The Cristobal Huet Thread

mathieug

If he doesn't break down completely any time between now and the playoffs (and including the playoffs) I do believe Gainey will resign him.

The way the fans have now come to worship him, I do believe he'll want another shot at hearing his name in the roar of the crowd again next season, and the best place for that kind of spectacle to happen, is well, here in Montreal!

I doubt we'll see both HU-ET!!!* & Aebischer still in Montreal by next season though. That is unless the habs can get HU-ET!!! to sign to a relatively cheap contract, and expect to have Yann Danis stay down in Hamilton for another season. Personally I believe Yann Danis is ready for the big show.

On another note, should the Habs sign HU-ET!!! to a contract this off-season... It would probably be something like the contract that Ryder and Ribiero got last summer. It'd be sort of a 1-year deal to see if he's the real deal. Of course, I'm sure there would be some pretty performance bonuses as well.

*: I refuse to spell his name any other way! ;)

Under the new collective agreement I don't think we can offer Huet any bonuses at all next year. I too think he will sign a 1 year deal with the Habs. But with so many teams looking for goaltenders some team might offer him a lucrative contract and we would have to decide what to do.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under the new collective agreement I don't think we can offer Huet any bonuses at all next year. I too think he will sign a 1 year deal with the Habs. But with so many teams looking for goaltenders some team might offer him a lucrative contract and we would have to decide what to do.

Really? No bonuses? Well that's interesting! So you're pretty sure about this? I read on the NHL.com site where bonus' are given, but they're for entry-level contracts... hmm..

That's a blow though, because his price will surely rise. I'm guessing somewhere between $1.5M and $2.5M for a 1-year type contract.

Gainey is stuck between a rock and a hard place with the Huet situation. He doesn't know if his current performance level is "for real" so he probably doesn't want to give him a huge raise or a long term deal. On the other hand, if he doesn't do so, *someone else might!* For example, latest rumour is that the Laffs are interested in him.

Gainey might also want to wait to see how he does in the playoffs, yet it would be easier to sign him *now.* If he waits too long, Huet might decide to test free agency.

So it seems Gainey is in a situation where he might be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't!

- Jack

I highly doubt it with a maximum of 39 Games Played.

Ludquivst, Legacy, maybe Hasek, Kiprusoff, Broduer, Turek....those are the guys that'll get the nominations. Huet doesn't have a chance

:?-

Ludquivst, Legacy, maybe Hasek, Kiprusoff, Broduer, Turek....those are the guys that'll get the nominations. Huet doesn't have a chance

:?-

Maybe he meant Gerber? *shrug*

First of all, I assume you mean Turco and not Turek.

Second, if Kipper started 39 games and made the final cut, Huet certainly deserves a shot.

Top 5 are Huet, Legace, Lundqvist, Hasek, and Kipper. With Hasek perhaps out for the year, that hurts his chances a lot. As for Legace, I think his SV% just doesn't stack up against the others. I think Huet absolutely has a shot at being a finalist. He's top 2 in SV%, GAA, and SO. Like I said, if Kipper did it last season, Huet should have a legitimate shot.

First of all, I assume you mean Turco and not Turek.

Second, if Kipper started 39 games and made the final cut, Huet certainly deserves a shot.

Top 5 are Huet, Legace, Lundqvist, Hasek, and Kipper. With Hasek perhaps out for the year, that hurts his chances a lot. As for Legace, I think his SV% just doesn't stack up against the others. I think Huet absolutely has a shot at being a finalist. He's top 2 in SV%, GAA, and SO. Like I said, if Kipper did it last season, Huet should have a legitimate shot.

YEah I meant Turco, sorry about that. NOpe Huet has no shot. Columnist and fans will argue that he probably should, but he won be there when the final bell rings.

I dunno, I'm starting to come around on the Vezina talk, if only because of the shutouts. I mean, if Huet can finish the season leading in basically every category, including shutouts, I think that makes it incredibly difficult for a voter to discount his impact.

Also, I think if the habs finish above 7th, Huet's stock goes up even more.

I guess still a longshot and a lot of ifs, but I can see a path...

Now every Huet shutout is worth, what, another hundred grand come contract negotiation time? I wish he'd been locked up for at least a coupla years over the Olympic break but that's just 20/20 hindsight.

Now every Huet shutout is worth, what, another hundred grand come contract negotiation time? I wish he'd been locked up for at least a coupla years over the Olympic break but that's just 20/20 hindsight.

I don't know about this Huet thing. I see a Ribeiro, Ryder type contract this offseason for him. Maybe something like a one year deal for $1.5 to $2 Million. If he's legit, and plays well next season, then he gets the big 3yr $12 Million or so deal. If not, then Montreal goes to another plan, maybe Danis or soemthing.

But if Huet is going to demand big dollars after 39 games (+ whatever happens in the playoffs) then theres going to be a showdown.

I doubt that any team will be willing to pay more then 2M$ for Huet. A long term contract with big $ for a 30 year old guy that only had a great 1/2 season would be quite surprising from any team.

I think that Theo and Khabibulin's contracts were good examples of what not to do and a good lesson for all 30 teams.

I say max 2.5M$ for a 1 year contarct and less if for more then 1 year. Otherwise, thanks for the memories.

You people are forgetting the stupidity and big wallets of some teams like the Leafs.

If Huet was a restricted free agent, then yes, he would be getting a Ribs type contract.

Unfortunately, we will be in a bidding war with any GM in the league willing to take a shot that he is not a one year wonder. Personally, I am kind of worried that we end up over paying and he does come back to earth (and we all know there are many examples of that in this league). I would hate to end up with another bad goalie contract...

I doubt that any team will be willing to pay more then 2M$ for Huet. A long term contract with big $ for a 30 year old guy that only had a great 1/2 season would be quite surprising from any team.

I think that Theo and Khabibulin's contracts were good examples of what not to do and a good lesson for all 30 teams.

I say max 2.5M$ for a 1 year contarct and less if for more then 1 year. Otherwise, thanks for the memories.

Lets not forget that most GM's have very short memories, and don't have problems handing out large contracts. Let look a two examples. Olli Jokinen. Sure he's having a good season, not a great one. This guy has done nothing in his career and Florida just gave him $5 million a season.

Second you mention Jose Theodore's contract. OK, maybe we perceive that to be bad, and you say a lesson should be learned from it? The Avalache still traded for this guy. THere are GM's out there who are willing to overpay for players. No question.

With Huet, I think he enjoys Montreal and it seems thus far that he can handle the pressure. Then again, he's only seen the fans' good side towards him.

Either way, I doubt that Huet will see the UFA period before being signed. I'm sure the Habs will work out a deal with him before July 1st. Thus, eliminating the chance that we get out-bid. Sure some GM's might be eager to call up his agent and ask him to hold off, but in the end it comes down to where Huet would like to play.

I think with Huet it's a lot like the Kovalev deal in terms of his want to stay in Montreal. All signs point to Montreal being the perfect place for Huet to reside and play. I mean, how many other cities have French as basically their main language. Not to mention how us, the fans, have come to honor him so quickly.

With Huet, I think he enjoys Montreal and it seems thus far that he can handle the pressure. Then again, he's only seen the fans' good side towards him.

Either way, I doubt that Huet will see the UFA period before being signed. I'm sure the Habs will work out a deal with him before July 1st. Thus, eliminating the chance that we get out-bid. Sure some GM's might be eager to call up his agent and ask him to hold off, but in the end it comes down to where Huet would like to play.

I think with Huet it's a lot like the Kovalev deal in terms of his want to stay in Montreal. All signs point to Montreal being the perfect place for Huet to reside and play. I mean, how many other cities have French as basically their main language. Not to mention how us, the fans, have come to honor him so quickly.

Yeah I agree, I think they'll agree on a one year contract.

But I think Huet probably thinks French Canadian french is horrible.....I've heard actually, french people say its a horrible french to listen to compare to their European French. But they tend to be snobs anyways

Lets not forget that most GM's have very short memories, and don't have problems handing out large contracts. Let look a two examples. Olli Jokinen. Sure he's having a good season, not a great one. This guy has done nothing in his career and Florida just gave him $5 million a season.

You really believe that? Jokinen was a 60 point player in the old NHL and has an outside chance at reaching 90 points this season, you make him out to be a marginal player. Id like to see what you think of the Koivu deal if you think this about the Jokinen deal...

I've heard actually, french people say its a horrible french to listen to compare to their European French. But they tend to be snobs anyways

Merci.

You really believe that? Jokinen was a 60 point player in the old NHL and has an outside chance at reaching 90 points this season, you make him out to be a marginal player. Id like to see what you think of the Koivu deal if you think this about the Jokinen deal...

I've made it known what I think of the Koivu deal. We way overpaid for him. As for Jokinen, the guy is a 0.5 pt per game player for his career. Yes he's having a good year this year, not great. Why is he worth $5 Million next year? No. Maybe in a few years if he records another 90 or 100 point year, yeah then maybe he's a $5 Million dollar player. NOt right now though.

Nope Huet has no shot. Columnist and fans will argue that he probably should, but he won be there when the final bell rings.

Look at the facts:

2003-04 Kipper: 1st in GAA, tied 1st in SV%, only 4 shutouts in 38 gamesin the OLD style NHL

2005-06 Huet: 1st in GAA, 1st in SV%, 7 shutouts in 31 new NHL style games

His numbers are equally impressive as Kipper's, if not moreso given that scoring is up in the NHL. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but he FOR SURE deserves serious consideration if he keeps it up for the final 8 games.

I agree that Huet deserves to be nominated. The argument being that he's done in approx. half a season that took other goalies all year.

Of course, the counter argument would be that if he had actually played the entire season, his numbers may have not been as good.

Personally, I believe he'll get top 3 consideration. Kipprusoff is a fix on the list and probably has the best shot at winning it.

That leaves Huet, Brodeur, & Lundqvist to fight it out for the last few spots.

If the NYR manage to fall out of the top in their division, Lundqvists stock goes down.

Then you have Montreal (Huet) & New Jersey (Brodeur) fighting for 6th in the east. I think the out come of that race will have a lot to do with the teams' respective goaltenders.

If Huet can get about 2 more shutouts, I think he's a shoe-in for the top 3. Though, I don't think he'd get it based on the low amount of games he has played.

I would be shocked if a team didn't offer Huet at least 3M for a 1-year if he hits the free agent market. And given that he is 30, and hasn't made much money in his career, I think he'd have to seriously consider the biggest money offer regardless of how much he might want to stay in Montreal. Bob may be forced to roll the dice and pay Huet big (not huge, but big) money to stay. It's not like we have much in the way of an alternative; Aebischer sucks, and Danis is certainly not ready to be a #1.

I don't know, Huet seems like a pretty down-to-earth kind of guy. Plus, I'm sure no American teams would play the French national anthemn over the loudspeakers, especially not with all the France-hating going on down south of the border.

I would be shocked if a team didn't offer Huet at least 3M for a 1-year if he hits the free agent market. And given that he is 30, and hasn't made much money in his career, I think he'd have to seriously consider the biggest money offer regardless of how much he might want to stay in Montreal. Bob may be forced to roll the dice and pay Huet big (not huge, but big) money to stay. It's not like we have much in the way of an alternative; Aebischer sucks, and Danis is certainly not ready to be a #1.

For some reason I disagree. Huet will stay in Montreal and will make no more than 2.5 million, unless the Habs win the cup or make it to the cup finals. The difference to move your family for 500k or to stay in a city that will worship you is very different. He is so calm cool and collected that I really hope he never gets flustered with the Habs, the city or the Fans.

It's not like we have much in the way of an alternative; Aebischer sucks, and Danis is certainly not ready to be a #1.

Hey were not even sure that Huet is a true number 1. 30 odd games does not make a season. I'm quite sure he's capable of being a number 1, but we won't know till next year.