Feb 11, Oilers vs Habs, 8:00 PM

tomh009

Listen, two goals is not a huge deficit. The problem is that the team we saw for two periods doesn’t look like a group which is going to charge back. They look disjointed and uninspired.

I wonder if they were too focused on the road trip and unintentionally took the foot off the gas upon returning home - and now they’re scuffling.

The lack of sustained pressure in the offensive zone is frustrating.  The number of shots either missing the net or right in the crest are frustrating.  The lack of passion is beyond frustrating...it's infuriating.  Wake up you goddamned bums...Jesus H Christ!

RDS crew "game is far from over" ... I'll agree its not over but not so certain it isn't close to over ... unless they pull their sticks out of their .....

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Where did the Habs go?

Not certain ... but I'm going to get ready for bed ... hope I miss something good

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess holding Draisatl/McDavid to 1 point combined isn't good enough when you have to face a brick wall like Mike Smith. Who would have thought?

It’s almost like the two clubs have switched identities since we met earlier in the season. The Oil are (somehow) winning with depth, winning puck battles, and killing on the forecheck, the Habs are now somehow skating in mud, defensively confused, and getting no help from their depth.

On the plus side, nobody suffered a brutal and unpenalized headshot today.

22 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

It's official...

I'm done either the reverse jersey. As beautiful as it is... we started losing once we put it on

It’s the new Barber Pole Jersey!

After chewing on this loss for awhile, I'm feeling like our young centers have struggled lately (makes sense, as consistency is a challenge for inexperienced players)....and what's killing us is that our experienced center who thinks he's worth 6M a season has been absolute dogs**t during their struggles and hasn't driven any scoring to compensate. It seems like the only guy going 100% every shift is Josh Anderson....I wish we had 2 more of him.

7 hours ago, sbhatt said:

After chewing on this loss for awhile, I'm feeling like our young centers have struggled lately (makes sense, as consistency is a challenge for inexperienced players)....and what's killing us is that our experienced center who thinks he's worth 6M a season has been absolute dogs**t during their struggles and hasn't driven any scoring to compensate. It seems like the only guy going 100% every shift is Josh Anderson....I wish we had 2 more of him.

Anderson and KK are the only 2 players that are physical every shift. The rest are big soft marshmallows. 

Weber and Chairot are too slow and routinely get beat. 

We haven’t played the same since Calgary beat us up. Maybe teams have simply adjusted to us but I see a team that believed they were going to score every shift to a team that is primarily concerned with not getting scored on - this reeks of CJ and his safe play. 

I think it was Neech that pointed out that CJ holds our goalie in net until we get possession even though we are in offensive zone. This wastes almost a minute and this speaks to CJ’s need to be safe over risking to win. 

We also do this every season. We start out so strong then a long losing streak followed by a mediocre season where we miss the playoffs. I think we will turn it around this year before it’s too late. 

Flip KK and Danault- KK is more dangerous offensively than Danault whom is clearly struggling his way to 3 million a year. 

Flip Kulak and Chairot. This has nothing to do with performance. It’s about adding mobility to Weber and toughness to Romanov. 

Im not sure safe and steady CJ is the right coach for this team. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Anderson and KK are the only 2 players that are physical every shift. The rest are big soft marshmallows. 

Weber and Chairot are too slow and routinely get beat. 

We haven’t played the same since Calgary beat us up. Maybe teams have simply adjusted to us but I see a team that believed they were going to score every shift to a team that is primarily concerned with not getting scored on - this reeks of CJ and his safe play. 

I think it was Neech that pointed out that CJ holds our goalie in net until we get possession even though we are in offensive zone. This wastes almost a minute and this speaks to CJ’s need to be safe over risking to win. 

We also do this every season. We start out so strong then a long losing streak followed by a mediocre season where we miss the playoffs. I think we will turn it around this year before it’s too late. 

Flip KK and Danault- KK is more dangerous offensively than Danault whom is clearly struggling his way to 3 million a year. 

Flip Kulak and Chairot. This has nothing to do with performance. It’s about adding mobility to Weber and toughness to Romanov. 

Im not sure safe and steady CJ is the right coach for this team. 

It’s a problem for sure that our C are struggling - and predictable, inasmuch as they’re so young. Not sure what Danault’s excuse is.

I don’t share your hate-on for CJ, but I like some of your ideas. I don’t think we can stop using Danault as our shut-down C, but pulling back his ice time a bit in favour of KK might be a good idea. See what K-man does with a little more offensive rope. 

I’d also be up for flipping Kulak and Chiarot. This may be old-fashioned of me, but there is something to be said for the model which pairs a puck-mover with a big, strong grinder. Weber/Chiarot worked great in the play-in, but may be too much of the same thing when carried over an entire season. I’m also not so sure about Edmundson, who is struggling of late. Maybe slot Mete in - at least he has wheels. If teams are now forechecking us with manic intensity (and that seems to be the book on how to beat these Habs), then maybe we need to prioritize quickness and speed on the back end. 

And, of course, when a team is floundering in its own zone, it’s often because the FWs are not backchecking with diligence. A good hard practice may be in order.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s a problem for sure that our C are struggling - and predictable, inasmuch as they’re so young. Not sure what Danault’s excuse is.

I don’t share your hate-on for CJ, but I like some of your ideas. I don’t think we can stop using Danault as our shut-down C, but pulling back his ice time a bit in favour of KK might be a good idea. See what K-man does with a little more offensive rope. 

I’d also be up for flipping Kulak and Chiarot. This may be old-fashioned of me, but there is something to be said for the model which pairs a puck-mover with a big, strong grinder. Weber/Chiarot worked great in the play-in, but may be too much of the same thing when carried over an entire season. I’m also not so sure about Edmundson, who is struggling of late. Maybe slot Mete in - at least he has wheels. If teams are now forechecking us with manic intensity (and that seems to be the book on how to beat these Habs), then maybe we need to prioritize quickness and speed on the back end. 

And, of course, when a team is floundering in its own zone, it’s often because the FWs are not backchecking with diligence. A good hard practice may be in order.

Good post

Im not anti CJ at all I’m not sure that his safe and steady style is what this team needs. 

We have 4 lines that can bring it every shift and using that power “safe and steady “ is like buying a Porche and keeping the speedometer below 60 to reduce risk of engine blowing up. 

13 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

It's official...

I'm done either the reverse jersey. As beautiful as it is... we started losing once we put it on

Petry's wife agrees

Julie Petry on Twitter: "Alright, I LOVE our reverse retros, but I'm not sure we should wear them again for a game..." / Twitter

0-2 = small sample size needless to say

51 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

0-2 = small sample size needless to say

2 is too many, gimmick served its purpose and am sure sold lots of blue Hab jerseys.

1 hour ago, DON said:

2 is too many, gimmick served its purpose and am sure sold lots of blue Hab jerseys.

I’m sure they did as well. I love mine and there’s a bunch of jerseys I liked from the retro group.  If I still lived in LA, I would have grabbed one of those Kings throwback jerseys in a second!  

Anyway, it’s a bit silly to think that our jersey colour has had any impact on our performance. Grasping at straws.  

• tomh009 changed the title to Feb 11, Oilers vs Habs, 8:00 PM