Feb 10, Toronto @ Montreal, 7:30pm EST

TurdBurglar

37 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Price had a fairly clear view and just got beat

He lets in a suspect goal each and every game....I've come to expect it.  He wasn't good enough tonight to bail out his team from a sub-par effort, nor were they good enough to bail him out for that unscreened long shot that should be saved.  I've said it before and I'll say it again; that bad goal is the difference between stealing a point and not...he just doesn't do it very often, and at his cap hit it gets kind of sickening after awhile.  Just as pissed at the rest of the team though...lack of execution and not finding that extra intensity in a rivalry game was a major let-down.

• Upvote 1

Price lets in a couple of soft goals and it makes all the difference, again.  Dermott's goal was borderline soft, Holl's goal should of been saved.  Would of made all the difference.  I'm a huge Price fan, but Allen needs to be given the #1 role until he loses it or Price gains it back.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I was on postgame duty tonight: https://www.habsworld.net/2021/02/habs-come-up-short-against-toronto/

And on the GDT front, @tomh009 still hasn't lost on his streak so I'm thinking it should be him who does the Edmonton one.

I can take that responsibility on, yes!

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Don't think that was the right call against a Toronto team that plays with speed.  Perry hasn't been all that effective for a while now, it's time for him to sit again.

Agreed. Evans and Lehkonen have been playing much better with Byron.

• Upvote 1

I don't blame Price much for the goals, those were perfect shots to the corners.  It was a pretty even game but we weren't able to generate enough good chances and made a few costly errors.  We have to play almost perfect to beat the Leafs - they're not the sloppy kids of yesteryear.  And most of all, STAY OUT OF THE BOX! Even 4-on-4 is a disadvantage for us against their top guns.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Neech said:

I don't blame Price much for the goals, those were perfect shots to the corners.  It was a pretty even game but we weren't able to generate enough good chances and made a few costly errors.  We have to play almost perfect to beat the Leafs - they're not the sloppy kids of yesteryear.  And most of all, STAY OUT OF THE BOX! Even 4-on-4 is a disadvantage for us against their top guns.  

Price was average and average goalies let in those shots. 

Elite goalies make those saves

Price did not loose us this game but he sure as hell didn’t win it for us. 

Elite my ass

The rest of the team were out worked again for most of the game - most of the second and third. Why do we look so uninterested?

We haven’t forechecked for 3 games and that is our bread and butter   

Danault’s line was dangerous but ineffective. Tatar looks lost and we might see more Toffoli on that line. 

Danault has 2 goals I believe in his last 50 games. He is not worth 6 million in this market. If he is indeed a shutdown guy then pay him like one or piss off. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Easy Ryder said:

To beat the Leafs Danault needs to be way better than that on faceoffs being our best option there, would promote Lekhonen to Danault line instead of Tatar. 

I liked Toffoli in Tatar’s spot and hope to see more. 

I would flip KK and Danault 

Yeah the numbers are better on Andersen’s end but neither goalie really stood out. I thought Price could have had his glove prepared a little higher on the Holl goal but the shots that beat him were fairly precise. Andersen didn’t have much of a chance on the Anderson goal but looked fairly awkward on the Tatar goal. 1 relatively questionable goal against each, and I’d say the Andersen softy was worse.

4 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Yeah the numbers are better on Andersen’s end but neither goalie really stood out. I thought Price could have had his glove prepared a little higher on the Holl goal but the shots that beat him were fairly precise. Andersen didn’t have much of a chance on the Anderson goal but looked fairly awkward on the Tatar goal. 1 relatively questionable goal against each, and I’d say the Andersen softy was worse.

im just cranky at this loss cause we looked like crap for half the game and all I hear today is how the Habs are not contenders like the all mighty leafs. 

Im frustrated that Price let’s In a questionable goal every damn game and it often swings momentum. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I liked Toffoli in Tatar’s spot and hope to see more. 
I would flip KK and Danault 

So effectively, flip Anderson and Gallagher in terms of regular lines

12 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

But to be the goaltender that earned his contract he needs to stop one of those two, if not both ... he hasn't been THE CAREY PRICE regularly for some time ... I believe he still can be ... but he needs to fight to get it back

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Price was average and average goalies let in those shots. 

Elite goalies make those saves

Price did not loose us this game but he sure as hell didn’t win it for us. 

Elite my ass

Price hasn't been elite for about 4-5 years.  You might want to come to terms with that.

44 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I agree with this assessment.  Price didn't let in any stinkers, but if he looked as bad as Andersen did on Tommy's goal there'd be an issue.

Once again, my pull-the-goalie nitpick with Julien.  We have a faceoff in the offensive zone with under two minutes left, but of course we have to wait to win the faceoff to pull the goalie.  We don't win it, and struggle to regain possession for forty seconds, and then pull the goalie on a dump-in, fail to retrieve possession and concede an easy empty netter.  Will Julien ever learn that our best chance to get possession in the offensive zone is with six attackers?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

But to be the goaltender that earned his contract he needs to stop one of those two, if not both ... he hasn't been THE CAREY PRICE regularly for some time ... I believe he still can be ... but he needs to fight to get it back

Actually, he was THE Carey Price not that long ago - during the play-in.

That said, I find myself sharing the frustration about his early-season funks. If memory serves, this is the fourth straight season he starts out poorly. It's not a fluke any more, it's a pattern. The Habs might want to work with him next off-season to break established patterns and see if he can come in strong instead of weak.

True that Andersen had to make more saves then Price, but Andersen's saves we easier to make compared to the saves Price had to make. The Leafs took a helluva lot more QUALITY shots compared the the Habs. MOst of the Habs shots came from the outside or wrist shots from 50 feet out.  Their coach even said it after the game; last nights game was the game where they gave up the least amount of good chances all year...and that includes the games the Leafs played against the Canucks and the Hens.

As far as Price giving up bad goals, I don't think any of the goals he gave up were as bad the goal given up by Andersen on the first goal. The shots that went by Price were top corner shots. They were precise. Not to mention that Holl's shot was a blast from just outside the faceoff circle (by the time he took the shot, he wasn't at the blue line anymore!!)  Price couldn't do anything about the 3rd goal. No goalie could do anything about a goal like that!

Having said all of this, even though I do have a tendancy of defending Price (mostly cause I also used to play in nets in my beer league) I have to admit that I haven't been impressed with Price over the past few seasons (with the exception of last falls playoffs)  I'm worried that father time might be catching up to him!