Some words on Ryder

Habs77

From "Dynasty" on HF:

After the AHL playofffs there were a couple of individuals who didn't rate Ryder very highly at all. This, in and of itself I don't mind, but was it based on reliable information and other facts?? For starters, it appears that there were some people who based ther opinion solely on the last few games that were broadcast between Hamilton and Houston. What they didn't know was that Ryder was playing pretty beat up...in the series prior to Houston he sustained a fractured rib as a result of a very dirty and cheap hit on the boards. The player who delivered the blow received a 5 minute major for intent to injure, in which he succeeded. Then during the second (and longest game in AHL history) against Houston, Ryder dislocated his shoulder while playing in the second overtime period. Well, what did Ryder do? I think you know the answer to that, as he continued to play and scored the eventual game winner at 5:04 of the 4th overtime period. Personally, I think this was a key turning point in the series which allowed Hamilton to force it to seven games. IMHO, there aren't enough adjectives to describe the amazing character of Ryder. But players like Bob Gainey and Stevie "Y" do come to mind when I contemplate Ryder's character.

Anyway, these are the reasons why Ryder looked somehat ordinary when he played in the last five games of the AHL final, and these are the reasons why Bob Gainey signed the kid.  

Ryder may never make it in the NHL but maybe, just maybe he will turn out to be a diamond in the ruff.

Ryder will make the team this year, not only is he Gainey's type of guy character wise... but CJ has been his coach since the junior days in Hull.

He's got it made, as 4th liner for now... then it's up to him to move up the roster if he can.

Gainey mentioned when he bought out McKay & Czerk that it was to make some room for Ward & Ryder... 2 character guys.

I like Ryder. I think he's going to be a solid NHLer. Probably a good two way 3rd liner...

Unfortunately he won't make the team to start the season and he will only make the squad midseason if there are trades made.

With Perreault, Ribeiro, Juneau, Koivu all set at C.

I don't think we should move him to the wing either...

Now if one or two of our C's get dealt he's in there like flint...