What do we do about Ribeiro?

Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

Ribs has shown NO sign of adjusting to the 'new NHL' and the lack of secondary scoring is seriously hurting us, now that Kovalev is out. Now, I've been a Ribeiro defender over the years...but I'm seriously worried that his lack of footspeed may be the one obstacle he cannot overcome.

So what do we do about our second line? Me, I favour waiting until Bonk bags a goal or two and then promoting him to our second line. Despite his absymal performance for us so far, his overall career record suggests that he's well-suited to such a role.

But not everyone will agree with this.

So let's hear it. Do you think (a) we should tough it out and hope Ribs finds his game (B) do as I suggest above, wait for Bonk to wake up and then replace Ribs with Bonk or © trade for a 2nd-line centreman? If ©, what are your REALISTIC suggestions for such a trade?

Lay it on me! :hockey:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ribs won't get us a 2nd center capable of his offensive output that has some of the basic attributes Ribs lacks (speed, grit, determination) and I don't think we need to give anybody else worth giving to upgrade the second center. Play Ribs for the rest of the year -he really hasn't been that bad- (or Pleks if that fails) and I'd look to improve the second center position in the free agent market next summer.

We haven't called up any forwards yet, even with Kovalev, Bonk, Sundstrom and Bulis all missing some games. It is time to go to the farm and let Ribs eat hot dogs in the press box for a few games to figure out what to do with his life.

Locke might be the type to help this squad out. Let Begin centre Ryder and Zednik. Koivu centre Perezhogin and Plekanec. Bonk, Bulis Sundstrom and finally Locke Higgins Dagenais.

Cote did not look that bad out there except on Alphie's goal.

Originally posted by lrw

We haven't called up any forwards yet, even with Kovalev, Bonk, Sundstrom and Bulis all missing some games. It is time to go to the farm and let Ribs eat hot dogs in the press box for a few games to figure out what to do with his life.

Locke might be the type to help this squad out. Let Begin centre Ryder and Zednik. Koivu centre Perezhogin and Plekanec. Bonk, Bulis Sundstrom and finally Locke Higgins Dagenais.

I love Begin, but he is not a second line center. He has a grinder role to play with the team and he plays it beautifully. Take him out of that role, make him into something he is not and start playing him on the first and second line and he will start to look silly and useless. Keep him in his role, he is very good at playing that role.

Originally posted by lrw

Locke isn't going to be an upgrade on Ribs

Originally posted by RobRock

Actually, sitting him for game or two might be a good idea. Julien did it last season when Mikey developed a habit of extending his shifts by an hour or so.

Best way to get him going - sit him and his good buddy Dagenais for a couple of games.

Wait till near the deadline, and trade him with Perezhogin for Jokininen in Florida.

He'll be a UFA this summer when his one-year deal expires (because of the new CBA: It will drop to 29 (with four accrued seasons) or eight accrued seasons -- regardless of age -- in 2006-07.

He's playing in his 8th season.

There are already rumblings of him on the block so Keenan, if he can't sign him by the deadline (once the negotiate period opens on Jan. 1st), then I'm sure he'll listen to offers.

Getting Ribeiro and Perezhogin for an impending UFA woudl be great..and Jokinen is only 27 (or will be in Dec.), has size and can be a great second line center behind Koivu.

I'd prefer to get permission to negotiate a deal prior to the trade, however.

Originally posted by habschris

waWhat this team needs is some toughness and grinders to play with Begin on the fourth line. Trade Ribs for a right handed gritty center for the fourth line. They can throw in Dags in as well.

Habs could use more grit, but it wont solve their lack of offense.

Packaging Ribeiro with somebody for Jokinen is a great idea; despite Jokie's limitations, he would be a fine second-line centreman. The problem is that a one-for-one swap is highly unlikely, and Perezhogin would be an unwise throw-in. Ideally, we could toss a Hossa-like character into the mix...then again, Florida might be more interested in a veteran...hmmmm. Any other suggestions?

Let's remember that SAKU will also be an FA at year's end. All the more reason to acquire a good centreman, just in case.

Given the hypothetical possibility of trading Ribeiro for Jokinen, I'd go with Jokinen any day. But adding Perezhogin to the deal... no deal.

Jokinen has elite possibilities, something like Thornton but doesn't seem to be able to put it together on a consistent basis.

Perezhogin, on the other hand, though it's possible that he may never reach his potential, still has the possible ahead of him whereas Jokinen has shown over his career that he won't put it together regularly.

It's a good case, in my mind, of the bird in your hand (Jokinen) NOT being worth the bird in the bush (Perezhogin).

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Jokinen's stats are about the same than Koivu in the last 3 years, before that he was a youngster so it doesn't really count. I also think that if we would to trade for him, we should do it quickly, the Panthers are getting their injured players back, which will mean better support for Joki and more points. I'd throw a draft pick (3rd) with Ribs and a guy like Sundstrom (to help their lack of defense...40 shots a game!!!)

Originally posted by crazydoo

Jokinen's stats are about the same than Koivu in the last 3 years, before that he was a youngster so it doesn't really count. I also think that if we would to trade for him, we should do it quickly, the Panthers are getting their injured players back, which will mean better support for Joki and more points. I'd throw a draft pick (3rd) with Ribs and a guy like Sundstrom (to help their lack of defense...40 shots a game!!!)

Yes, this mix sounds comfortable to me but I don't know what the Panthers would think of it.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Apparently from the Journal de Montreal:

"Si Micheal Ryder avait complété la moitier des chances de marquer que je lui ai procurées, le problème ne se poserait pas."

If Ryder had scored on half of the chances I gave him, there wouldn't be a problem.

Arrogant little prick. To EVER say something like that about a teammate whether it be true or not is outrageous. If this is true, and not taken out of context or misquoted, then if I see his skinny little ass on the ice, I'm firing off an email to the Canadiens DEMANDING his trade. Last year it was Koivu, and this year it's Ryder? I mean, COME ON. Why don't you go join your arrogant friend Hainsey in Columbus you little (censored and lemme tell you that when I say it, it's a LONG line of cussing).

I have had it up to here with his attitude, with his LACK of effort and with his useless play. I don't want to see him disgracing the jersey anymore and I don't want to see his face in Montreal anymore. He was a sham when he dove against Boston in the playoffs, he's utterly useless in the new NHL, and now he's CREATING problems in the dressing room.

Lemme tell ya, this had BETTER be a mis-quote...