Game#19 Habs@Jets Feb 25 2021

DON

I think now that we have a “good coach” things will begin to normalize, and we will be better at home than on the road.

6-1-4 away from the barn

Well another loss. First regulation road loss this season. This heater skelter hockey might look good but it won’t work in this division. They don’t have the firepower the other teams have. No system and leaky Price spells no playoffs. Enjoy cashing your cheques CJ, real hockey people know where the problem is with this team. 

9 minutes ago, titanfan said:

Carey Price IS a Problem!

Sit him until he doesn't just waive his NO TRADE CLUSE - he demands a trade.  He is embarrassing himself and an anchor to the team.  And I am/was a huge Carey Price fan.  This is just sad.

Totally agree. 

Cucumber made a good point about replacing Waite.  His days as Price-whisperer are long over.  I don't believe it's entirely his fault, as Allen has been fine so far, but he's clearly not getting through and making a difference.  Price's technique has been so sloppy this season and his focus is lacking.  If a different voice can help the team maybe a new one can work on the goalie too.

Well that went sideways pretty fast. Going to take a lot of work for the new coaching staff to turn things around. I might have to stay away from this forum to avoid all the trade Price trends that will be poping up.

When we were retooling I said we needed to trade Weber and Price because we're not building a team around them to help them win. But now Bergevin has and you can't trade them now because you're in a win now. If Bergevin gets fired then I can see them trading him and going in a different direction. But as long as Bergevin is gm Price and Weber WONT be going anywhere. This year might be a wash for a new coaching system to be affective. So hopefully things can turn around.

I might have to photoshop my avatar to The Price is Wrong. I haven't felt this insecure about Price for probably a decade, every shot has a chance to go in now. And what the hell is the deal with changing pads and masks every game? Is the long hair throwing off his balance? Are his kids like mine and are up all night while he tries to sleep? Regardless, he needs to find his game because otherwise this team isn't going anywhere 

7 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

When we were retooling I said we needed to trade Weber and Price because we're not building a team around them to help them win. But now Bergevin has and you can't trade them now because you're in a win now. If Bergevin gets fired then I can see them trading him and going in a different direction. But as long as Bergevin is gm Price and Weber WONT be going anywhere. This year might be a wash for a new coaching system to be affective. So hopefully things can turn around.

More importantly, we needed to trade them when they were playing well and actually had value. Right now they both have albatross contracts.

For me, the saddest part about this game is that even with the 2-0 and 3-1 leads, I had no confidence at all in the Habs winning this one.  It's not very often I get that feeling and within the first few minutes of the game, it was there.  There are significant flaws to be fixed and with a condensed schedule, they're going to have to try to fix them through Zoom meetings.  That's a tough ask of Ducharme.

3 minutes ago, Neech said:

More importantly, we needed to trade them when they were playing well and actually had value. Right now they both have albatross contracts.

Price isn’t going anywhere unless he decides he wants to leave, regardless of the contract. Then again, maybe he will decide that if he’s not getting the starts.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Price isn’t going anywhere unless he decides he wants to leave, regardless of the contract. Then again, maybe he will decide that if he’s not getting the starts.

Agreed... like it or not we are stuck with him so they better figure out how to get his groove back...

1 hour ago, zumpano21 said:

Have to admit - that one kind of hurt. There was a lot of expectation heading into this game (much like this season).

With the offseason moves, I had that optimism after the Halak run and with Maxpac and Subban in the pipeline.  I knew the D would still be an issue, but with improved offense, a better backup for price and price’s players in the play-in, I thought goaltending, offense, and the new Canadian division where every team has a weakness, would give us a chance at the final 4.  But now with the way Price is playing, it looks like the usual hot start and than quick crash and burn.  There is not much runway to get back on track and we are no once again a bubble team, unless the new coaching staff drastically improve the special teams, AND either Price gets his shit together, or Allen is able to be a viable #1 for the entire season.

Connor McKenna on TSN 690 mentionnes that Price’s situation reminds him of Luongo in Vancouver in 2013

That is a very good point . Having Burroughs with the team may help Dom navigate the situation better

The two most relied upon pillars of our core, Price and Weber, are playing well below expectations. 

Our coach needs to recognize that and deal with it. 

Weber must have his ice time managed and he needs easier minutes. He is currently a liability. 

Price needs to sit and work with trainers. 

DD we need to see your large testicles 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Connor McKenna on TSN 690 mentionnes that Price’s situation reminds him of Luongo in Vancouver in 2013

I think he's reading the Athletic! This is from the article Arpon posted last night:

Whenever I think of Price’s situation on the Canadiens, I think of Roberto Luongo. Back in 2013, relegated to backup duty for the Vancouver Canucks, Luongo was hoping to be traded at the deadline. It was a season-long drama that dominated the discourse around that team. Ultimately, it didn’t happen. The trade deadline came and went and Luongo was still in Vancouver. His disappointment was evident that day, and he said something that was funny to hear but was revealing in how these contracts can weigh on a player when things aren’t going well.

“My contract sucks. That’s what the problem is,” Luongo said. “Unfortunately, it’s a big factor in trading me and it’s probably why I’m still here.”

Luongo later added, “I’d scrap (the contract) if I could right now.”

I think this is what the Canadiens need to do with Price. No, not literally scrap the contract, because they can’t do that. But they should scrap it in their minds. Stop allowing it to dictate how Price is used, how often he gets the net. The Canadiens, for the first time in years, have a viable option behind Price. Play Allen as the starter for a while and see what happens. Make Price earn the net back in practice and the spot starts he would receive as the backup. If Allen goes on a hot streak, ride him.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think he's reading the Athletic! This is from the article Arpon posted last night:

I guess you are right!

I posted Lou’s media scrum on the Price thread 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That is a very good point . Having Burroughs with the team may help Dom navigate the situation better

Actually there isn’t much of a parallel. Vancouver announced to the world that they were looking to trade Luongo, then didn’t. So he was stuck on a team that had subjected him to the anxiety and humiliation of publicly shopping him around and telling them they didn’t want him. Then Torterella took over and the club became a gong-show, culminating in his bizarre decision not to play Luongo in the outdoor game, a complete slap in the face, considering that the alternatives were not playing better than him at all.

By contrast, the Habs have been nothing but loyal and solicitous of Carey Price. He is treated like a king. Everyone defers to him. He has had three mediocre years with no change in this. We have tolerated garbage play from him for most of the year without given Allen the reins. That’s basically the opposite of the Vancouver-Luongo denouement.

Why did the Habs collapse in the second half last night? I suspect a lot of it has to do with the fact that the players did not have confidence in Price’s ability to bar the door. Once Winnipeg lit the lamp, the belief just drained out of the group. That’s what happens when you do not trust your goalie to make a save. 

That is an epochal change of mindset for this team. The rock upon which the team is built turns out to be a sieve. Very, very bad.