When Does Dominique Ducharme Get Fired?

Commandant

After Bergevin gets fired ... whatever YY/MM/DD that is ... I think that DD is MB's last hire, unless this leads to a Cup or a string of deep playoff runs ... in which case MB gets one more bullet in his coaching holster. 

Tonight (joking)? Like I said many times. Julien is a only part of the problem. Need to address the D, the PK and Price has to start making big saves when they are needed.

I will be very curious to see how Ducharme handles the Price Problem. It is an absolute bomb for a coach, especially a new coach. 

If he starts playing Allen more, he risks getting Price mad at him. And if Price turns on him, the entire room may well follow, since Price is Alpha Male #1 in that room. In which case, Ducharme will be gone at year’s end.

If he keeps playing Price and Price does not improve, then the team spirals like it did in 2012. In which case, Ducharme will likely be gone at year’s end.

I wonder if Ducharme should have meetings with each player individually. The REAL aim of such meetings could be to suss out how the leadership group (especially Weber and Gally) feel about Price’s play and whether they would support the coach in going with Allen for a while. Of course, you don’t say this out loud, but like a lot of tricky “leadership” conversations, that would be the intent. If the prestige vets on the team are prepared to side with you over a possibly-PO’d Price, then you give Carey one more game to stop playing like Andre Racicot, and then flip over to Allen as the go-to “so that Carey can work on a few things in his game.”

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I wonder if Ducharme should have meetings with each player individually. The REAL aim of such meetings could be to suss out how the leadership group (especially Weber and Gally) feel about Price’s play and whether they would support the coach in going with Allen for a while ...

I think the meetings would be a good regardless ... no reason to focus on Price ... but it would have to be part

Most important might be a frank discussion with Carey to see what he feels he needs to get his <<stuff>> together

16 minutes ago, Pino10 said:

So true and judging by last night, I say and hope we have a new GM, new coaching staff and new scouting staff in place by the start of next year. 

Dude. It's one game.

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this, but this is an interesting analysis: 

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/by-the-numbers-canadiens-identity-a-riddle-wrapped-in-an-enigma?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1614423946

Basically, the Habs are extraordinarily good, league-beatingly good, 5-on-5, and absolutely horrible on special teams. What is so frustrating is that, despite this fact, we draw THE highest proportion of penalties of any team. We are playing into our own greatest weaknesses every time we take a dumb penalty. Which is what Habs29 was afraid of all along with this group.

(I can’t resist adding, though, that our identity as the league’s most disproportionately penalized team aligns worrisomely with the preposterous Gallagher disallowed goal against Ottawa, along with the permissive attitude toward multiple headshots against our players. Knowing how the NHL works - “justice” being defined by arbitrary preferences about players, coaches/managers, and owners - I think it is reasonable to ask whether there is indeed a bias against this team at the level of officiating and NHL discipline).

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Basically, the Habs are extraordinarily good, league-beatingly good, 5-on-5, and absolutely horrible on special teams. What is so frustrating is that, despite this fact, we draw THE highest proportion of penalties of any team. We are playing into our own greatest weaknesses every time we take a dumb penalty. Which is what Habs29 was afraid of all along with this group ...

You don't want too many cooks in the kitchen but there is no limit on consultants ... there must be some experienced PK and PP "savants" out there that could offer some suggestions for the coaches to consider ... or ... is it really just the players that can't/won't execute

I have to say I’m not impressed with DD so far. 

To me he is simply trying to be Julien. 

Same absurd defensive posture in OT. Who starts overtime with defensive players? Try to win ffs

If Danault can no longer play an offensive role like Gomez why the hell do we keep using him that way?

KK dangerous, pair him with defensive players, Danault not dangerous, pair him with offensive players!

That is dumb 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Four days really isn’t enough to change the way a team plays.

True

it is plenty of time though to stop putting out a defensive line in overtime. 

Every other team puts out speed and scoring power. 

We put out Danault, Armia, Petry 

Are you frigging kidding me? That is Julien 101

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

True

it is plenty of time though to stop putting out a defensive line in overtime. 
Every other team puts out speed and scoring power. 
We put out Danault, Armia, Petry 

Are you frigging kidding me? That is Julien 101

True ... if the opposition starting three forwards is a concern then start KK or Suzuki with your two best skating defencemen (Petry and Romanov) ... then switch to a more normal alignment ... but I see njo reason for Danault to be out in O/T ... except perhaps a D-zone face-off

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Frankly screw the faceoff

Suzuki - KK - Anderson/Toffoli 

Speed and power to end it now

Possession is super important at 3-on-3 so you can't just ignore the faceoff.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Is the difference of 5% so important that you play Gomez instead of Suzuki?

Stop trying to tie and GO SCORE 

It's about a 9% difference in their average, season to date, between Danault and Suzuki.

That translates to 53/100 probability Danault wins vs 44/100 probability Suzuki wins. So, the Habs would be 20% more likely to gain initial possession and have the first chance to score. Three on three, and only five minutes, it's big. If you win the faceoff, you can do a quick change (they did not do it yesterday).

This, and the offensive-zone faceoffs on PP, is why we need to improve the kids' faceoff skills.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It's about a 9% difference in their average, season to date, between Danault and Suzuki.

That translates to 53/100 probability Danault wins vs 44/100 probability Suzuki wins. So, the Habs would be 20% more likely to gain initial possession and have the first chance to score. Three on three, and only five minutes, it's big. If you win the faceoff, you can do a quick change (they did not do it yesterday).

This, and the offensive-zone faceoffs on PP, is why we need to improve the kids' faceoff skills.

That was clearly the intention but they lost then 3 average speed players are up against 3 beastly forwards. 

Every team comes with power we don’t