Julien and Muller fired

Prime Minister Koivu

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It's different 5v5 as well. Absoiutely bizarre.

So, Price has faced CGY, EDM, OTT x2, TOR x4, VAN x3

Allen has faced CGY, EDM x2, OTT x2, VAN x2

The main difference seems to be that Julien put Price in net for all four Toronto games, otherwise almost the same (Allen has one more vs Edmonton, Price one more vs Vancouver). Do the Toronto games alone explain the huge difference in heatmaps, and the gap in save percentage?

Price's sub-.900 games were TOR, VAN, OTT, TOR, TOR, OTT -- three of them against the Leafs. Allen had one against Vancouver.

That is a great call Tom and I think you might be right. 

Leafs are all over the middle and get many slot shots on everyone. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I hope the heat maps above posted correctly because they are really interesting. 

tldr - Most of our shots are point shots yet our opponents shots are coming mostly from the slot 

Tough to win that way

That is not what those charts show.

First chart our 5v5 offence takes a high number of shots in front of the net and points... we dont take mid range.

At 5v5 our defence is very good at keeping shots to the outside.

Our Pp and PK are bad... and are what you describe

But the 5v5 charts show a dominant team.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This is fascinating 🤨 

Price faces significantly tougher shots on PK - Why?

There probably isnt a why.  Its a low sample size and over time would likely equalize.. (which will bring the goalies save percentages closer together)

Hopefully we get the new coach bump. Julien had us playing a good even strength possession game, but our special teams are a disaster. I don't quite see where the fix will come from in that regard, but it can't get much worse.

Every time we have a change in management we're reminded of the paucity of our choices due to our language requirement.  People bringing up Carbo and Hartley, names that haven't been considered elsewhere in the NHL for years.  Vigneault seems to be doing well in Philly, but if things turn south and he gets canned I wouldn't be surprised to see Bergy snap him up immediately much like the recent Julien hire.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Neech said:

Hopefully we get the new coach bump. Julien had us playing a good even strength possession game, but our special teams are a disaster. I don't quite see where the fix will come from in that regard, but it can't get much worse.

Every time we have a change in management we're reminded of the paucity of our choices due to our language requirement.  People bringing up Carbo and Hartley, names that haven't been considered elsewhere in the NHL for years.  Vigneault seems to be doing well in Philly, but if things turn south and he gets canned I wouldn't be surprised to see Bergy snap him up immediately much like the recent Julien hire.  

As much as I like Vigneault, I doubt it happens: he has not won a Stanley cup

An interesting article in the Gazette that I stumbled onto, from 2018 when Ducharme was first hired by the Habs:

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-dominique-ducharme-a-head-coach-in-waiting-with-canadiens/

I particularly liked his quote, about his experience with coaching the Voltigeurs in the QMJHL:

“One of the reasons why we were first in the league in scoring is that we had depth in scoring on those four lines,” Ducharme said about the Voltigeurs. “I think that’s one thing where before you would build a team with two offensive lines, one checking line, one energy line. I think down the lineup, having some scoring abilities is important. And, obviously, in the game it’s giving options to our players, trying to use them within their strength so that they can have success. To me, that’s where it starts.”

That seems a lot like what the Habs need to do ...

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

An interesting article in the Gazette that I stumbled onto, from 2018 when Ducharme was first hired by the Habs:

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-dominique-ducharme-a-head-coach-in-waiting-with-canadiens/

I particularly liked his quote, about his experience with coaching the Voltigeurs in the QMJHL:

That seems a lot like what the Habs need to do ...

He certainly seems to be a great choice for us. I was reading an article from eye on prize website that detailed his coaching in the minors. 

He likes to blender lines to match what is happening in each game. 

He will do things like putting Suzuki on KK wing for O zone faceoffs. Or in general if that centre struggles with say faceoffs. 

He is offensive minded

Huge in game line matcher. 

9 hours ago, Neech said:

Had to look that up!

pau·ci·ty

noun
  1. the presence of something only in small or insufficient quantities or amounts; scarcity.
    "a paucity of information"

20 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He certainly seems to be a great choice for us. I was reading an article from eye on prize website that detailed his coaching in the minors. 

I am much more pleased with this hire than Julien one (who just seemed same old school as has been tried and failed).

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He likes to blender lines to match what is happening in each game. 

He will do things like putting Suzuki on KK wing for O zone faceoffs. Or in general if that centre struggles with say faceoffs. 

He is offensive minded

Huge in game line matcher. 

OK, but it won’t be long before half the fan base is denouncing “Ducharme’s blender” and complaining that players can’t be expected to produce if they are not given the opportunity to “develop chemistry” with linemates. 😉

• Like 1

Over Under Friday February 25, 2022 (trade deadline next season?) on when someone starts the "Fire Ducharme" thread?

===========

I say over, because I think he will do well

EDIT: I'll put this in its own thread

Edited by alfredoh2009
will start new thread for this

33 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Had to look that up!

pau·ci·ty

noun
  1. the presence of something only in small or insufficient quantities or amounts; scarcity.
    "a paucity of information"

I think that's an antonym of plethora! 😀

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

OK, but it won’t be long before half the fan base is denouncing “Ducharme’s blender” and complaining that players can’t be expected to produce if they are not given the opportunity to “develop chemistry” with linemates. 😉

The fan base will always complain, unless there is a parade!

I am waiting with great interest to see his approach. With Therrien, the blender was real and seemingly never-ending. Let's see whether Ducharme has finer-grained control of the blender start button!

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I am waiting with great interest to see his approach. With Therrien, the blender was real and seemingly never-ending. Let's see whether Ducharme has finer-grained control of the blender start button!

I hated Therrien, but there was nothing wrong with the blender (Pat Burns had one), just as there is nothing wrong with leaving lines alone. Teams have success with either approach. All I care about is the Ws.

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

As much as I like Vigneault, I doubt it happens: he has not won a Stanley cup

How many coaches that meet our organization’s requirements have won the Stanley Cup?

Marc Crawford?

I prefer going the grizzled coach route because for me there is too much risk going with a new and unproven coach. We can’t afford to waste years in the NHL.

On the other hand, I am really tired of the recycled coach approach as well. 

I would love and have loved to have been able to test the waters with some of the Hitchckocks, Babcocks, Ruffs, and Trotz’s of the league, amongst many other coaches. 

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

lol this is true and the article did mention the lack of chemistry argument. 

I know that I will be bitching about it for sure. 

The main improvement for me will be a more offensive focus as opposed to CJ’s defend at all costs then attack if possible. That includes the PP where we should see more than cycle the puck to the point

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

There probably isnt a why.  Its a low sample size and over time would likely equalize.. (which will bring the goalies save percentages closer together)

One more post on this ... looking at the save percentages by opponent shows that Price has been fine -- except vs Leafs and Ottawa (very small numbers of games for Calgary and Edmonton):

Team Allen Price
Calgary 93.9% 92.0%
Edmonton 93.0% 97.1%
Ottawa 94.6% 86.9%
Toronto    86.0%
Vancouver 89.3% 87.8%

And, if you reconcile that with the schedule, you'll note that almost all of those Ottawa/Toronto games have been during the slump. And, so, Price's percentage in February is significantly worse than Allen's; in January they were much closer.

Month Allen Price
Jan 92.1% 89.1%
Feb 93.1% 87.7%

Is that a slumping team playing bad defence, particularly against Toronto? Or a team losing confidence in Price? Or some combination?

In the end, no one knows. Let's wait and see what impact Ducharme can have here, too.

I’m happy we aren’t retreading a fired coach - for a while, Habs seemed to find a coach and then they went on to success elsewhere. I’d like it if this time we have found a coach and he is able to find success HERE. 

58 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

How many coaches that meet our organization’s requirements have won the Stanley Cup?

Marc Crawford?

I prefer going the grizzled coach route because for me there is too much risk going with a new and unproven coach. We can’t afford to waste years in the NHL.

On the other hand, I am really tired of the recycled coach approach as well. 

I would love and have loved to have been able to test the waters with some of the Hitchckocks, Babcocks, Ruffs, and Trotz’s of the league, amongst many other coaches. 

Since the Cup became a solely NHL championship (1927) only three coaches (Tommy Gorman, Dick Irvin and Scotty Bowman) have won Cups with two or more teams ... just an interesting tidbit (IMO).

I am not fan of hiring directly out of junior, as I do think there is value in learning how to deal with pros ... similarly for the AHL I feel that there is a sufficient difference in AHL player (most career AHLers or fighting to be bottom of the roster NHLers just thankful for a job) and NHL player attitudes [Therrien an example ... he had QMJHL HC experience and AHL HC experience but had to learn about NHL coaching as a HC].

Ducharme is right in my sweet spot for hiring ... junior success, international success and NHL experience (albeit only 2 seasons) ... as long as a coach meets my "criteria" (HCing success, NHL coaching experience and no previous Stanley Cup - why buck history) then I welcome newbies ... not that I have an issue with an established NHL coach, but my interest declines for each NHL stop they have made ... 

Well that was finally about time for that firing. MB is clearly trying to save his job. The scouting department should be next. MB will be gone at the end of the year if he doesn't make the playoffs. Now if the owners think last year was making the playoffs with the 5th worst record i believe, then he is nuts too. They were awful and needed a pandemic and special rules to get in. 

CJ has missed the playoffs 4 out of the last 6 years, MB i think is the same. They beat the penguins which has lost 10 straight playoff games if i remember correctly. Price was very good. 

Adding tafoli and anderson was great, they are above average players on good teams, leading scorers on the habs. The habs best players with honorable mention to weber, gallagher petry. I like suzuki who is getting there. 

They also need to consider moving danault tatar for a mobile dman to play with Weber, no team in the league would have chariot on the 1st pair. 

Dont know anything about the new coaches but at least it's not a retread, although JM and MT may be available. 

6 hours ago, DON said:

I am much more pleased with this hire than Julien one (who just seemed same old school as has been tried and failed).

Comparing this hiring to the Julien hiring is like comparing the Taffoli signing to the semin or Briere siginings.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We weren’t getting that anyways. I’d rather have someone who just doesn’t default to putting he beat players with Danault, or sending out the old guys, or 4th liners on the shootout.  I want mention Weal on the PP -  oops - sorry!

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

There’s a difference to making changes out of desperation, become you don’t know what the fxck you are doing and making changes based on what the situation warrants.  MT should not have been hired the first time - let alone rehired!  

1 hour ago, DON said:

How so?

The choice of Julien as retread Coach were almost as bad as the signings of has been players.

Taffoli was a great signing and I think DD is a great choice as coach - hopefully it will work out with the interim tag removed.