Actually, Brodeur and Luongo are playing eachother right now. Last update I saw it was 5-0 NJ. Luongo let in a couple of bad goals.

I say Theo is a favourite for the #3 spot. In other words, he won't play a minute.

I'm a little disappointed in the faithful here. A quick look around the league reveals no other canadian goalie who is up to the level of Theo, Brodeur and Luongo. Did we mention how all 3 are from the Mtl area?

Again to re-iterate my point. With the way Theo is playing currently, he is a lock for the team. No argument, period. And again, Luongo is no longer displaying the ability to carry FLA like he did the previous season. Brodeur has only mildly turned it around recently. Out of the 3, Theo in my mind is the best choice currently. It's just up to him to keep playing the same way. :/)

Originally posted by zumpano21

I'm a little disappointed in the faithful here. A quick look around the league reveals no other canadian goalie who is up to the level of Theo, Brodeur and Luongo. Did we mention how all 3 are from the Mtl area?

Again to re-iterate my point. With the way Theo is playing currently, he is a lock for the team. No argument, period. And again, Luongo is no longer displaying the ability to carry FLA like he did the previous season. Brodeur has only mildly turned it around recently. Out of the 3, Theo in my mind is the best choice currently. It's just up to him to keep playing the same way. :/)

For the most part, I agree. Theodore, Luongo and Brodeur are Canada's top 3, if no the World's best 3.

Luongo was neevr able to carry Florida. They were always bad. He's playing just like he normally was. If his stats are bit low than that's due to the new NHl and number of goals especially on a bad team like Florida.

And Brodeur hasn't been playing bad this season. The Devils are a bad team this year and they lost their Top 2 defenceman and then replaced them with old-NHL material guys. Of course his team is losing. But I saw him make some amazing saves and I watched osme of his games and he looked great. His positioning isn't that great but his level of talent is so great that he can stop many shots while in strange position and such. Not only his he the best stickhandling goalie in the league but he is just the best the World has to offer.

Again, Theo will make the team but don't expect him to play a minute.

I think Théo gets the #3 spot. Turco has also put up nice stats in the regular season before choking in the playoffs. I doubt the Team Canada brass looks too highly upon that.

Brodeur is still the #1. There's no reason to think he won't play well in Turin.

Brodeur was the product of a system... the system doesn't work any more... especially once the quality of defense on NJ has disappeared. Combine it with the fact that he's getting older, I think he's a shaky choice for #1... at least we don't have to listen to Cujo talk anymore. :)

Iron Lung, thinking like yours was one of the reasons that Cujo started as the #1 in Salt Lake City; I remember very smart hockey commentators saying that Brodeur was a risk as the #1 since NJ's D shielded him so well. Then Brodeur got his chance and showed that he's world class no matter where he plays.

One Olympic gold medal and one World Cup is nothing to scoff at. I say he's the #1 under he does something in Team Canada colours to justify getting demoted. If he bombs, I doubt whoever the coach will be (is it still Quinn?) will hesitate to yank him.

I think with the unbelievably strong team we will be icing this year we can afford to be alittle more risky with our goalie situation..that and the fact that this will be brodeurs last major world event would lead me to believe that he is still the # 1 guy but that the other two are both going to see exhibition games and whoever of them plays better will get a chance to show their stuff with points on the line to solidify them as the next Goalie of team canada future.

Also Theo is the only one of the three who has proven that he elevates his play for big games..his playoff record is stellar and he won gold at the wjc's...I think they have to put him on the team just for the fact that although luongo, turco and (gerber) are all playing well..he has the experience factor that says "consistency"..with all the injuries so far this year..team Canada will place a great importance on this.

Just a thought

"Théo is the only one of the three who has proven he elevates his play for big games.." ??? Um... what do 3 Stanley Cups, 1 Olympic Gold Medal and 1 World Cup prove then?

I can't believe that people still underrate Brodeur after everything that's he's accomplished.

Originally posted by option+

"Théo is the only one of the three who has proven he elevates his play for big games.."  ???  Um... what do 3 Stanley Cups, 1 Olympic Gold Medal and 1 World Cup prove then?

I can't believe that people still underrate Brodeur after everything that's he's accomplished.

I totally agree, Brodeur has proven on more than one occassion he is a big game goalie:ghg:

If you would read again more carefully what was written you will notice that I already said that Brodeur is the #1 guy for Canada. He is all about big game consistency..its where he lives. However if you look at the other THREE possibles:Theo Luongo and Turco.. then you might understand why amongst them I say that Theo is the only one who has proven he can elevate his play for big games.

Therefore with the possibility that Brodeur might (wont happen) slump or be injured (serious concern with the number of games he is required to play for N.J.) then having aproven big game goalie on hand would be essential n the backup role.

I hate to repeat myself but maybe this will help to clarify things for you.

Originally posted by ch for life

If you would read again more carefully what was written you will notice that I already said that Brodeur is the #1 guy for Canada.  He is all about big game consistency..its where he lives.  However if you look at the other THREE possibles:Theo Luongo and Turco.. then you might understand why amongst them I say that Theo is the only one who has proven he can elevate his play for big games.

Therefore with the possibility that Brodeur might (wont happen) slump or be injured (serious concern with the number of games he is required to play for N.J.) then having aproven big game goalie on hand would be essential n the backup role.

I hate to repeat myself but maybe this will help to clarify things for you.

My comments weren"t directed at anything you said

...when in doubt bash Dags

It is interesting to think about how the new NHL affects goalies. Big D-men can no longer crosscheck opposing forwards out of the crease, so the goaltender has to be ready to better deal with screens and deflections and control his rebounds.

Brodeur has missed a few games, it remains to be seen if he will be the "obvious" choice six weeks from now. But I'm guessing he will be.

Originally posted by JeanLucPilon

...when in doubt bash Dags

It is interesting to think about how the new NHL affects goalies. Big D-men can no longer crosscheck opposing forwards out of the crease, so the goaltender has to be ready to better deal with screens and deflections and control his rebounds.

Brodeur has missed a few games, it remains to be seen if he will be the "obvious" choice six weeks from now. But I'm guessing he will be.

Can't go wrong bashing Dags, I think Brodeur would really have to shit the bed to not be #1

[Edited on 2005/11/25 by olematelot]