Stéphane Waite fired

alfredoh2009

What!

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to Stéphane Waite fired
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little shocked by this...I wonder how much input Carey Price had on this decision. Also, the timing strikes me as extremely odd.

On the post-game they are wondering if there is something to read in Price's comments after the game, he was a bit more cryptic than usual

I have a theory, but its just a theory for now 

What if waite was always going to be fired with Julien and Muller... but they had to wait cause Burke needed to quarantine and hes been quarantining the last week and can start tomorrow?

I find this to be extremely interesting.

I talk to a Swedish guy and several weeks ago he made a comment regarding Price and different goal tending coaches.  I hadnt really thought about it but as soon as he said it I realized he was right. 

In the last few seasons Price hasnt been playing the puck as much as he used to.  Price is the best puck handling G in the NHL and used to play as if he was a 3rd dman.   Its like they have instructed him to not use those special skills. 

Ironically, Price has recently been handling the puck like he used to.  I'm thinking that it has to be related. 

However, I suppose if you have the best G in the world and he has the 2nd worst stats in the league you fire his coach. 

Daren Dregger on TSN690 mentions that according to his sources Price only found out after the game that Waite was let go 😳

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

What if waite was always going to be fired with Julien and Muller... but they had to wait cause Burke needed to quarantine and hes been quarantining the last week and can start tomorrow?

The media reports are that:

Burke will be required to undergo the mandatory 14-day quarantine before joining the Canadiens. Laval Rocket goaltending coach Marco Marciano will work with Montreal's goaltenders until Burke is cleared to join the squad.

No word that his quarantine has begun.

Darren Dreger (on #TSN690): "My understanding is Price had no idea until post game that Waite was fired."

If true, that may point to it being that Ducharme had an issue with Waite, not Price.

Was it Price that had an issue with Waite? ... was it Ducharme? ... was it BOTH?

image.png

The odd thing is, Price was sort of wild in his crease this season.  Overplayed shots and let in some softies.  Last night he let in a softy, but seem pretty tight in the net.  Looked more like the old Price.  Then Waite gets fired after that.

It’s all very interesting.

Bergevin Presser (editing on the fly):

Nothing happened ... no fight or argument between Waite and anyone

He did not consult Price ... doesn't make decisions based on what players think ... didn't like what he was seeing ... gut feeling/instincts ... based on pattern over the last few years

Waite was told after the second period ... he had no further role in the game, and it gave him an opportunity to clean out his personal effects before the game was over

Burke has been involved with Marco Marciano the last couple of years in Laval and will be has already had phone/video calls with Marco, Carey and Jake and will continue while on his 14-day quarantine

Not related to the Julien & Muller firings

Despite Richardson being the sole holdover there will be no change there ... he can sleep well

Price did not know Waite had been fired when he met the media after the game

Burke can understand a goalies experience and had great success in Arizona ... he will bring a new voice

Expects Burke is expected to be on the ice the morning skate the 19th against Vancouver

Ducharme did not ask for a change but he was consulted before making the change

Will not go into specifics on the reasons for making the change ... trying to be as transparent as possible but there are always things that shouldn't/can't/won't be discussed

Challenges question about whether Price needs to be held more accountable ... MB feels he is

MB had a recent talk with Carey and Price realizes that his game isn't where it should be, even if it doesn't look like it when he speaks to the media

MB still believes that Price is one of the best goalies in the NHL

Will be making Burke available to address his plans for the goaltenders

Had talked to Burke, and others in the organization, about what was going on with the goalies ... but Burke wasn't lobbying for the job

Nicely dodged a question linking Carey's performance to signing his big contract

Burke not yet signed to anything beyond this June

Weird timing, but this is what, the fourth season in a row where Price goes through an atrocious and extended early-season doldrum. Enough’s enough. Good decision.

One angle on the timing I haven’t heard relates to Burke’s availability. Maybe he had some affairs/commitments to sort out before he could take the gig, and that’s why he wasn’t canned when the rest of the coaches were let go? But if that were the case, presumably MB would have said so in his presser?

Even though I support the move, part of me wonders whether Price is gone after this year. I can see a 34-year-old family man going, “I’ve had enough of the gong show...time to turn the page.”

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

This seems like the most logical explaination.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One angle on the timing I haven’t heard relates to Burke’s availability. Maybe he had some affairs/commitments to sort out before he could take the gig, and that’s why he wasn’t canned when the rest of the coaches were let go? But if that were the case, presumably MB would have said so in his presser?

My guess is that he was on a scouting trip somewhere before this move was made.  Burke has been a scout for the Habs for several years now and with his ties to Hockey Canada, I suspect he's overseas a fair bit.

I was surprised but do like the move. Price has not been a great goalie for past 3 years now ( besides bubble playoff mini run). This is a so called fresh start and perhaps new messages for price (retooling his game again). Sean Burke is one of the best in this business. 

I’m thinking when Dom took over as head coach he had a heart to heart chat with Carey and perhaps in that conversation both realized the relationship between Carey and Waite was no longer on the same page and a change was due. This was a final decision made between Dom and Berg! 

I wouldn’t give Dom so much credit on Waite’s firing, it would undermine him with the team if he was to throw Stephane under the bus one week into the job 

1 minute ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I wouldn’t give Dom so much credit on Waite’s firing, it would undermine him with the team if he was to throw Stephane under the bus one week into the job 

I don’t look at it as Dom undermining or throwing anyone under the bus. More of Dom relating a serious conversation with his boss. And like I mentioned this could of been between goalie and coach.. berg is taking the so called bullet here.. 

just a thought... there has to be more here with the timing during the season and the timing during the game..

As I side note, I was interested in the vehemence of MB's claim that he will never consult with a player or players before making a decision. He seemed to frame such consultation as a fire-able offence for a GM.

Now maybe he is just saying that so as to build a secure wall of confidentiality around his discussions with players. E.g., if Price expressed discomfort with Waite to Ducharme (or MB) and that informed this decision, you don't ever want to say that. It would be tantamount to throwing both Waite and Price under the bus. So you shut down the entire line of inquiry by saying that you never consult your players on hockey decisions.

But personally, I don't know why you would avoid such consultation as a GM. This isn't 1950 where GMs rule with an iron fist.

Waite was fired during the second intermission which is... yeesh, I dunno. That feels really unprofessional. 

Things have been a bit too noisy with how the Habs are run since the slump started.