Markov 3 day suspension

Haboholic

for what????? does anyone actually think he deserves a suspension for what he did? like come on..

take our best dman away from us when were in a slide...and have to play the best team in the league. Just curious, but 2 yrs ago sundin through a broken stick into the crowd, did he only get a game?

In my opnion those refs should be fired for the crap they pull on saturday night........I'm really proud of Markov, he knew what the refs were doing was wrong and he stood up for his team mates......if I was on the ice I would have done the same thing.

Shoving an official is simpyl idiotic. I don't care that the official deserved it, but you don't respond by shoving the ref. It's just stupid. And if I'm right, he didn't even shove a ref, but a linesman.

Sure, the refs screwed up, but that doesn't excuse Markov.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Remember when Cujo did it in the 00 playoffs vs Ottawa? He wasn't suspended.  

All I can say about Markov is this, he shoulda hit him harder.

HA! nice try. he slipped on the ice and took the ref out. there was no way it was intentional.

Not surprised. Making contact with a ref will always get you a suspension. Not saying that the ref didn't deserve it, but Markov should know better than that.

Personally, I'm glad it's only 3 games. Gordie Dwyer got 23 games for abusing an official, Tom Lysiak got 20, André Roy fot 13 games in 2002 and the Rocket famously got 15 in 1955. I was expecting 5-7, but hoping for 2-3.

Sucks that those games are against Ottawa, Buffalo and LA, though. Not the easiest schedule.

Originally posted by les_glorieux

HA! nice try. he slipped on the ice and took the ref out. there was no way it was intentional.

Thats how markov should have done it. Take the Ref out, but on a way it seems like you couldnt help it :D

Question - if we appealed, would Markov be eligible to play against until the the appeal is heard? Because then he could probably play against Ottawa. Losing Markov for any 3 games is a disaster, but losing him for the Ottawa game is pretty much worse case scenario...

Originally posted by les_glorieux

Slipped? He can't skate, he's a goof. Either way, players have gotten disiplined before for "accidential" bumping the offical. Joseph was no different.

I'm not sure if he can appeal. Even if he can, since there appears to be no video on the incident, the league will side with the official. It's too bad this was spawned by a bad call, but Markov should have known better than to grab/shove the official. Swear at the guy in Russian until you're hoarse, but you can't touch the guy without repercussion. It's too bad this has happened, because at a time when the team is struggling, they really need him. I guess Mark Streit is going to have to play, and get some decent ice time, because Julien would be mad to give all the ice time to 5 defenceman for 3 straight games.

Originally posted by option+

Question - if we appealed, would Markov be eligible to play against until the the appeal is heard?  Because then he could probably play against Ottawa.  Losing Markov for any 3 games is a disaster, but losing him for the Ottawa game is pretty much worse case scenario...

From Sportnet:

Andrei Markov suspended three games by NHL for shoving linesman

posted November 28 @ 13:29, EST

MONTREAL (CP) - Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov has been suspended for three games for shoving a linesman.

The incident was written up in the referees' report of a game Saturday in Toronto where the Maple Leafs won 4-3 on a power-play goal in overtime. Markov's offence took place after the game-ending goal. Under the rules, an automatic three-game ban applies and Markov has the right to appeal.

The Canadiens' next game is Tuesday in Ottawa.

Automatic 3 game

What the habs really need is to upgrade the defensive core. They are average at best. If that means calling people up, fine. If it means making trades even better, this core group of defense has been average for years.

Untouchables are Komi, Dandy (4 year deal) and Markov.

Try to trade the rest. I'm sure i'll hear about this but it's an easy scapegoat to blame everything on the goalies. Look at the majority of goals scored this year, slam dunks. Theo has been poor and average several times this year but the defense is poor.

Rivet: Playing better but is back to his old form, losing 1 on 1 battles, turning the puck over. The last time he played well was his contract year, i think he is in another contract year. Time for him to move on.

Souray: i have no idea what he is doing this year, if it's his personal life nothing but time will fix it. the only D with any trade value. Misses the net way too often, loses 1 on1 battles and is very slow.

Bouillon: A #7 d-man on any other team in the NHL, he has been waived by 2 other teams. He does work hard and is tough against the boards. Other then that he has average speed, passing shot and is rerally bad 1 on1 in front of the net.

The D needs a tough stay at home d-man to play with Markov. A good skater and passer to play with Komi, and a good 2 way D to play with Dandy. Then we will see how the goaltending is. This team will never go anywhere with the current D.

No way we move Bouillon, or Rivet. Rivet is playing better than 80% of D-men in the NHL. I don't care if he is in a contract year, moving a guy playing at that level is lunacy. Yes, I agree he's been playing worse lately, but so has the entire team. It's not like Rivet is the one holding us back.

Same goes for Bouillon. Yeah, he's been waived in the past, that was the "old NHL" where a defenceman's worth was judged by how much they clutched and grabbed. Bouillon is finally playing in a league where his abilities are considered assets.

I think we're one #2 D-man away from having a really solid blueline. Then Rivet doesn't have to be a #2; Bouillon doesn't have to be a #3... and Streit doesn't have to play.

I wouln't move Bouillon. What he gives for what he is paid is extremely valuable. Rivet has been playing well, but is tradeable (performence in link with salary). Great value players (like Bouillon) are a pearl in this new CBA.

Markov should not have touched the linesman it shows bad discipline. But since he did I wish he had got his moneys worth and gone after Pollak not a linesman. The linesman who he should have gone after was the one who made the 2 many men on the ice penalty 2 games again against the leafs.