The Cristobal Huet Thread

mathieug

Get rid of Huet, he sucks. Give Danis a shot. He played a hell of a lot better than both Huet and THeodore in his short stint (game wise), while he was in Montreal
Was this post an attempt to shit disturb because if you were serious about Huet I'd say you need to wipe the egg off your face :lol:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares, as long as they score a few goals will be my answer.

I DO so I can Debate senseless remarks from posters like YOU!! ;) and ME!

Ummm Deftones on the Earphones NOW ...relaxing....slowly GOWING deaf......... WHAT?

Edited by CoRvInA

• 5 weeks later...

Huet played 41 games in LA last year and registered a .907 save % and a 2.43 GAA as a rookie. Those aren't stellar numbers, but they're certainly solid. This season, well, he's only played in a handful of games, but the results speak for themselves. What do you think, folks? Is it possible that we have fluked into acquiring the second coming of Jeff Hackett, i.e., an older goalie with an undeserved reputation as a backup, but who actually has the tools to be a highly effective starting goaltender?

I worry that, because of their immense investment in Theo, he will be automatically restored to #1 status after the break as long as he performs adequately. But if the difference between Theo and Huet is marginal, then we ought to look to dispose of Theodore ASAP, in order to save on his massive salary. I don't envy Bob...he's going to have to make some very fundamental decisions about our goaltending without full information.

Then again, you could just go with a 1/1A approach - worked well with Hackett and Theo, and with Roy and Hayward, back in the day.

"Huet veut être notre gardien numéro un"

"Il ne cesse de m'étonner. Il joue bien depuis deux ou trois semaines. Il était prévu qu'il serait notre gardien numéro deux. Mais il nous lance le message qu'il veut être notre gardien numéro un. Je m'attends toujours à une contre-performance de sa part un de ces soirs. Sauf qu'il est toujours solide."

-Bob Gainey, rds.ca, 12/02/2006

Huet wants to be our #1 goalie

He doesn't stop to amaze me. He's playing well for 2-3 weeks now. We expected him to be our #2 goalie, but he's showing he wants to be the nr. 1. I expected a lesser performance but he kept a high level of play.

Sorry for my english translation, I try my best ;)

I don't think that saying Huet is a number 1 goalie right now sounds crazy. Goalies are late developers, and Huet is about 30 years old now. I think we acquired a player who is just heading into his prime, and that trade is actually great...If only Bonk was scoring, although he has been playing well of late.

And it seems like the fans in the bell centre have taken Huet to their hearts as well. I want them to play them both until the playoffs and if we make them we should use Theo unless he has been absolutely horrible. Theo has good playoff experience after defeating a top-ranked bruins twice in VERY close series.

I guess we'll only know if he continues to play like this for the rest of the year and next year.

But thats not going to happen. Bob Gainey has a big problem. He's got a $5 Million dollar goalie sitting on the the bench thats his #1 and he needs to play. So regardless of whether Huet is a #1 or not he's not going to get the chance to show it because of Theodore's contract.

The Habs have a six-game road trip after the Olympic break. If Theo's gonna re-claim the number one job, it will have to be on that road trip. The way the crowds have reacted to Huet's play, there's be a ten-minute stoppage in play after Theo's first goal allowed if he started his first game at home after the break. He's going to have to prove himself all over again.

Part of the reason why people didn't want to trade Garon was because he was seen as competition for José, which made him play better. If that's how Theo saw it, then Huet's play should certainly light a fire under Theo to bear down and find his 02-03 form, if he gets the chance.

Next season, it's all up in the air again. Theo's play certainly makes him hard to unload this season, if Gainey even wants to, and it certainly won't make him all that marketable next season either. I think he comes into camp needing to establish himself as the number one goalie again, along with Danis, Halak, Michaud, and Huet. He'll at least get a contract offer, but with his play this season, he's bound to get others from around the league as well, who may guarantee him the number one job. I don't know if Gainey is ready or willing to make that bold a move.

Let's hope Huet doesnt lose it over the olympic break or let's hope Theo gets the magic back one or the other should work

I'd prefer the first. Then we can dispose of THEO and his mamoth deal. But it never hurts to have to goalies who are both on fire. I'll settle for 1 but it never hurts to have 2.

I believe we will see Huet get the first start back and Theo the second, and see where things stand after 1 performance each. But i have said for a long time, that I believe it is Bob's plan to somehow dump Theo, either sooner or later (the summer) in order to free up more cap space and replace him with a equally reliable but cheaper goaltender.

[sorry for my english translation, I try my best ;)

No need to apologize. I, for one, appreciated your efforts :hlogo:

He is a number 1 goalie right now. Can he keep up the pace? Why not? He has been the difference in a marginaly game. I am assuming Theo will get some starts after the O. break. Hopefully a fresh beginning. It would be unwise to start him in Montreal. Too much pressure.

"Huet veut être notre gardien numéro un"

"Il ne cesse de m'étonner. Il joue bien depuis deux ou trois semaines. Il était prévu qu'il serait notre gardien numéro deux. Mais il nous lance le message qu'il veut être notre gardien numéro un. Je m'attends toujours à une contre-performance de sa part un de ces soirs. Sauf qu'il est toujours solide."

-Bob Gainey, rds.ca, 12/02/2006

Huet wants to be our #1 goalie

He doesn't stop to amaze me. He's playing well for 2-3 weeks now. We expected him to be our #2 goalie, but he's showing he wants to be the nr. 1. I expected a lesser performance but he kept a high level of play.

Sorry for my english translation, I try my best ;)

You done good.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I don't want to get to technical here, but have you noticed the change in Huets' basic stance since his arrival here in Montréal (something I'm saying since december '05)?

If you want proof, I have video!

I saw him play last year in germany. It's amazing how much he improved over the last couple of months.

We should be very happy with Melanson as our goalie coach!

France is in and Huet is the goalie. I wouldn't say he is a #1 goalie by the last month alone, but he is heading in the right direction. Makes you wonder what a team will give for him IF Theo gets it back. That is my hope, Theo comes on strong before trade deadline and we get a 1st line d-man for Huet, ie. Pronger. Then what do you say about the trade, Garon for Pronger and Bonk?