Game#19 Habs@Jets Feb 25 2021

DON

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Actually there isn’t much of a parallel. Vancouver announced to the world that they were looking to trade Luongo, then didn’t. So he was stuck on a team that had subjected him to the anxiety and humiliation of publicly shopping him around and telling them they didn’t want him. Then Torterella took over and the club became a gong-show, culminating in his bizarre decision not to play Luongo in the outdoor game, a complete slap in the face, considering that the alternatives were not playing better than him at all.

By contrast, the Habs have been nothing but loyal and solicitous of Carey Price. He is treated like a king. Everyone defers to him. He has had three mediocre years with no change in this. We have tolerated garbage play from him for most of the year without given Allen the reins. That’s basically the opposite of the Vancouver-Luongo denouement.

Why did the Habs collapse in the second half last night? I suspect a lot of it has to do with the fact that the players did not have confidence in Price’s ability to bar the door. Once Winnipeg lit the lamp, the belief just drained out of the group. That’s what happens when you do not trust your goalie to make a save. 

That is an epochal change of mindset for this team. The rock upon which the team is built turns out to be a sieve. Very, very bad.

Yeah we were competing well until Price let in the garbage 4th goal then things fell apart. 

I hope DD does what he needs to

I also have this feeling that a trade is coming. That might be a centre to take KK spot (KK to Laval) or more likely a replacement for Kulak 

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... I also have this feeling that a trade is coming. That might be a centre to take KK spot (KK to Laval) or more likely a replacement for Kulak 

But unless it is with a Scotia-North Division team the Habs will be without the traded player and the traded-for player for two weeks ... with the traded-for player on the cap (as I understand it) ... and not certain Ottawa or Vancouver (likely the only sellers at this point) will trade anyone the Habs (and us) want ... unless we are talking BLOCKBUSTER ... and I don't see that in-season.

I didn’t see KK sucking last night (?). Not sure what the point of sending him down would be. 

The Price Problem is potentially organization-destroying. We have him for 5 more years on a stratospheric cap hit. He HAS to provide strong, legitimate #1G goaltending. If he doesn’t find a way to do that pretty soon, then the only hope for the team (and Bergevin) is that he decides to salvage his dignity and retire.

What this really reminds me of is the Jose Theodore meltdown - a very similar scenario, cap-wise and in terms of the chasm between past and present performance. 

Of course, we’re not there yet; there is still time to turn this around. But if Price turns in one more stinker of a performance, and Allen continues to play great, then I don’t think the team has any choice but to give Allen the keys, at least for a while.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I didn’t see KK sucking last night (?). Not sure what the point of sending him down would be. 

The Price Problem is potentially organization-destroying. We have him for 5 more years on a stratospheric cap hit. He HAS to provide strong, legitimate #1G goaltending. If he doesn’t find a way to do that pretty soon, then the only hope for the team (and Bergevin) is that he decides to salvage his dignity and retire.

What this really reminds me of is the Jose Theodore meltdown - a very similar scenario, cap-wise and in terms of the chasm between past and present performance. 

Of course, we’re not there yet; there is still time to turn this around. But if Price turns in one more stinker of a performance, and Allen continues to play great, then I don’t think the team has any choice but to give Allen the keys, at least for a while.

I thought KK looked very poor last night despite his nice pass on the PP

I also thought he was poor in Ottawa 

Am I alone thinking KK is struggling?

21 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I saw the same with my Mr Potato Head eyes 👀

41 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I saw the same with my Mr Potato Head eyes 👀

I agree ... KK shows flashes of his potential, and has added physicality, but overall not performing as hoped after his tournament play

46 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I didn't get the KK comment at all.

As far as Price, I said when he was drafted and signed to his last contract.  I don't believe any goaltender should be picked with a top 10 pick.  Now, i'd even say not even in the top 20.  Too hard to project goalies and there are a lot of really good goalies drafted in the second to fourth round on a CONSISTENT basis.  Much harder toconsistently find elite centres or DMen later in the draft.  Being in Calgary, I still remember the Flames trading up to Draft Trevor Kidd, and the Devils using the later pick to draft Brodeur. 

While Price has proved he is a generational goalie that was worthy of the #5 overall pick used on him and has a Hart and a couple of Vezina's to back up his draft pedigree. The following goalies drafted after him won the cup and are vezina winners: Rask, Quick, while Bishop took his team to the finals and has been a Vezina finalists many times. They all played on better teams than him - but that brings us to the Salary question.

None of those players salary is anywhere near as Price's cap hit. Is it worth spending $10M+ on a goalie??  The too that are getting have certainly to earned their contracts.  There are a lot of very good to excellent goalies in the $4M to $8M range and none of them are the highest paid players on their teams.  Just because you HAVE the cap space, doesn't mean you need to spend it on a position that has proven that you NEED to pay that high of a salary.

I still hope Price gets his shit together, because like i said at the start of this year,. with our pickups on offence, a solid backup and more importantly, the realignment this year. this is our best chance to get into the final 4. But Price should be on a VERY short leash.

I have a dog, and when I use a short leash with him it is to make him pay attention to my commands or to correct a behaviour problem.

Price’s problem is mental but requires an approach a bit more sophisticated than a short leash 

For the sake of the Habs playoff run chances this season: the coaching team need to work with Price work through this current situation

With Allen on the roaster, we can go with him while he is hot 

But beyond that, I think the team is moving in the right

direction 

Price's decline has been consistent since being hurt in NYR series... Everyone can say what they will but the stats show he's been bad far more then hes been great. Sure he's had some stretches where he's been Carey Hart Trophy Price but those games are few and far... Yes he was really good in the playoffs LY but end of the day, he got out dueled by Hart.

Is the demise of Price organization-destroying? It is if Primeau cant play over his read through the rest of Prices contract.

Driedger has out performed Brobovsky and FLA has gone with driedg... dont tell me Mtl cant do the same with Allen in short term...

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

I'm worried about Price. I don't like what i'm seeing from him!

Agreed ... and its not just the goals that he lets in ... he just doesn't "look right"

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... KK shows flashes of his potential, and has added physicality, but overall not performing as hoped after his tournament play

Same goes for Suzuki as well: neither one has been performing (this month) where we expect them to be. And Romanov doesn't look as good as he did in January, either. But at least for now, I have confidence that Ducharme can work with our young players and up their level of play. It's not time for a panic trade -- not that we have the cap space for that anyway.

The bigger, older D may be a bigger challenge. And then there is goaltending ...

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... The bigger, older D may be a bigger challenge ...

DD can try switching pairings, but I think the best that can be done in the near term with the current roster (absent sending Romanov through a time machine to accelerate his development) is to focus on increasing puck possession and extending their time in the offensive zone ... it would lighten the pressure on the D as when the puck does get into the Habs defensive zone the opposition will often be using it as an opportunity to change lines, not press the D.

18th PP 

22nd PK

If can improve special teams play it would do a world of good, no matter who is in net.

And the huge pile of penalties due to undisciplined plays has to addressed.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Forwards from today’s practice 

Poor KK 

Why ...  he has the Canadiens hottest goal scorer ... 

;)

27 minutes ago, DON said:

18th PP 

22nd PK

If can improve special teams play it would do a world of good, no matter who is in net.

And the huge pile of penalties due to undisciplined plays has to addressed.

We do lead the league in something: net penalties. We have taken 92 and drawn 75 for a net total of -17. Caps are -12 and Bruins, Sharks and Canucks are at -10. Blues are -9 and everyone else is -6 or better. (Sabres are +17!)

At our current PP performance, that -17 equates to about four extra PP goals against us. That is actually a much bigger difference than the PK (we're at 76.3% vs league median of 79.7%: at 76 penalty kills, that's about two extra PP goals against us). And it should be easier to fix, too.

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Forwards from today’s practice 

Corey Perry on a "maintenance day" ?

Why had Petry made such boneheaded plays this week? Causing big goals against for lazy attempts to clear the puck and in the 1st period yesterday the Habs were guilty of a dozen cute little blind passes easily picked off by the Jets.

Do the Habs skaters actually think they are that good that they can play fast and loose in own end.

Weber on one goal was about 2 feet away from d-partner while his lane was wide open for an easy goal against. Has he taken one too many hits to head or something?

When Petry and Weber are playing defense like that, good luck winning any games.

46 minutes ago, DON said:

Why had Petry made such boneheaded plays this week? Causing big goals against for lazy attempts to clear the puck and in the 1st period yesterday the Habs were guilty of a dozen cute little blind passes easily picked off by the Jets.

He has a couple of these stretches every year.  Things usually go from really well to really bad in a hurry with him for some reason.  He also always snaps out of it eventually.