Game Thread | Montreal vs. Sabres | 11/25/05

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that Julien played some of the other guys more... (Streit, Ribs line)... most likely to give some rest to Koivu and Co. for tonights big match-up against the Leafs.

I only saw the third period but these are the few things I noticed....

1. What is wrong with Julien, is anyone else noticing his PP lines. What the ###### is he doing putting a line out there with dagenais, bonk and streit. what is that a combined total of 2 goals on the year????

2. i dont think we won a faceoff all period, absolutely killed them in that period.

3. man do we need Kovalev back, if he's going to be out another six weeks, Gainey needs to make a move FAST! This team has serious offensive deficiencies.

4. A positive! Markov is seriously developing into a great Defender. Saw him make a few great defensive plays and then that setup pass to Zednik was beautiful. All we need is another top D man and we'll be set.

5. When does the Mark Streit exeperiment end, every game ive seen the guy's bee absolutely dreadful. Ron Hainsey can't be this bad can he?

6. What's happened to perezhogin, its like he's hit the rookie wall in November, does not look like the same player from a month ago.

Habs need to trade, get rid of Dagenais now (waive him), and get a speedy LW to go with the Rib-Ryder line (heh, rib-rider).

Get on the phone, Gainey, maybe Steve Thomas is still around.

OK, kidding, but try something new. Maybe bump Souray off with Sundstrom in a package for Niinimaa and York or Kvasha.

Anything?

well, at least we got alot shots against but we should have won this game. With the trash-talking that Buffalo was saying, we should have been more motivated.

The Habs better beat the Leafs tommorrow or they should start to look at some different options.

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

Habs need to trade, get rid of Dagenais now (waive him), and get a speedy LW to go with the Rib-Ryder line (heh, rib-rider).

Get on the phone, Gainey, maybe Steve Thomas is still around.

OK, kidding, but try something new. Maybe bump Souray off with Sundstrom in a package for Niinimaa and York or Kvasha.

Anything?

I somewhat agree with you. I am not going to panic and say "let's completely trade everyone" But I do in fact feel that a small trade would help this team.

yah I think we've reached the stagnant point that all of us feared was going to come. Minus a miraculous early return of Kovy to the lineup, the needed shakeup is going to have to come from a roster move.

:idea:

Have we had any healthy scratches of late. Could it be that some individuals need to be reminded how poor play could result in being let loose.

Could it be that attitude may be the reason we aren't showing up these last few games. We had a great start to the season. People were still competing for positions on the team. Maybe some of this internal competition could renew team play. I say bring up some of those individuals who are doing well in the minors. I wouldn't stop at the american hockey league, why not those kids in Junior who are lighting it up.

Forget trades at this point at least not yet.

:hlogo:

We've lost, what... 5 of our last 7? Very troubling, indeed. All will be forgiven (by me, at least) if we beat the Leafs tomorrow.

I agree with whoever (les glorieux?) said that Kovalev is the difference between a close win and a close loss. It's not a good situation to rely that heavily on one guy, but I trust Bob to do the right thing. We must not sacrifice our developing talent by trading them to get wins now. We don't want to go back to the bad old days.

[Edited on 2005/11/26 by Mont Royale]

Originally posted by matsnaslundsuperfan

Whose on the trading block tonight.:hlogo:

it depends on the game, on who won and who lost, on the level of patience of the would-be trader, on the knee-jerk factor of the individual, etc. :eyes::eyes::eyes:

Originally posted by matsnaslundsuperfan

:idea:

Have we had any healthy scratches of late. Could it be that some individuals need to be reminded how poor play could result in being let loose.

Could it be that attitude may be the reason we aren't showing up these last few games. We had a great start to the season. People were still competing for positions on the team. Maybe some of this internal competition could renew team play. I say bring up some of those individuals who are doing well in the minors. I wouldn't stop at the american hockey league, why not those kids in Junior who are lighting it up.

Forget trades at this point at least not yet.

:hlogo:

Right on, Mats..... Neurotic trades are not Gainey's MO anyway, but you know he just has to be fuming about the effort the past few games, and rightly so. He's going to want to see them turn this around from within, rather than reward their apathy by bringing in reinforcements. I don't think we can bring kids up from Junior until the season ends (not 100% on this, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong), but we have enough kids with the big club to shake up the lineup, and some callups from the Dogs may be in order.

And speaking of the kids, anyone else worried about them developing bad habits with the recent lethargic approach to games by some of the vets? Ribeiro needs to sit since it seems to be the only way to get into his head that those looooong shifts just aren't going to cut it. Bonk is drifting into the invisibility that marked his last Ottawa days. Dags is the least of our problems, but he has got to pass the puck from time to time, everyone and their grandmother at this point expects him to shoot the second he gets the puck, obviously the Sabres did their homework too.

Maybe also a time for a little locker room speach from our captain?

Originally posted by Amandas_wicked

wow!!! what a sick f*ckin game. two wins in their last six pretty pitiful! doesnt help running into hot goalies either.

guess what guys... slumps happen to players and teams, struggles happen to players and teams, let-downs happen to players and teams...

it's a long season, lots of time to work on the weaknesses, lots more ups and downs to experience...

we're not really a cup-winning team, we're better than last year but not there yet... it may come soon...

don't forget there are 29 other teams trying to do the same as we're trying to do... they go through the same as we do

this is just a game... it's fun, it's exciting, it's great part of our lives but... it's... still... a... game...

etc, etc, etc, etc.....

:hockey::hockey::hockey::hockey::hockey:

I'm seriously starting to question Julien's sanity.

Bulis on the top line? Second, possibly. Third, most definitely.

But 1st line? God! Give me Perezhogin, or Plekanec, or Ryder, or Higgins, or Bonk. I'll even take Begin on that line over Bulis.

I'm all for internal fixes to the Habs problems, but perhaps trading for someone who can score would be a better option? This was a problem even when Kovalev was in the lineup. Now it's just magnified.

well, look at it this way -- would you prefer the Habs win in a half-empty Buffalo arena, or thrash the leaf in the ACC tonight? I know, both would be ideal, but if you could choose just one?

We are without our most talented player, we will be doing ok if we play round .500 for a few weeks until he returns, and given the choice I'll take a win in Tronno tonight for sure!

So: Go Habs Go! Destroy the leaf!!!

I'd love to see an all-rookie line. And since Plex and Higgins are so defensively responsible, it wouldn't be a liability on our own zone. Of course, Julien will have to play them for more than 3 shifts in a game...

Originally posted by redondo

I don't think we can bring kids up from Junior until the season ends

You can only recall junior-eligible players on an emergency basis, and only for a limited period of time. The last time Montreal did it was when they had to recall Olivier Michaud from the Quebec League a number of years ago. In most cases, it either has to be logistically impossible to get a guy from your minor league team - say flying a guy in from Utah or Winnipeg or driving in from Chicoutimi or Drummondville - or you just don't have enough bodies to ice a reasonable team.