Pre-Expansion Draft Discussion

Trizzak

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks for straightening me out. It’s a pity; like I say, I’m tired of the watching As The Carey Price Turns and think it’s just time to move along. It’s worth gently reaching out to him about Seattle. That said, I doubt he will be interested in uprooting his family. He doesn’t seem the type.

I think he'd love to live out west, and outside the media fishbowl of Montreal.  The proximity to family is another bonus.  

I'm skeptical Bergy would ever do it because of loyalty and 'character' reasons, but we should absolutely explore sending Price to Seattle.  This is basically our one shot of getting out from under that contract.  No other team has the cap space to take on a $10.5M goalie.  The Weber deal seems more moveable due to his declining salary, and there's more room on a roster for an underperforming and overpaid D than a goalie in that situation.

5 hours ago, Neech said:

I think he'd love to live out west, and outside the media fishbowl of Montreal.  The proximity to family is another bonus.  

I'm skeptical Bergy would ever do it because of loyalty and 'character' reasons, but we should absolutely explore sending Price to Seattle.  This is basically our one shot of getting out from under that contract.  No other team has the cap space to take on a $10.5M goalie.  The Weber deal seems more moveable due to his declining salary, and there's more room on a roster for an underperforming and overpaid D than a goalie in that situation.

Loyalty from Mb?  Isn’t this the if you want loyalty, get a dog GM?

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Loyalty from Mb?  Isn’t this the if you want loyalty, get a dog GM?

Eliminating loyalty or qualitative evaluation considerations, I think the issue is as much (or more) that moving Weber or Price out at this point would mean that MB is admitting Price's contract and Weber's acquisition has proven to be a long-term mistake by not building a proper supporting cast around them earlier when they were at or net their peak ... thus I see neither going anywhere under Bergevin.

4 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think the big risk to exposing Price would be if he doesn't get claimed. It would be on his head all the time, and Montreal media would go crazy with it.

I don’t think he agrees to waive his NMC unless there is a deal worked out like in the Fleury situation.  I also think Weber is the one you expose and Price be a trade.

32 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I think the big risk to exposing Price would be if he doesn't get claimed. It would be on his head all the time, and Montreal media would go crazy with it.

Since he can only be exposed with his permission, he would either have to want out (which IMO would mean something is already in his head and the Habs pretty have to find a way to move him) or he is convinced/agrees that keeping Allen is worth the risk of being exposed.

If his in-laws live in Seattle, then I think that happy coincidence gives you the cover you require for that "difficult conversation." You just say: Carey, we want what is best for you and your family. You have already made an indelible contribution to our organization which the entire franchise and city cherish. Heading into the final years of your career, if you are interested in playing close to home, we will understand and can facilitate. Or you can close out your playing days with us. We will respect and support your decision either way."

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If his in-laws live in Seattle, then I think that happy coincidence gives you the cover you require for that "difficult conversation." You just say: Carey, we want what is best for you and your family. You have already made an indelible contribution to our organization which the entire franchise and city cherish. Heading into the final years of your career, if you are interested in playing close to home, we will understand and can facilitate. Or you can close out your playing days with us. We will respect and support your decision either way."

...But we would be more happy if you want to be closer to home and your cap hit has nothing to do with us bringing this up 😇

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

...But we would be more happy if you want to be closer to home and your cap hit has nothing to do with us bringing this up 😇

Ahhh, he is getting his ring as a Hab next year and retiring a Hab as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Ha haaa, yep. But Carey's a big boy, he should be able to understand an organization doing due diligence in exploring all its options.

Despite the "loyalty is for dogs" comment, I suspect MB will not even consider going down this road because Carey is "his guy" and a "franchise cornerstone." For the same reason, I suspect he will not even consider exposing Weber. He'll cling to the idea that these guys are Great Players even though they aren't anymore. Hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha haaa, yep. But Carey's a big boy, he should be able to understand an organization doing due diligence in exploring all its options.

Despite the "loyalty is for dogs" comment, I suspect MB will not even consider going down this road because Carey is "his guy" and a "franchise cornerstone." For the same reason, I suspect he will not even consider exposing Weber. He'll cling to the idea that these guys are Great Players even though they aren't anymore. Hope I'm wrong.

It is one of the reasons MB needs to be replaced. Whether due to incompetence or shame I do not believe our GM is willing to do what is best for this organization. 

Both Price and Weber need to go. 

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Both Price and Weber need to go. 

You do know how naïve this sounds? 

SO, what kind of realistic master plan do you actually propose to rid the team of these 2 players?

2 hours ago, DON said:

You do know how naïve this sounds? 

SO, what kind of realistic master plan do you actually propose to rid the team of these 2 players?

There are a couple of scenarios that have been discussed. Losing one to Kraken would be ideal. 

Lamoriello traded an overpaid, broken down Phaneuf so anything is possible. 

If Price won’t waive then he won’t waive but options need to be explored 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There are a couple of scenarios that have been discussed. Losing one to Kraken would be ideal. 

Ya, nothing here is realistic and good luck coming up with any scenario.

You can complain about it, sure, but for forseeable future those two will be on Habs roster and we are gonna have to live with it.:spamafote:

41 minutes ago, DON said:

Ya, nothing here is realistic and good luck coming up with any scenario.

You can complain about it, sure, but for forseeable future those two will be on Habs roster and we are gonna have to live with it.:spamafote:

There is always the distinction between "should" and "will" ... I think most (maybe almost all) recognize that Bergevin likely chews his own arm off before exposing, or for that matter trading, Price or Weber ... but there is also the cathartic benefit of expressing the "should" without predicting it is the "will"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That column is the biggest troll in Habs media.  That writer is a joke.  I don't take anything seriously from Brendan Kelly. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

That column is the biggest troll in Habs media.  That writer is a joke.  I don't take anything seriously from Brendan Kelly. 

like complotistes, seems like Mr. Brendan Kelly has his followers...

• 1 month later...

Is this an exploitable situation ... Avs have Erik Johnson who must be protected because of his NMC and three other defencemen who played at least 23 minutes/game this past season (22 plus in these playoffs) ... Makar (1.00) would have been first  in Pts/Gm on the Habs, while Girard (.67) and Toews (.58) would have been comfortably second ... unless Johnson waives his NMC the Avs risk losing one of these 27 or younger, offensively productive defencemen ... I would gladly expose Chiarot and Edmundson (assuming Weber is not an option) if the Habs could add Toews or Girard (let;'s face it, if Sakic dealt makar he would get committed to a psychiatric facility).

:popcorn:

31 teams will lose one player to Seattle

Teams still retain the rights to their unprotected players that were not picked up 

:rolleyes:

the UFA window may provide an opportunity to pickup a good player if Habs decide to trade a prospect

:money:

some GMs will go crazy and screw up during that time

I expect MB, if he comes back as GM, to have another strong off-season

Makar Girard and Toews all have outstanding analytics.  Girard was a true #1 while Makar was hurt and Toews analytics arent just a product of being in Colorado.  They were excellent with the Isles and i have no clue why they traded him.

I see the AVS protecting 4 d if johnson doesnt waive... which means they likely lose Burakovsky or Kadri.

But if they want to trade one of those 3 D... then 100% im all ears.  All three would challenge Petry for best D on the Habs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Makar Girard and Toews all have outstanding analytics.  Girard was a true #1 while Makar was hurt and Toews analytics arent just a product of being in Colorado.  They were excellent with the Isles and i have no clue why they traded him.

I see the AVS protecting 4 d if johnson doesnt waive... which means they likely lose Burakovsky or Kadri.

But if they want to trade one of those 3 D... then 100% im all ears.  All three would challenge Petry for best D on the Habs.

Cap casualty. They didn't want to trade him. 

Are we seriously discussing giving Carey Price away? After what he’s shown in the playoffs that Montreal is STILL participating in? With he being the biggest reason they aren’t out?

31 is going nowhere this off season.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:popcorn:

31 teams will lose one player to Seattle

Teams still retain the rights to their unprotected players that were not picked up 

:rolleyes:

the UFA window may provide an opportunity to pickup a good player if Habs decide to trade a prospect

:money:

some GMs will go crazy and screw up during that time

I expect MB, if he comes back as GM, to have another strong off-season

Ive tweeted the Kraken a few times, politely asking them not to take Jake Allen. 

Hope they leave him alone

36 minutes ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Are we seriously discussing giving Carey Price away? After what he’s shown in the playoffs that Montreal is STILL participating in? With he being the biggest reason they aren’t out?

31 is going nowhere this off season.

None of those posts have been after the playoffs started