Feb. 13, Canadiens vs Maple Leafs, 7 PM

dlbalr

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If he keeps playing this well Allen would be a great choice 

I think they know as well as the Habs do that Allen is not a #1 goaltender like MA Fleury was for Vegas ... who each team loses is also a function of what else is available ... Allen might be the "best" option available from Montreal but if the overall defence or forward pool is weak then an other Hab (for example, POSSIBLY, Fleury, Lehkonen, Byron) might be their preferred choice ... it will be an interesting process

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think they know as well as the Habs do that Allen is not a #1 goaltender like MA Fleury was for Vegas ... who each team loses is also a function of what else is available ... Allen might be the "best" option available from Montreal but if the overall defence or forward pool is weak then an other Hab (for example, POSSIBLY, Fleury, Lehkonen, Byron) might be their preferred choice ... it will be an interesting process

I can't see Lehkonen being left unprotected. They can protect seven forwards, so assume Anderson, Drouin, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi and Toffoli, that's only five. Maybe one of Armia, Danault and Tatar will be extended by then, but surely not two. So, that means a seventh forward can be protected. Would you choose Byron, Evans, Lehkonen or Weal?

On D, they will surely protect Weber and Petry, so that means only one of Chiarot, Edmundson, Fleury, Kulak and Mete can be protected.

Suzuki and Romanov are exempt.

20 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I can't see Lehkonen being left unprotected. They can protect seven forwards, so assume Anderson, Drouin, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi and Toffoli, that's only five. Maybe one of Armia, Danault and Tatar will be extended by then, but surely not two. So, that means a seventh forward can be protected. Would you choose Byron, Evans, Lehkonen or Weal?

On D, they will surely protect Weber and Petry, so that means only one of Chiarot, Edmundson, Fleury, Kulak and Mete can be protected.

Which is why I said POSSIBLY ... far too early in the season (IMO) to really try to project the protected list ... trades, extensions and performances over the next few months could mess with those final couple of spots up front ... and on defence they could even decide to gamble and expose Shea given his age ... but I will say one absolute for me ... NOT Weal

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

If i had to chose between Byron, Evans, Lehkonen or Weal I would surely keep Lehkonon. Of the defence group I still think Mete has the most upside. Chairot, while valuable will be a UFA in a year anyway and may only be around for 1 more year.  Some may disagree but i would keep Mete from that group, you just can't teach people to skate like he can, hopefully he can learn the defensive side. 

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If i had to chose between Byron, Evans, Lehkonen or Weal I would surely keep Lehkonon. Of the defence group I still think Mete has the most upside. Chairot, while valuable will be a UFA in a year anyway and may only be around for 1 more year.  Some may disagree but i would keep Mete from that group, you just can't teach people to skate like he can, hopefully he can learn the defensive side. 

Yeah, I don't think Seattle would take Chiarot (or Kulak), they would want players that they can secure for more than one year. Maybe Edmundson, but I don't expect Fleury to be high on their list. So, if Mete plays well for the rest of the season, he likely should be protected.

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Hudon was the other notable since he was coming off what wound up being his one good season.  Here's the list: https://www.habsworld.net/2017/06/montreals-expansion-protection-list/

Quite the flashback. Seven of the 11 protected players are still with us, plus Lindgren and Lehkonen from the exempt list. But not a single unprotected player is on the team today.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Hudon was the other notable since he was coming off what wound up being his one good season.  Here's the list: https://www.habsworld.net/2017/06/montreals-expansion-protection-list/

Boy, that D was absolute crap!

On 2/15/2021 at 5:07 PM, Trizzak said:

Man, with only 1 defenseman out of Chiarot, Edmundson, Kulak, Mete, and Fleury to be protected for the Expansion draft, but with a prospect pipeline of Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Norlinder, Struble, Brook, and Fairbrother, it's gonna be really disappointing if Seattle takes Jake Allen or Paul Byron.

If they take Byron, then that's 3.5 millions$ less on teh payroll for a 31 year odl 4th liner. Don't get me wrong, I really like Byron, but for what he brings at the moment, he's paid too much money!

As some else mentioned, I think most of the league knows by now that Allen isn't as good when he's the number 1 goalie. I think that might make Seattle think twice about taking him and making him their number 1. If they do decide to take him, then we've got Primeau who's waiting in Laval for the big show. By next year, Primeau will have played a full season as the no. 1 guy in Laval and will be more than ready to act as Carey's backup!

20 hours ago, GHT120 said:

and on defence they could even decide to gamble and expose Shea given his age

You can bet your next paycheck that Bergevin will not leave Shea unprotected!

4 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

By next year, Primeau will have played a full season as the no. 1 guy in Laval and will be more than ready to act as Carey's backup!

Maybe. He's still very young for a goalie.

7 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

You can bet your next paycheck that Bergevin will not leave Shea unprotected!

Was not predicting, but time will tell ... Shea is 37 next season and he won't get any faster/agile ... but as much as I appreciate your advice (always looking for easy money) I can't do as you suggest, I'm retired and no longer get a paycheque. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe. He's still very young for a goalie.

I wouldnt want primeau as backup next season.  He needs to play lots of games in the AHL.  This covid season isnt doing him any favours that way.

Its better than not playing but this season is very short.