March 4 Jets @ Habs 7:00

3 hours ago, DON said:

I think need an all-star forward more than another d-man, but doubt any big moves will happen anytime soon, barring a 8 gm losing streak.

So dealing away a skilled forward doesnt seem like move to make at the moment.

Thats all.

We need an all-star top-line dman WAY more than a forward - unless it’s an elite centre like Eichal - which isn’t happening.

4 hours ago, DON said:

I think need an all-star forward more than another d-man, but doubt any big moves will happen anytime soon, barring a 8 gm losing streak.

So dealing away a skilled forward doesnt seem like move to make at the moment ...

55 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We need an all-star top-line dman WAY more than a forward - unless it’s an elite centre like Eichal - which isn’t happening.

As both are likely to be as common as hen's teeth, especially between now and the trade deadline, I suspect MB would have to take whichever becomes available ... if either does, and a deal can be worked out ... in other news, I am buying LottoMax tickets tonight.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:15 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As for the need to add a star FW, I think maybe we do have a star FW in Josh Anderson.

:blink:

Only for RW,  I don't have Josh in my Top 25, let alone C and LW.

Anderson is NOWHERE near a star FW.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

:blink:

Only for RW,  I don't have Josh in my Top 25, let alone C and LW.

Anderson is NOWHERE near a star FW.

Well, all depends on your criteria. If it's based on points/game, both Anderson and Gallagher are around 30th in the league for RW so far this year.

Toffoli is 12th for LW at 0.91/game, how is he in your rankings?

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Well, all depends on your criteria. If it's based on points/game, both Anderson and Gallagher are around 30th in the league for RW so far this year.

Anderson and Gally are good examples of guys whose impact on games is not fully captured in their points totals.

And yes, if numbers are all that count, then Toffoli is a borderline superstar this season, LOL

35 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

My criteria is roughly "Who would I pick on my team?"  Maybe not in my top 25 for RW is a bit extreme though.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anderson and Gally are good examples of guys whose impact on games is not fully captured in their points totals.

And yes, if numbers are all that count, then Toffoli is a borderline superstar this season, LOL

Toffoli is more of a superstar than Anderson, that’s for sure. But that’s more an indication that Anderson is not a superstar than anything. Eric Cole was more of a “superstar” than Anderson is. 

Every superstar I can think of bring points to the table, unless they are a goaltender, or perhaps a bone crushing defenseman. 

I just don’t see it when it comes to Anderson. I think someone like Drouin has the potential to be a star, but he’s not one either as of yet. Gallagher could be argued as well, Habs fans are just overly used to him.

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

My criteria is roughly "Who would I pick on my team?"  Maybe not in my top 25 for RW is a bit extreme though.

I agree that he’s not a top 25 right winger in the NHL.

Here’s NHL.com’s list pre-season

1. Mikko Rantanen, RW, COL
2. David Pastrnak, RW, BOS (INJ.)
3. Patrick Kane, RW, CHI
4. Mitchell Marner, RW, TOR
5. Patrik Laine, LW/RW, WPG**
6. Steven Stamkos, LW/RW, TBL
7. Mark Stone, RW, VGK
8. Blake Wheeler, C/RW, WPG
9. Teuvo Teravainen, LW/RW, CAR
10. Tom Wilson, RW, WSH
11. William Nylander, LW/RW, TOR
12. Kevin Fiala, LW/RW, MIN**
13. Brock Boeser, RW, VAN
14. T.J. Oshie, RW, WSH
15. Elias Lindholm, C/RW, CGY
16. David Perron, LW/RW, STL
17. Alexander Radulov, LW/RW, DAL
18. Victor Olofsson, LW/RW, BUF
19. Brendan Gallagher, RW, MTL
20. Bryan Rust, LW/RW, PIT
21. Timo Meier, LW/RW, SJS
22. Kailer Yamamoto, RW, EDM**
23. Oliver Bjorkstrand, LW/RW, CBJ
24. Cam Atkinson, RW, CBJ
25. Sam Reinhart, C/RW, BUF**
26. Travis Konecny, RW, PHI
27. Anthony Mantha, LW/RW, DET
28. Patric Hornqvist, RW, FLA
29. Reilly Smith, RW, VGK
30. Jakub Voracek, RW, PHI
31. Evgenii Dadonov, LW/RW, OTT
32. Tyler Toffoli, LW/RW, MTL
33. Pavel Buchnevich, RW, NYR**
34. Kyle Palmieri, RW, NJD*
35. Kasperi Kapanen, LW/RW, PIT
36. Jesse Puljujarvi, RW, EDM
37. Brandon Saad, LW/RW, COL
38. Kaapo Kakko, RW, NYR
39. Anthony Duclair, LW/RW, FLA**
40. Josh Bailey, LW/RW, NYI
41. Joel Kiviranta, RW, DAL**
42. Josh Anderson, RW, MTL
43. Martin Necas, C/RW, CAR
44. Joel Armia, RW, MTL*
45. Jordan Eberle, RW, NYI
46. Craig Smith, RW, BOS
47. Dustin Brown, RW, LAK
48. Robert Thomas, C/RW, STL**
49. Andrew Mangiapane, LW/RW, CGY
50. Viktor Arvidsson, LW/RW, NSH

Small note that Drouin is 48th on the left wing list, though there is a higher concentration of left wing talent in the NHL in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Toffoli is more of a superstar than Anderson, that’s for sure. But that’s more an indication that Anderson is not a superstar than anything. Eric Cole was more of a “superstar” than Anderson is. 

Every superstar I can think of bring points to the table, unless they are a goaltender, or perhaps a bone crushing defenseman. 

I just don’t see it when it comes to Anderson. I think someone like Drouin has the potential to be a star, but he’s not one either as of yet. 

"Superstar" is a strong word. I keep that for only the creme-de-la-creme. No Hab is close to that mark. We haven't had a real superstar outside of nets since Guy Lafleur.

The limitation to Anderson's game is his vision and playmaking; the guy is basically a 30-goal-scoring guided missile driving the net. His point totals will never be super high for that reason, but I'm pretty sure other teams worry about him more than any other Habs forward (except possibly Gallagher). Like I say, his impact is way beyond his points totals, and if what we've seen so far is representative, he should be way higher on that list, right around where Gally is.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

"Superstar" is a strong word. I keep that for only the creme-de-la-creme. No Hab is close to that mark. We haven't had a real superstar outside of nets since Guy Lafleur.

The limitation to Anderson's game is his vision and playmaking; the guy is basically a 30-goal-scoring guided missile driving the net. His point totals will never be super high for that reason, but I'm pretty sure other teams worry about him more than any other Habs forward (except possibly Gallagher). Like I say, his impact is way beyond his points totals, and if what we've seen so far is representative, he should be way higher on that list, right around where Gally is.

sometimes I wish Danault would also be considered a player “who’s impact is way beyond his points totals“ ... I guess that he was not in school the day they distributed the attribution/getting-credit certificate :spamafote:

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t enjoy coming off as being hard on Habs players in particular, in that I want them to succeed. I hope for the best when it comes to Anderson. I would love for him to flourish as a Hab and continue to develop and be that intimidating factor for other teams, as you describe. 

Unfortunately, I just see injuries and lack of consistency as something that can be expected from Anderson. I will continue to smile and cheer every time he scores a key goal for the Habs, or lays a bruising hit on the opponent. I’ve just perceived that some people overrate his ability from my own viewpoint, and while I never complain about cap implications, thought his salary was higher than what a player of his caliber should be compensated. I suppose it is as a result of looking through this lense, that I have my guard up. If your viewpoint is closer to reality, then all things are rosey pink in Habs land, and I mean that in a good way.

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

IMO

Anderson is one of those players that need a certain player to click with to go to the next level. 

Find the right passer and he is going to rock - you never know but that might be KK or it might be Danault 

He is on a 40-goal clip pro-rated over 82 games.

I'm not sure how much of a "next level" there is beyond  that. 40 goals is frigging amazing in my book.

I'm surprised by the lukewarm view of him in this thread. Now, maybe he will cool off, or get chronically injured. But from what we've seen on the ice so far, he already rocks.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm not sure how much of a "next level" there is beyond  that. 40 goals is frigging amazing in my book.

I'm surprised by the lukewarm view of him in this thread. Now, maybe he will cool off, or get chronically injured. But from what we've seen on the ice so far, he already rocks.

I was thinking that with the right line mates Anderson could be 100 point player. 

He needs a good passer and a smart follow up guy. He might gel with Danault and Gallagher - I wonder if he plays left?

He might just as well rock with KK too who does both of those things 

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed. At this point I’d say the habs have zero superstars. Price’s play the last three years excluded him from what I’d consider a superstar. To me top 30 in your position is not a superstar. IMO, it’s more like top 3 to 8 depending on position.  IMO there are definitely more than 5 superstar centres, not sure I think there are more than 5 true superstar goalies today.

Not every team has a superstar - we don’t, but while some are lucky enough to have more than one.

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He’s on 40 goals pace, sure. 
But also a 12 assists pace. 

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Anderson has not looked the same since coming back from injury. 

He isn’t skating as hard or hitting as hard. 

IdK if he isn’t 100% or if he is scared to injure himself. 

I haven't watched last night's game yet, but on Saturday he looked great. Of course, so did almost everybody. But I specifically noticed how Anderson was flying.

21 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

sometimes I wish Danault would also be considered a player “who’s impact is way beyond his points totals“ ... I guess that he was not in school the day they distributed the attribution/getting-credit certificate :spamafote:

I think he is ... but it isn't enough to offset his being miscast as a 1C ...