Stéphane Waite fired

alfredoh2009

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As mentioned by Brian, anything in Hockey30 needs a huge grain of salt unless confirmed by more reliable sources.

Don't disagree ... which is why I always flag it ... but they do sometimes hear whispers before the mainstream ... they are IMO the Quebec Eklund ... publishing whatever they hear from wherever they hear it, without applying journalistic standards.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You know what I'm guessing really happened here? MB fired the coaches, and one ingredient in that decision was the possibility that Price had quit on CJ, just as he quit on Therrien in 2016. But when Price let in that crappy goal against the Sens, MB concluded that Price's problems went deeper than that. So he pulled the trigger on Waite.

On this hypothesis, the only thing that saved Waite from the initial purge was the possibility that Price was playing to get his head coach fired. The crummy goal pulled the plug on that hypothesis and MB acted: a decision which was simultaneously an "impulse" call in being sparked by one goal in one game, but also a product of a deeper thought process around the Habs' woes in 2021.

Bergevin's comments yesterday suggest that he had spoken to Burke earlier in the day about the position.  I think there's some truth to that; otherwise, your hypothesis suggests that Bergevin saw the goal, called Burke to create a new position, made arrangements to promote Marciano for the next couple of weeks, and went to fire Waite all in the span of about 15-20 minutes.  I don't think that timeline works.

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... whether I support with any particular calculation I do believe he plans the moves out carefully ... which is not to say that there are no emotional/personal considerations that may initiate the calculations

I also agree he is very sensitive to certain situations ... IMO Alzner is the perfect example ... Habs are taking a $3.958333 million cap hit instead of the $2.425 million that burying Alzner would have cost ... in an off-season that he must have already decided to spend aggressively MB threw away a little over $1.5 million because he felt it was the right thing to do.

Alzner in the minors would have cost $3.55M ($4.625M AAV minus $1.075M).  They're paying about $400K more with the buyout this year, not $1.5M.

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Alzner in the minors would have cost $3.55M ($4.625M AAV minus $1.075M).  They're paying about $400K more with the buyout this year, not $1.5M.

image.png

NO idea what cap-hit reference I was looking at when I did that math ... AND THEN YOU FEEL SHAME