2021 Taxi squad watch

alfredoh2009

32 minutes ago, PMAC said:

Is there any chance that we will see Baddock in Montreal this season?

I certainly hope not.  While he has been okay in Laval, he's probably not in their top six of viable potential recall options up front.  There would need to be a lot of injuries before he'd get a chance.

On 4/3/2021 at 1:38 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

I am surprised that you can put players that were on the injury list and on COVID protocol in the taxi squad. Loophole?

Really, that's consistent with the roster -- an injured player uses a roster spot exactly the same as a healthy one.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Really, that's consistent with the roster -- an injured player uses a roster spot exactly the same as a healthy one.

I don't know why I am surprised, i thought the taxi squad was for players that could play if called upon. Injured players can't play... my take on it is obviously wrong

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't know why I am surprised, i thought the taxi squad was for players that could play if called upon. Injured players can't play... my take on it is obviously wrong

It is, yes, but the roster as a minimum size, as does the taxi squad. And they don't qualify either one.

47 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It's supposed to be for healthy players but when both the Habs and Laval are at home, they can get away with hiding injured players on there and shuffling a healthy one up if they're actually needed.  On the road, they'll be carrying healthy players.

Today's fun:

Evans to the taxi squad

Leskinen to the taxi squad

Primeau to the taxi squad

Ouellet recalled to the taxi squad

Baddock from the taxi squad to Laval (injured)

Vejdemo from the taxi squad to Laval (injured)

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Today's fun:

Evans to the taxi squad

Leskinen to the taxi squad

Primeau to the taxi squad

Ouellet recalled to the taxi squad

Baddock from the taxi squad to Laval (injured)

Vejdemo from the taxi squad to Laval (injured)

Does that indicate that Ouellet will be in for the next game, instead of Mete/Leskinen?

Because seeing Ouellet in the lineup does not fill me with a foreboding of solid defence and a comfortable victory.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Does that indicate that Ouellet will be in for the next game, instead of Mete/Leskinen?

Because seeing Ouellet in the lineup does not fill me with a foreboding of solid defence and a comfortable victory.

Not necessarily.  It just gives them another body with Merrill not available for a week.  Having said that, I'm no fan of Ouellet but I'd rather see him in there than watch Leskinen struggle as much as he did last night.  He played terrified and that characteristic against Toronto is a very dangerous combination, especially since he had a tendency to get caught on long shifts which basically led to Winnipeg's first goal yesterday.

28 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Not necessarily.  It just gives them another body with Merrill not available for a week.  Having said that, I'm no fan of Ouellet but I'd rather see him in there than watch Leskinen struggle as much as he did last night.  He played terrified and that characteristic against Toronto is a very dangerous combination, especially since he had a tendency to get caught on long shifts which basically led to Winnipeg's first goal yesterday.

Is that (at least partly) indicating insufficient preparation/practice with the Habs? I think he would maybe only have had a single taxi squad practice before the Winnipeg game.

43 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Is that (at least partly) indicating insufficient preparation/practice with the Habs? I think he would maybe only have had a single taxi squad practice before the Winnipeg game.

Could be although he played terrified in his five games last year too. 

A quick housekeeping note, the Habs papered Byron and Romanov down to the taxi squad before executing a regular recall on them for last night's game.  If the four regular recall rule applies, that counts as two of the four with Primeau, Evans, and Ouellet being emergency recalls, the latter coming up with Chiarot's retroactive LTIR placement (of which he's eligible to be activated at any time so there's no need to be worried about him going there).  The purpose of doing the paper transactions just keeps them taxi squad/AHL-eligible.

Just something to keep in mind if and when Caufield gets a taxi squad promotion with some of those regular recall slots being filled already.

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A quick housekeeping note, the Habs papered Byron and Romanov down to the taxi squad before executing a regular recall on them for last night's game.  If the four regular recall rule applies, that counts as two of the four with Primeau, Evans, and Ouellet being emergency recalls, the latter coming up with Chiarot's retroactive LTIR placement (of which he's eligible to be activated at any time so there's no need to be worried about him going there).  The purpose of doing the paper transactions just keeps them taxi squad/AHL-eligible.

Just something to keep in mind if and when Caufield gets a taxi squad promotion with some of those regular recall slots being filled already.

Does taxi go away when the playoffs start  or is the taxi separate from the extended roster?

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Does taxi go away when the playoffs start  or is the taxi separate from the extended roster?

As the cap is no longer an issue come the playoffs I expect it will disappear ... but if they go the "bubble" format for the playoffs to try and protect the players and better ensure games are played then there may again be a roster limit (think it was 28 last Fall).

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As the cap is no longer an issue come the playoffs I expect it will disappear ... but if they go the "bubble" format for the playoffs to try and protect the players and better ensure games are played then there may again be a roster limit (think it was 28 last Fall).

Correct - there won't be a taxi squad in the playoffs.  With the Habs housing Laval out of the Bell Centre, I think they should be able to have something closer to their usual 'Black Aces' format, especially with it not looking like there will be any AHL playoffs.

On 4/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, dlbalr said:

Housekeeping note Part 2 - Ouellet's recall on Monday to play against Toronto was not an emergency recall but instead a regular one.  While Chiarot was on LTIR and the Habs only had five available defencemen, the fact that Merrill and Gustafsson were on the active roster (though not available) removed the emergency status.  So Montreal has actually used three of their four non-emergency recalls.  That really limits what they can do in terms of taxi squad promotions as even bringing Evans up to give Perry or Staal a night off would trigger the fourth one.  That's the context behind Ducharme's comments yesterday about needing injuries to bring those players in.

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Housekeeping note Part 2 - Ouellet's recall on Monday to play against Toronto was not an emergency recall but instead a regular one.  While Chiarot was on LTIR and the Habs only had five available defencemen, the fact that Merrill and Gustafsson were on the active roster (though not available) removed the emergency status.  So Montreal has actually used three of their four non-emergency recalls.  That really limits what they can do in terms of taxi squad promotions as even bringing Evans up to give Perry or Staal a night off would trigger the fourth one.  That's the context behind Ducharme's comments yesterday about needing injuries to bring those players in.

A Covid complexity ... perhaps the rule needs to be tweaked to consider traded players ... a day for "regular" trades to allow the player to travel, but also allow for instances when players are unavailable due to a non-hockey mandate that prevents the player from joining their team ... seems like Canadian teams are being punished for being in Canada

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Where is Kulak now ?  Is he out of the lineup because of cap reasons ?

He is one of their 8 roster defencemen ... so available but not selected to dress (unless there is an injury involved) ... only taxi squad defenceman is Ouellet (not certain why, it would take 3 injuries on the blueline before he could be needed) 

40 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Where is Kulak now ?  Is he out of the lineup because of cap reasons ?

With Drouin on LTIR, they have plenty of wiggle room on the cap.  He's a healthy scratch.

Poehling and Belzile are back to Laval.  That might just be to allow them to practice with the team this afternoon but we'll see if Tatar is ready to come back tomorrow (he skated yesterday).