March 2 Sens @ Habs 7:00

Ugh....Price beaten clean on a wrist shot from that Ottawa defenceman.   I was starting to think he was playing well, then he let's in another banana goal. 

13 minutes ago, habscout said:

Ugh....Price beaten clean on a wrist shot from that Ottawa defenceman.   I was starting to think he was playing well, then he let's in another banana goal. 

I wouldn't call that a soft goal; Zub walked right in and had all day to shoot it.  Perfect placement on the shot...MAYBE Price gets it if he comes out a bit more and has the angle cut better, but it's a reasonable one to give up.

40 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is certainly truth here. KK is not ripping it up either but he does look dangerous at times. 

All I know is this team has had trouble scoring for a while. So why not try this simple swap?

For most coaches, if you were to ask who is going to provide a bigger impact in a winning effort, the answer more often than not is going to be Danault with his defensive game.  It's the conservative play but when you're just starting as a head coach, the inclination may be there to play it safe.

Personally, I think they're waiting until later in the season to try a move like that, one that will also be around the same time they move Romanov up.  That's not a move you want to do early (risking burnout like what happened to Suzuki last season) so the safer play is to keep that in the bag of tricks for a bit.

34 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm sorta concerned that DD might not be any different than CJ, who wasnt much different than JM or MT.   

He's worked under Julien for two and a half years so yeah, I'm sure some of Julien's tendencies have worn off on Ducharme a bit.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing either - Montreal wasn't without its flaws under Julien by any stretch but it's not as if Julien had no idea what he was doing.  Ducharme is tweaking a few things and that's what they'll start with.  If that magically gets them going, then that's the sweet spot.  If not, a few more tweaks will be made in the coming weeks.  Ducharme may have completely different tactics in mind but the foundation for that type of big change comes in training camp.  For now, they have to build off of Julien's foundation.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

For most coaches, if you were to ask who is going to provide a bigger impact in a winning effort, the answer more often than not is going to be Danault with his defensive game.  It's the conservative play but when you're just starting as a head coach, the inclination may be there to play it safe.

Personally, I think they're waiting until later in the season to try a move like that, one that will also be around the same time they move Romanov up.  That's not a move you want to do early (risking burnout like what happened to Suzuki last season) so the safer play is to keep that in the bag of tricks for a bit.

He's worked under Julien for two and a half years so yeah, I'm sure some of Julien's tendencies have worn off on Ducharme a bit.  And that's not necessarily a bad thing either - Montreal wasn't without its flaws under Julien by any stretch but it's not as if Julien had no idea what he was doing.  Ducharme is tweaking a few things and that's what they'll start with.  If that magically gets them going, then that's the sweet spot.  If not, a few more tweaks will be made in the coming weeks.  Ducharme may have completely different tactics in mind but the foundation for that type of big change comes in training camp.  For now, they have to build off of Julien's foundation.

Always wise posts Brian. 

I truly think this team can hurt in the playoffs and if champion Price shows up look out

Kk rushes to the Sens zone, pulls 3 players and tries to pass through a crowd

———-

and then the Habs pass the puck around with no shots and no one crashing the net 

I am sure that Sens goalie grew up a Habs fan :rolleyes:

The Habs are not making life difficult for him; maybe he gets his stick signed by the team after the game :P

So who thinks we go to overtime?

Jnstill hope the Habs win it in regulation time plus score an empty net goal.. but it is looking less and less likely 

Their failure to go get that 3rd goal is upsetting.  Also, Ottawa D-men haven't been taken into the boards hard very often tonight; Anderson can't get back soon enough

Another solid game from the two top lines

Romanov and Kotkaniemi were all over the ice, sometimes taking themselves out of position but not hurting the team

Price let the puck hit him and was not trying to guess the play ahead of time. He made himself “big”

It was an ok game

Not their best game overall but I don't think they care about style points at this time.  The Habs were the better of the two teams and got the win.  That's good enough for me when you're trying to snap a slump.

Missed the game (took my daughter out to dinner for her 30th birthday ... first restaurant outing in over a year ... likely last for some time) ... seems like a missed a win but not a great game ... baby steps ... a win is a win and hopefully build on it ... Winnipeg will be a bit more of a challenge

53 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I wouldn't call that a soft goal; Zub walked right in and had all day to shoot it.  Perfect placement on the shot...MAYBE Price gets it if he comes out a bit more and has the angle cut better, but it's a reasonable one to give up.

Price did come out of his net a fair amount to challenge the shooter.  Maybe he gave too much of an angle on his stick side when he did. I called it a soft goal because he was beaten on a the easiest type of shot to stop [wrist] by Zub, an undrafted rookie defenceman who has only other 1 goal to his credit.  This was not a perfect wrist shot from Crosby or Kucherov. It was not a screened slapshot either, or a back door play.  It was the type of shot Price used to stop all the time. 

Carey did play better overall in this game, but I literally held my breath every time Ottawa had the puck in the Habs end in this game.   If I were the coach I would go back to Allen for the next game, then rotate back to Price for Saturday's game.  If DD flips the two starts the other way, that would be ok too but I really don't want to see Price play more than two games in a row until he shows he is out of his slump. 

I wouldn't say Price outplayed the Senator's third string rookie goalie Daccord, whose play was at least on par with Price's.  By the way, Daccord was starting his second NHL game, and had only played 1 period of a game a few days ago.  Imagine if the Habs & Price had lost *this* game!

• Upvote 1

I recently saw Couturier as a comparison for KK, similar height and build who also played in the NHL in his draft year.  He always was a strong defender but only topped 40 points in his 7th season, when he hit 76 twice in a row and is on a ppg pace so far this year.  A cautionary tale about setting the ceiling on players too early in their career.  Hopefully we have the patience to keep KK around till he hits his full potential.

I've also seen Kopitar and Getzlaf as comparisons for KK, but they're both so much bigger and stronger that it makes less sense to me.