What do we do about Ribeiro?

Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

«Si Michael Ryder avait complété la moitié des chances de marquer que je lui ai procurées, le problème ne se poserait pas», a-t-il laissé tomber hier.

Le ton n'était pas agressif, mais reste que ça sonnait dur à l'oreille. Ce genre de commentaire est inhabituel dans une entrevue et il est aussi rare qu'un joueur s'échappe de la sorte en privé.

NOT mis-quoted. Time to get the little ###### out of Montreal.

http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/arc...201-100200.html

[Edited on 2005/12/3 by Colin]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

I just ruined my wife's dinner I'm so steamed.

Talk about a pass-the-buck guy, eh? Won't accept any responsibility himself, but blames it on the leading scorer of the team. Un-frikkin-believable. If that comment isn't his ticket out of Montreal, then I might just start to lose interest in the Canadiens. I've absolutely had it with pricks like this ruining things I enjoy.

Well, everyone's thinking it, but I'll voice it, so to speak.

Ribeiro is the French media darling and there's no way they'd say anything about it. They want this buried so they keep their darling. Now, if it was an Anglophone or a foreigner, he'd be run out of town. If it was a French player that was critical about the media; run out of town. But Ribeiro? Short of killing someone there is zero way that RDS would EVER say anything bad about him. Hell, Pednault has the toughest time saying even minor bad things about him. He's on a bad scoring drought? Bain, Ribeiro a ses difficultes, mais au moins il competitionne.

Basically, Ribeiro and Theodore have free passes. In fact, if either is traded you can bet the media will villify Gainey and call for his head even if we get Brodeur and 5 first rounders for Theo and Jagr and 5 first rounders for Ribeiro.

I don't think it has anything to do with French media. Wasn't the Journal de Montréalwho gave the Ribeiro statement? It's even Marc De Foy, one of the main French writer, who is trying to make Ribeiro sounds bad. So, I don't think French medias protect him.

If we're stuck with Ribs, it's because he has no trade value and we have nothing better than him, not because the French media want him to stay here.

If RDS doesn't say anything bad againts Ribs, it's because they have no clue and only look at the scoreboard. Ribs and Dags.. 2pts each.. nice!

Dang! If you're just to look at the score sheets, at least check the +/- column. They were both minus 1.

RDS is there to please the viewers. If you want real analysis, read ACF :/)

[Edited on 2005-12-4 by sakiqc]

Considering that the media ran Mike Keane out of town on a rail because he said that he didn't need to speak French to be an effective Habs' captain, and that Ribeiro's comments were far more offensive from a team-building perspective, I'm afraid I must go at least part of the way to agreeing with you, Colin. At least, the RDS crew is suspect.

I watched the last episode of 'la ligue en question,' where Higgins (!!!) was singled out for the recent woes and where it was stated that guys like Bonk and Zednik (I think it was Zednik) were getting a free pass because Quebecers don't like to be rude to 'outsiders,' and instead criticize 'their own' unreasonably. All of that seemed to be a convoluted effort to avoid slagging Ribeiro for his piss-poor play up to that point.

And can I just build on this theme by saying that, as much as I love and respect Jacques Demers, for obvious reasons, I do sometimes get tired of him jumping to the defence of various struggling francophone players with reference to the fact that so and so is 'un bon gars d'iici, un homme de famille,' etc, etc.. We get enough of that 'Mom's Apple Pie' bullshit from HNIC (always for the english canadians, natch). How about an attempt an objective analysis instead of petty nationalism, for once?

And I disagree that RDS is just there to please fans. These guys are broadcasters and owe it to their audience to be honest.

Anyway, thank God Gainey's in charge. He won't give a hoot about any of this folderol: he sees what Ribs is, and I'm sure he'll deal with it, either via trade or some other route. Running him over with a Zamboni might be a start.:/)

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by Roo-AH! Roo-AH!]

Ahem. Colin is a goon.

I believe I actually edited sakicq and not quoted him. However I did NOT erase a single word he wrote.

Which he will surely agree with. You can read my reply again here:

I don't think it's all the French media, so I shouldn't be so quick to lump everyone together, you're right. There are quite a few out there who are extremely good writers and very objective in what they do. I've no experience with Foy as I don't get the Journal myself but it does seem like he was trying to provoke something there.

However, I do stand by what I said regarding the RDS crew. I think, at times, they try to be the anti-CBC crew and go entirely the opposite direction from the Leaf love-in that happens there.

Wow, do you guys not watch the NFL or NBA? Ever hear Owens or Sprewell talk?

Ribeiro didn't say anything that outrageous and you guys are telling him to get out of Montreal? You guys want Saku to "beat the crap" out of Ribeiro?

He simply stated his opinion. He believes Ryder should finish more of his passes. Big deal. Get over it.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Ribeiro didn't say anything that outrageous and you guys are telling him to get out of Montreal? You guys want Saku to "beat the crap" out of Ribeiro?

He simply stated his opinion. He believes Ryder should finish more of his passes. Big deal. Get over it.

We're not in the NBA or NFL. Keep this super-hard gangster talk there, I'm not interested in Sprewell or anyone else from those leagues.

It's about respect - respect for his teammates! If there's a slump, start with yourself to search the mistakes but not go out and state that your linemate isn't scoring goals.

@Roo-AH! Roo-AH!: I really like the Zamboni idea ... :D :/)

Do any of you actually read the whole article or just the parts you want to read?

«Ce n'est pas un blâme, a-t-il répondu. Il a dirigé de bons tirs au filet. J'ajouterais qu'il en a obtenu cinq ou six par match dernièrement. Il compte quand même 10 buts à sa fiche. Pour ma part, je dois continuer à créer des occasions de marquer.»

i mean, sure his comments were risky and he is not in position to criticize others when he's not playing well but he is picking it up slowly but surely. He is being punished for his lack of effort by being placed on the 4th line and getting his ice-time cut....But he is not the only one under performing. I think comments like these will only make them play even harder.

wait...

Maybe just maybe Ribs said if the Habs players in general were finishing half their chances the team wouldn't be slumping, then the JdeM reporter took liberties and ascribed the reference only to Ryder.

That's a possibility that was brought up elsewhere -- I'm out in Nippon, I dunno, but we ought to hold our horses maybe before we run Ribs out of town?

Anyway for the record I am inclined to think he's an arrogant , but he's a skinny guy, so maybe attitude is what has got him by this far in pro hockey?

Originally posted by Ribeiro

And both of those guys are players who nobody wants on their team, so what's your point? There's a reason why TO was suspended for the year and why nobody came looking for Latrell's services when his contract ran out.

Ryder should make sure he "accidentally" nails Ribs in practice.

It's fine if you're going to call out a teammate, but it's asinine to do so like that. If you're going to talk shit about a teammate, you do it to his face, not to the media.

P.S. Stop making me look at Don Cherry.

[Edited on 12-4-05 by Fanpuck33]

Lets avoid doing the Montreal thing and overeacting to a few words. We won the game and we should be happy. Ribeiro's a pre-modona and should be disciplined for a number of reasons, but not for some lame comments alone. I hate his head shaking after failed passes and shots. His slammed sticks when someone goes offside. He rides his French Canadian good old boys status to excuse his poor perforances. I like the idea of having French Canadians on the Habs and if we could fill the team with only the best French canadians in the league I'd be in heaven, but Ribeiro still nwouldn't be a top pick for me.

We have to draw the line between extremes though. Ribeiro should not be traded away. He has skills. By that same token he shouldn't be allowed to treat the team like he owns it.

No, this is indefensible. Maybe Ribeiro was only trying to make a point the team hasn't been finishing as well as possible, but he did it in THE worst way possible. You never, NEVER hang your teammates out to dry like that. I don't care if it's Ryder, Dagenais, Garth Murray, whoever. You win as a team, and lose as a team. Period.

At worst, this is a callous attempt to shift the blame for the recent slump to someone else. At best, it shows that he's careless with the press and that he doesn't fully understand the team concept. Neither scenario is very reassuring.

But I'm with lister110, let's enjoy this one for a while. We have a week to see how this will play out.

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by option+]

And both of those guys are players who nobody wants on their team, so what's your point? There's a reason why TO was suspended for the year and why nobody came looking for Latrell's services when his contract ran out.

Ryder should make sure he "accidentally" nails Ribs in practice.

It's fine if you're going to call out a teammate, but it's asinine to do so like that. If you're going to talk shit about a teammate, you do it to his face, not to the media.

P.S. Stop making me look at Don Cherry.

[Edited on 12-4-05 by Fanpuck33]

LOL. Yeh, one night of the week's bad enough!

I think all the Ribeiro haters are taking this a little bit to far with all of this. As I see it with the absence of Koivu in the line up Ribs is taking more of a leadership role here.What is he saying that all of a us don't already know?The team as of late is playing well and having lots and lots of scoreing chances BUT we are just not finshing!!! AS long as he did not point out one player (Ryder) and more as the whole team with the lack of scoring then I have no problem with this......

We did see a little bit of leadership last night from him. We needed the 2nd line to come out strong and he was a big part of the win with the two helpers fo Dags.....

What we need is a healthy team and full fan support for the players,coach and our GM.The winning will come back like it was at the beginning of the season....:hlogo:

Agreed... but agree that he should shut up at least when he gets interviewed...

On the rink and wherever, he can say what he wants about himself his girlfriend and his teamates.... Just dont go publishing it!

the fact that he plays well now is good but like the concerned fan pointed out he has to play like this everygame ( not necesarily score) but put the effort that we pay him for! or else he's history.

Everyone’s comments are warranted, because as many of you said we do not know whether or not Ribero made a comment about the teams lack of putting pucks in the net or specifically Ryder. I don’t believe that he would say this about Ryder they seem to be close friends and work well together. I am sure that Ryder is very grateful to have a playmaker like Ribero playing with him and I am sure that Ribero enjoys playing with a natural goal scorer like Ryder. So lets home that next Saturday when a majority of our beloved Habs are back in the line up (Koivu, Bonk, Markov, K Rex) that the habs will get hot with consistent scoring from both their first and second lines, even if that does mean Dagenais yes Dagenais on the 2nd line wow I cant believe I typed that.

Originally posted by habs#4,9,10,33

I think all the Ribeiro haters are taking this a little bit to far with all of this. As I see it with the absence of Koivu in the line up Ribs is taking more of a leadership role here.What is he saying that all of a us don't already know?The team as of late is playing well and having lots and lots of scoreing chances BUT we are just not finshing!!! AS long as he did not point out one player (Ryder) and more as the whole team with the lack of scoring then I have no problem with this......

We did see a little bit of leadership last night from him. We needed the 2nd line to come out strong and he was a big part of the win with the two helpers fo Dags.....

What we need is a healthy team and full fan support for the players,coach and our GM.The winning will come back like it was at the beginning of the season....:hlogo:

If that is Ribs attempt at leadership then he needs to take some leadership training.

The comments were wrong. This may be a window into the problems that line is having. Perhaps Ribs and Ryder don't get along.

The fact is Ribs is not a second line center.

Goodbye....and take your little friend with you.

:monkey:

Just a question: if Ribs is not a second line center than what is he? A fourth-line center? He's definitely better than that...