The Cristobal Huet Thread

mathieug

5 shutouts in 11 games. The only thing stopping him from winning the Vezina is the number of games he's played. Kiprussof will win it and Huet will hopefully/probably be nominated at this point in time. By the way, all those other goalies with 5 shutouts have played atleast double the number of games of Huet (25 give or take).

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been bothering me. I read in a Gazette article the day we got Aebischer that this was the first time since 1965-66 that the Habs don't have a French-Canadian goalie. From there I wondered whether this was the first time that we ever had a European duo. I couldn't think of anyone so from there I wondered whether we ever had a single European goalie. And I can't think of anyone before Huet. So - was Huet amazingly the first European goalie in Canadiens history?

This has been bothering me. I read in a Gazette article the day we got Aebischer that this was the first time since 1965-66 that the Habs don't have a French-Canadian goalie. From there I wondered whether this was the first time that we ever had a European duo. I couldn't think of anyone so from there I wondered whether we ever had a single European goalie. And I can't think of anyone before Huet. So - was Huet amazingly the first European goalie in Canadiens history?

Wilf Cude.

Tomas Vokoun? Too bad he only got 20'.

Just wanted to say that Huet is playing awesome, but that we shouldn't forget the excellent job of the penalty killers and defence. Without the much improved play of these groups Huet would not have 5 shoutouts so early. It is a team game, and Huet is just one of the cogs in the overall good play!

Just wanted to say that Huet is playing awesome, but that we shouldn't forget the excellent job of the penalty killers and defence. Without the much improved play of these groups Huet would not have 5 shoutouts so early. It is a team game, and Huet is just one of the cogs in the overall good play!

Yes this is certainly true. This is one of the biggest changes since Gainey took over from Julien. We are

blocking many more shots and taking away the other team's chances. Last night the Rangers shots on net by period were 5-9-12. But I believe 7 of the thrid period shots came in the first 2 minutes during their 2 man advantage. Huet played very well but the Rangers only had a few good chances in the whole game. Even during the 2 man advantage our PK did a great job of protecting him.

"He's a pretty special guy, because it just seems like he doesn't have any pressure. Sometimes you have to ask yourself if he really realizes what's going on."

-Craig Rivet

Gotta love him.

It's pretty cliché for a goalie to credit his teammates for a shutout, noting how his defensemen allowed him to see the puck and managed to clear away rebounds, and how his forwards kept the puck in the offensive zone.

The only difference is that when Huet says it, you get the distinct impression he actually means it. And that alone makes the Canadiens a much better team.

Thanks Simonus. Great stuff.

Edited by mathieu30

So, where will Cristo play next season?

C'est vrai que rien n'est encore fixé. J'ai beau être performant en ce moment, le vent peut tourner très vite. Ce qui est sûr, c'est que si les choses se passent bien cette saison, je chercherais certainement à décrocher une place de titulaire. Si je ne trouvais pas ce que je recherche, où que les choses soient plus difficiles que prévu, je pourrais revenir en Europe effectivement.

Je suis en fin de contrat et je sais que de toute façon je peux revenir en Suisse. Mais si je ne parviens pas à trouver un poste de titulaire en NHL dans les deux prochaines années, j'aviserai. Être en NHL c'est bien, mais ça ne fait pas tout.

-Cristo Huet

http://www.hockeyarchives.info/interviews/huet.htm

Votre parcours à Montréal est déjà une aventure formidable. Que gardez-vous de plus fort ?

(Il hésite) Je ne pensais pas entendre La Marseillaise au Centre Bell.

Gotta love Huet! Gotta love him.

• 2 weeks later...

«C'est un honneur de jouer ici, de jouer pour cette équipe. Je ne sais pas encore pour le prochain contrat, je vais penser à tout ça au terme de la saison. Mais j'aime jouer ici; le fait d'avoir des fans qui adorent leur équipe comme ça, des fans si passionnés, c'est incroyable. Je me sens bien à Montréal, mais le nouveau contrat, c'est une discussion qu'on aura à la fin de la saison. Pour le moment, je préfère me concentrer sur ce qui se passe sur la glace.»

-Cristobal Huet, La Presse

Tricolore jusqu'au bout!

don't you think its time Huet gets the recognition that he is by now at least a average Number one goalie! I mean even Pat Lalime still has that Career potential

someone tell TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2311&hubname=

DO you realize that TSN probably has > 900 players in that database and its pretty hard to update it. Probably won't be changes till the summer.

Edited by kaos

FYI:

Cristo[-wall] has matched José Théodore's 2001-02 benchmark

save % of 0.931.

May he stay at that level until/exceed it by the regular season's end.

Just wondering since Mr Huet will become a UFA on July 1st, Is ther any reason for us Habs fans to worry that we might lose this stud to some other team??? Im thinking he will like to sign with the Habs. The fans love him and we did give him is big break. We better not lose this guy but at what cost...Any thoughts?? :hlogo:

Tell me theres nothing to worry about..... :hlogo:

Just wondering since Mr Huet will become a UFA on July 1st, Is ther any reason for us Habs fans to worry that we might lose this stud to some other team??? Im thinking he will like to sign with the Habs. The fans love him and we did give him is big break. We better not lose this guy but at what cost...Any thoughts?? :hlogo:

Tell me theres nothing to worry about..... :hlogo:

Stud?............ :?-

If he doesn't break down completely any time between now and the playoffs (and including the playoffs) I do believe Gainey will resign him.

The way the fans have now come to worship him, I do believe he'll want another shot at hearing his name in the roar of the crowd again next season, and the best place for that kind of spectacle to happen, is well, here in Montreal!

I doubt we'll see both HU-ET!!!* & Aebischer still in Montreal by next season though. That is unless the habs can get HU-ET!!! to sign to a relatively cheap contract, and expect to have Yann Danis stay down in Hamilton for another season. Personally I believe Yann Danis is ready for the big show.

On another note, should the Habs sign HU-ET!!! to a contract this off-season... It would probably be something like the contract that Ryder and Ribiero got last summer. It’d be sort of a 1-year deal to see if he's the real deal. Of course, I'm sure there would be some pretty performance bonuses as well.

*: I refuse to spell his name any other way! ;)

If he doesn't break down completely any time between now and the playoffs (and including the playoffs) I do believe Gainey will resign him.

The way the fans have now come to worship him, I do believe he'll want another shot at hearing his name in the roar of the crowd again next season, and the best place for that kind of spectacle to happen, is well, here in Montreal!

I doubt we'll see both HU-ET!!!* & Aebischer still in Montreal by next season though. That is unless the habs can get HU-ET!!! to sign to a relatively cheap contract, and expect to have Yann Danis stay down in Hamilton for another season. Personally I believe Yann Danis is ready for the big show.

On another note, should the Habs sign HU-ET!!! to a contract this off-season... It would probably be something like the contract that Ryder and Ribiero got last summer. It’d be sort of a 1-year deal to see if he's the real deal. Of course, I'm sure there would be some pretty performance bonuses as well.

*: I refuse to spell his name any other way! ;)

I hope your right.... I would have no problems getting rid of Abby in the off season.As for Danis I thought he looked great for us at the start of the saeson when he played 5/6 games there. I think hes good to go 20/25 games, leaving 55/60 or so for Huet.. :hlogo:

well done with the artical on Cristobal Huet! It's going to be interesting to see what happens with our goaltending situation in the off season.

One thing is for sure it will be a lot easier to get rid of Aebischer rather then being stuck with Theo in the off season!!!! :hlogo: