When Does Dominique Ducharme Get Fired?

Commandant

On 3/2/2021 at 12:07 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The idea would be to play Tatar and Gallagher lots but with KK so that we can possibly score some goals. 

Danault’s amazing 5 on 5 play is not winning us any games and helped us to finish near the bottom of the league last year. 

We need to score and Danault playing first line minutes with 0 goals is not a winning recipe 

I agree.  A slow 37 year old spezza now has almost double the points as our supposed 1st line centre. No way should Danault be playing first line minutes. Use him on key defensive zone faceoffs, but let him play with shutdown wingers, but let him earn his ice time.

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree.  A slow 37 year old spezza now has almost double the points as our supposed 1st line centre. 

Holy cherry picking Batman.

Top Hab is 34th in scoring and is a d-man, so basically same ol as past 40 years, no top NHL forwards on the Habs.

It is becoming clear to me that the coaching staff was not ready for the season as expected by MB after teh additions from the off season.

Most of the core players were performing sub-par in February.

Other teams are doing better and there are multiple examples of lines on other teams outperforming ours

===

What I would like to know is how Dom is planning to take the Habs out of this situation and bring them to deliver on expectations.

We saw some encouraging signs in the last few games. They will be at the 1/2 point of the season after the games with Winnipeg. I think that by that time we should be able to tell if the coaching changes were positive or not

2 hours ago, DON said:

Holy cherry picking Batman.

Top Hab is 34th in scoring and is a d-man, so basically same ol as past 40 years, no top NHL forwards on the Habs.

There’s a difference between not having a too forward and not even having a centre that isnt producing more than the laffs third line centre.  

Suzuki SHOULD finish ahead of Spezza. But right now it really sucks looking at our production at centre.  I’m just glad that Danault turned down the reported contract offer - assuming the reported offer was accurate.

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Our centre production is awful and goal production is awful for the entire team. If it weren’t for the hot start this teams scoring would be laughable. 

We genuinely need to fix this. 

Yes. Danault hasn't been scoring, and both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are well below their play in last fall's postseason.

The only centre that has exceeded (my) expectations so far is Evans. He's not scoring, but as a young 4C, I'm not expecting that so much, either, some of that will come with time.

Suzuki is on roughly a 60-point pace pro-rated for 82 games. I'm not sure how anyone could have expected more from a second-year kid; and if they did expect more, they were just doing what so many fans always do, leap to ridiculous assumptions about kids who have never done anything.

KK is on a 38-point pro-rated pace, which is too low IF we expect him to be the #2 guy. But then again, what did we expect? That a kid who had a 8 points in 36 games and got sent down last season was suddenly going to erupt into a star? Even in the bubble he had 4 points in 10 games, not exactly world-beating offensive totals. (Admittedly, four of those were goals).

Besides, both have looked fairly good this season, at least to my inexpert eye. I feel that KK started slowly but has been rounding into form, gradually growing more dangerous in the O-zone and looking more confident. Suzuki reliably makes plays and has clearly established himself as a legit top-6 C in the NHL. Those are reasonable returns on young players handed big roles in a high-pressure environment.

The real problem is Danault. Not only are his numbers down, not only has he not scored a goal in a year, but he doesn't look particularly dangerous either. His offensive suckage puts added pressure (and checkers) on the other two. Thank GOD we didn't give him a huge contract; he is looking like little more than a glorified Brandon Sutter who tried to cash in on a couple of comparatively strong seasons offensive seasons.

The Danault line still has strong possession numbers... 6th in the NHL last i looked.  That line should come around if they keep getting chances in the offensive zone.

There is no reason to believe the line just stopped knowing how to score and every reason to think its just a run of bad luck.

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The Danault line still has strong possession numbers... 6th in the NHL last i looked.  That line should come around if they keep getting chances in the offensive zone.

There is no reason to believe the line just stopped knowing how to score and every reason to think its just a run of bad luck.

I am no Danault defender but this can be said for the whole team. Take out those first 10 games and our production is woeful. 

Although it looks like our PP is ready to contribute and that won us last game. 

We play great against everyone but can’t score

30 minutes ago, Commandant said:

the multiple PKs a game and the fleury of PPs in the first games may have made it difficult for the Danault line to find rythm

But I found Gallagher to have had a slow stat and Tatar a worse one

since the by-week they have been playing better and I expect them to be better and more consistent 

6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

the multiple PKs a game and the fleury of PPs in the first games may have made it difficult for the Danault line to find rythm

But I found Gallagher to have had a slow stat and Tatar a worse one

since the by-week they have been playing better and I expect them to be better and more consistent 

We need it so I hope it starts tonight. 

20 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I am no Danault defender but this can be said for the whole team. Take out those first 10 games and our production is woeful. 

Although it looks like our PP is ready to contribute and that won us last game. 

We play great against everyone but can’t score

To be fair, take any team's 10 best games of the season and their production will most likely be "woeful".

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Picking 10 games is very different than the first 10 games together to start a season. 

OK,

Habs are 8-2-2 minus the last 10 games.

So they were very good for 12gms.

5 hours ago, Pino10 said:

Hopefully at the end of this season with Bergevin. 

Sounds dandy, fire a GM who just won the cup.:D

Who do you have in mind as an upgrade. Or plan is, just fire him and worry about picking from that deep list of guys that fit the bill after? 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There are only 2 coaches that would start the team’s third line centre with a fourth line winger in OT...Julien and Ducharme. 

I continue to not like this new coach - the stink of Julien is strong on him. 

I like him, he reminds me of “the Dude” when he gives his interviews 

He shortens the bench, makes in-game adjustments, seems to  have a good handle on the players and seems to have a god conviction/confidence on his decision 

He has the team playing better 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like him, he reminds me of “the Dude” when he gives his interviews 

He shortens the bench, makes in-game adjustments, seems to  have a good handle on the players and seems to have a god conviction/confidence on his decision 

He has the team playing better 

We continue to play like a bubble team. One amazing game followed by a weak effort (not that last night was a weak effort). Our record has not improved and we continue to start OT with garbage. 

I expect more with this roster

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We continue to play like a bubble team. One amazing game followed by a weak effort (not that last night was a weak effort). Our record has not improved and we continue to start OT with garbage. 

I expect more with this roster

The coaching job is being fm done, there is improvement although the rate of improvement is not exponential but fairly linear and low

At least it is not negative

On the other hand, only 3/4 of his team is executing. The loses are on the players 

Julien in January:

• 5-1-2
  • 4.1 FG, 2.8 GA

Julien in February:

• 4-4-2
  • 2.8 GF, 3.0 GA

Ducharme:

• 4-3-4
  • 2.9 GF, 2.5 GA

The wins are not rolling in for Ducharme yet, to be sure. But GAA is down from 3.0 to 2.5, which is is significant. In spite of the modest improvement in the winning record, I still see positives in what he is doing. We had four OT/SO losses since he took over, but we were within a goal of winning every one of those. The gap is not so huge.