Game#19 Habs@Jets Feb 25 2021

DON

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Eventually hopefully, but not after 17 games

Agree he shouldn’t be there full time and certainly not log big minutes, but I think he can learn from both a Petry and Weber.  He’s not going to learn much playing only with Mete, Kulak or other marginal 3rd pairing dman.

29 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agree he shouldn’t be there full time and certainly not log big minutes, but I think he can learn from both a Petry and Weber.  He’s not going to learn much playing only with Mete, Kulak or other marginal 3rd pairing dman.

Weber-Chiarot is not working. That much seems clear. Now maybe they will kick into gear under a new coach. But if they don't then for God's sake, put the kid with a seasoned veteran. Preferably Weber, who needs someone who can skate. It's called "putting him in a position to succeed."

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Mete played with Weber and it worked. 

I want Romanov with him mostly to mitigate Weber’s slow speed and I would like Kulak with Petry. 

Chairot is great but he is too slow to make up for Weber’s slowness 

2 years after playing with Weber, Mete is in and out of the lineup.  I’m all for letting Romanov being on the 3rd pair consistently this year and move up when he is ready, not when we want him to be ready.  

I was all on the Romanov train the beginning of the season, he came out looking amazing. Now after taking off my rose coloured glasses, I see he is just ok right now and has potential, but needs time to reach it.  

42 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Mete played with Weber and it worked. 

I want Romanov with him mostly to mitigate Weber’s slow speed and I would like Kulak with Petry. 

Chairot is great but he is too slow to make up for Weber’s slowness 

Mete played with Weber in the midst of a HORRIBLE season in which anything not terrible looked positive (slight exaggeration) 

Romanov should stay on the 3rd pairing but might benefit from dropping Edmundson down and moving Kulak back with Petry and see if the tournament "magic" can be re-kindled.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d like to see Romanov with Petry.  Wasn’t he supposed to be the long lost LD we’ve needed???   

Not as a rookie and you have seen him play, he is a work in progress and is making rookie mistakes, seems a bit lost at times, but all that is to be expected in his 1st year on smaller ice, new country, etc.

He is getting tons of icetime already at 17:42/gm, which seems perfect amount.

10 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

2 years after playing with Weber, Mete is in and out of the lineup ...

Think talent has much more to do with it than any failure in Weber's mentoring

11 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

... I’m all for letting Romanov being on the 3rd pair consistently this year and move up when he is ready, not when we want him to be ready.  

I was all on the Romanov train the beginning of the season, he came out looking amazing. Now after taking off my rose coloured glasses, I see he is just ok right now and has potential, but needs time to reach it.  

I agree he needs to develop at a slower pace on the 3rd pairing ... but, as I said above, might benefit from having Edmundson as a partner and seeing if Kulak and be better with the confidence that Petry might inspire.

4 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I hadn’t realized how good Petry & Edmundson’s +/- was compared to the rest of the team.  Maybe increase their minutes or swap Edmundson and Chiarot to close that gap?

Nope, Edmundson is the potatoes to Petry being the Meat

The bacon to the eggs

The yang to the ying

The unmet-expectations to the Leafs

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think Romanov should be with Weber

Romanov gets big minutes and learns from one of the best 

Weber gets his slow ass covered by a guy that never runs out of energy and is eager as hell 

Kulak and Petry were so good together in the playoffs. 

Agree on that first point but not on Kulak

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

2 years after playing with Weber, Mete is in and out of the lineup.  I’m all for letting Romanov being on the 3rd pair consistently this year and move up when he is ready, not when we want him to be ready.  

agree on this too, but I think that Romanov with Weber would develop as well or better than PK with Mr Hall Gill 

Romanov seems to have more potential than Mete.

similar skating skill

better shot

better frame/size

able to play in physical games

time will tell

Edited by alfredoh2009
Typo

28 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

So if nothing changes at what point do we change the core group of players?

Maybe after the season ... but it is always hard to make big changes in-season and even more so with Covid borders impacting the 24 US teams ... and it may be a new GM making the changes if it comes to that

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'd play

Kulak - Petry

Mete - Weber
Chiarot - Romanov

and sit Edmundson

I like the other changes, but I have zero faith in Mete at this point.  He is truly the 7th D in this group.  He is faster than the rest, but in every other facet of his game, so far this season, he is the worse of the 7 defenceman. 

29 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Agree on that first point but not on Kulak

Why not with Petry?

He will likely end up logging the most icetime of any Hab d-man, as he did last year.

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

I like the other changes, but I have zero faith in Mete at this point.  He is truly the 7th D in this group.  He is faster than the rest, but in every other facet of his game, so far this season, he is the worse of the 7 defenceman. 

I like Romanov on the right better than Mete on the right, and we need at least one skater on each pair. 

I think Mete has been better than Edmundson this season.

Just now, Commandant said:

I like Romanov on the right better than Mete on the right, and we need at least one skater on each pair. 

I think Mete has been better than Edmundson this season.

That +/- he has seems confusing, i think he has looked bad often. But, havent scrutinized his play, so maybe Edmundson is better than i think.

1 minute ago, DON said:

Why not with Petry?

He will likely end up logging the most icetime of any Hab d-man, as he did last year.

Kulak like Chiarot are good D but they seem to have a limit on how much workload they can take. Maybe near the end of the season when thay are performing at their peak Kulak would be fine, but not at this moment.

Edmundson is not impressive in anyway, but he is not an boat anchor neither. One of his strengths is being able to play a lot of minutes and since he is a stay at home D he complements Petry well. My $0.02

4 minutes ago, DON said:

That +/- he has seems confusing, i think he has looked bad often. But, havent scrutinized his play, so maybe Edmundson is better than i think.

For a defenceman like Edmundson, he will never be a highlight reel guy.  If you don't notice him, he is doing a good job.  Most nights nobody notices him.  I believe that is credit to him and explains his +/-.

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It seems like they are playing with more urgency and aggression ... or am I just imagining things?

They seem to be playing with energy and I like how they are supporting each other in all zones

Now if they can only score first

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Can't tell in the first game alone give it about a week to see if things really have change 

Oh, it was the first 10 minutes of the first period of the first game. Just my first impression!