What do we do about Ribeiro?

Roo-AH! Roo-AH!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And both of those guys are players who nobody wants on their team, so what's your point? There's a reason why TO was suspended for the year and why nobody came looking for Latrell's services when his contract ran out.

The Eagles had no problem picking up Owens and his attitude after his antics in San Francisco. They even kept him after his whole contract fiasco. Jerry Jones wants Terrell Owens on his team right now.

The Houston Rockets, Los Angelos Lakers, Denver Nuggets, and Miami Heat have all expressed interest in Latrell Sprewell. ESPN and various other sources have reported that he declined the Rockets since they can't meet his financial desires, and he does not want to be a reserve on the Heat.

So much for your, "nobody wants them", theory.

The NHL doesn't need any more Joe Sakic robots during interviews, "We tried our best. We will give 110%. We made very good plays. We thought the other team played well. We tried hard."

Players with attitude like Roenick and Ribeiro, get attention, and the problem with the NHL is that they don't have enough attention from Americans.

He didn't even say anything that bad. If Koivu had said something like that, you guys would just nod and agree. But Saku isn't Quebecois, and there seems to be hatred against RDS, Theodore, Ribeiro, Brisebois and everything Quebecois on this forum.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

If you are quoting a french article... PLS PLS PLS translate it into english so we all can understand.

"«Si Michael Ryder avait complété la moitié des chances de marquer que je lui ai procurées, le problème ne se poserait pas», a-t-il laissé tomber hier.

Le ton n'était pas agressif, mais reste que ça sonnait dur à l'oreille. Ce genre de commentaire est inhabituel dans une entrevue et il est aussi rare qu'un joueur s'échappe de la sorte en privé."

In English is.....

"If Michael Ryder had put in half the scoring chances I set up for him, the problem wouldn't be here anymore," he let slip yesterday.

His tone wasn't agressive but it still sounds bad. This type of commentary is unusual in an interview and it's also rare that a player says something of that sort while in private.

^

l

l

That's the article done by my first-class translating skills.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

And both of those guys are players who nobody wants on their team, so what's your point? There's a reason why TO was suspended for the year and why nobody came looking for Latrell's services when his contract ran out.

The Eagles had no problem picking up Owens and his attitude after his antics in San Francisco. They even kept him after his whole contract fiasco. Jerry Jones wants Terrell Owens on his team right now.

The Houston Rockets, Los Angelos Lakers, Denver Nuggets, and Miami Heat have all expressed interest in Latrell Sprewell. ESPN and various other sources have reported that he declined the Rockets since they can't meet his financial desires, and he does not want to be a reserve on the Heat.

So much for your, "nobody wants them", theory.

The NHL doesn't need any more Joe Sakic robots during interviews, "We tried our best. We will give 110%. We made very good plays. We thought the other team played well. We tried hard."

Players with attitude like Roenick and Ribeiro, get attention, and the problem with the NHL is that they don't have enough attention from Americans.

He didn't even say anything that bad. If Koivu had said something like that, you guys would just nod and agree. But Saku isn't Quebecois, and there seems to be hatred against RDS, Theodore, Ribeiro, Brisebois and everything Quebecois on this forum.

This is just throwing accusations around. It is entirely unfair to say there is hatred of everything Quebecois here.

People have been complaining about Ribeiro's play because (up till 3 days ago) he hadn't been playing well. It may be that Ribeiro's comments attract media attention and make interesting reading. However, they harm the team and he richly deserves to be criticized for them.

P.S. I find it strange that you complain about people hating Quebecois yet use Don Cherry for your avitar.

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by Peter Puck]

I usually agree with Colin's articles. This is exactly how I feel:

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1007

A paragraph:

I must confess that, despite the win, I didn't much enjoy this contest. After reading what Ribeiro said, I had a sour taste in my mouth all night - I still do. I find that there are a few aspects of this team that I really don't like at all. I'm tired of ego's and the half efforts. I'm also frustrated with the way the coach is using certain of the players. This is a playoff team, but not a Cup team. We'll never get past the second round with Ribeiro as a #2 centre. We'll never get far if Dagenais is on the 2nd line wing. And we're not going to improve unless we let the kids develop. I feel under this coach we're spinning our wheels now.

Great job Colin

Call me practical, but I don't think these comments should change anything. If he did make those comments, he should get his head chewed off by Gainey monday morning in his office but not get traded unless we can get a better 2nd center in a Ribeiro + package we would be comfortable with (not likely, I think the 2nd center position can best be upgraded in the UFA market next summer). Rushing players out of town because of off ice issues leads to incredibly poor trades. Lets stop with the Ronald Corey forced trades that cost us assets (Chelios comes to mind quickly) in exchange for nothing cause we feel rushed to deal them and let other GMs deal from a position of strenght.

Originally posted by Bulis_the_Habbie
Originally posted by Dalhabs

If you are quoting a french article... PLS PLS PLS translate it into english so we all can understand.

"«Si Michael Ryder avait complété la moitié des chances de marquer que je lui ai procurées, le problème ne se poserait pas», a-t-il laissé tomber hier.

Le ton n'était pas agressif, mais reste que ça sonnait dur à l'oreille. Ce genre de commentaire est inhabituel dans une entrevue et il est aussi rare qu'un joueur s'échappe de la sorte en privé."

In English is.....

"If Michael Ryder had put in half the scoring chances I set up for him, the problem wouldn't be here anymore," he let slip yesterday.

His tone wasn't agressive but it still sounds bad. This type of commentary is unusual in an interview and it's also rare that a player says something of that sort while in private.

^

l

l

That's the article done by my first-class translating skills.

Is it possiable he said it as a joke- "If Michael Ryder had put in half the scoring chances I set up for him, the problem wouldn't be here anymore,"

sounds like it to me.....:hlogo:

Originally posted by Rooster

Call me practical, but I don't think these comments should change anything. If he did make those comments, he should get his head chewed off by Gainey monday morning in his office but not get traded unless we can get a better 2nd center in a Ribeiro + package we would be comfortable with (not likely, I think the 2nd center position can best be upgraded in the UFA market next summer). Rushing players out of town because of off ice issues leads to incredibly poor trades. Lets stop with the Ronald Corey forced trades that cost us assets (Chelios comes to mind quickly) in exchange for nothing cause we feel rushed to deal them and let other GMs deal from a position of strenght.

I agree with your comments.

The fact that I believe Ribs is not the man for the job does not mean that we make a dumb trade.

When the opportunity to upgrade 2nd line center comes along, then do it.

(it probably will be a UFA in the summer)

Originally posted by habs#4,9,10,33

Is it possiable he said it as a joke- "If Michael Ryder had put in half the scoring chances I set up for him, the problem wouldn't be here anymore,"

That sounds quite plausible to me, seeing that Ryder IS the team's leading goal scorer.

Ribeiro's comments are a bit surprising to me...he usually handles himself much better in the media than that. He normally knows what to say and how to say it.

So that leads it to three things:

1 - Ribs knew what he was doing and said it exactly how he wanted to say it.

2 - He's frustrated and it didn't come out exactly how he wanted to say it.

3 - There's a bigger context to the interview. Prior questions, prior comments, or discussion could have lead to him singling out Ryder.

As readers, we only have the face value of the article and the quotes within, so its probably easier to read into it.

But, I'm a somewhat quasi-fan of Ribs, I like what he CAN bring to this team, but I willingly acknowledge that he's probably not the long-term solution as a number 2 center (especially with Koivu as our number 1).

But whenever I think of Ribs, I think of his genuine appreciation of playing for his hometown team. He has sincere passion to the team, even though he doesn't show it all the time.

But the one thing I recall is the 04 playoffs, after Kovy ran into Souray. After hearing Koivu speaking in disbelief and Julien reassuring the press, and Souray crticizing Kovy's decision to cater to his hand, Ribeiro showed the kind of leadership he can give to this team: (paraphrasing) "It's not Kovelov's fault we lost, we were leading by 2 going into the third and we gave up the lead...we should have never been in OT to begin with".

I didn't remember anyone asking to trade Souray after not dealing with his frustration "in-house".

Ribs composure and relaxation with the media is great asset to have. So while he definitely is a premadona, its up to the team to use his abilities to strengthen the team until something better comes along.

Originally posted by Rooster
Originally posted by habs#4,9,10,33

That sounds quite plausible to me, seeing that Ryder IS the team's leading goal scorer.

Yeah, right after that he said nicer things like he wasn't blaming him and he has 10 goals so he has to keep on setting him up.

Prime Minister Koivu:

"I agree with your comments.

The fact that I believe Ribs is not the man for the job does not mean that we make a dumb trade.

When the opportunity to upgrade 2nd line center comes along, then do it.

(it probably will be a UFA in the summer)"

If we trade Ribs then we need an offensive defenceman or something we really need not a second line center. Plekanec is a already a great second line center. No need to keep him on the 3rd line when he's better than Ribeiro or probably whoever we get for him.

But why trade him anyway? For now, he's not HURTING the team. Against Washington, whe Streit got on the ice it was a minus. We'd rather have had only 4 skaters. But Ribeiro is still helping us win hockey games. The Eagles didn't trade Owens after he got in a fight with McNabb and Andy Reid and received suspensions from the team and league. That's because his advantages were more numerous than his disadvantages so he helping the team. Eventually, the Eagles felt that he was taking away from the team so only then did they get rid of him. For the moment, Ribeiro is still helping us win hockey games.

I like Pleks, but I don't think anybody can assume he "naturally" can fill the second line spot right away. Ribs was the team's leading scorer last year. What exactly has Pleks proven on offense that make in such a lock?

I am surprised to see you guys buying into the blame game as presented and edited by the '' hunting for sensation'' trashy Journal of Montreal' newspaper.

Also, seeing here that some people perceived the french media as being indulgent towards french speaking players makes me wonder about which places in the world those posters must live and about their understanding of French.

I perceive the french speaking people as being way overly critical of the Quebecois and the media as trailing just slightly behing this irrationnality....and that is was I prefer, (except for some specific segment of the french media) reading the Gasette or using this Englo based Habs site.

Now, I am much concerned about this ''A Concerned Fan'' and his personal vandetta......to think that he ended his last inflamatory article by hoping that nest week should be a little easier with the return to health and the hard play as provided by Koivu, Komisarek and BONK,...yes you heard me right,...BONK...now how can he even slide in this guy with the two others in the same positive sentence baffles me......no doubt his worst article so far.

Originally posted by PB

I am surprised to see you guys buying into the blame game as presented and edited by the '' hunting for sensation'' trashy Journal of Montreal' newspaper.

Also, seeing here that some people perceived the french media as being indulgent towards french speaking players makes me wonder about which places in the world those posters must live and about their understanding of French.

I perceive the french speaking people as being way overly critical of the Quebecois and the media as trailing just slightly behing this irrationnality....and that is was I prefer, (except for some specific segment of the french media) reading the Gasette or using this Englo based Habs site.

Now, I am much concerned about this ''A Concerned Fan'' and his personal vandetta......to think that he ended his last inflamatory article by hoping that nest week should be a little easier with the return to health and the hard play as provided by Koivu, Komisarek and BONK,...yes you heard me right,...BONK...now how can he even slide in this guy with the two others in the same positive sentence baffles me......no doubt his worst article so far.

That's a good point: the Journal de Montreal is far from a credible source.

I'm sorry, Ribeiro is not hurting the team? He was a -1 last night despite the gifts of points from the opposition. That's not particularly impressive.

And Bonk has been playing hurt for a long time apparently, so I think I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do when healthy.

I really don't understand why people watch the pond hockey ballerina and think he's a stellar player. Sure, he has great moves, and occasionally great vision, but he's a perimeter player, albeit with good skills, who gives half-efforts. Is this the kind of guy you want on the second line? He was buried in the playoffs and has been relatively ineffectual so far this season in comparison with his so-called good year.

Yes, when he tries, he can look good, but we don't see enough of it. All we have on our hands right now is a big ego who can't deliver.

My hope is that he was played like he was so he gets some trade value. This team has virtually zero Cup potential with him in the lineup.

Why would they make up an entire interview only to defame their favourite guy?

Creating fabulous heroes or suspicious vilains is what the Journal de Montreal is all about.

Controversys are prime sellers for them,....from how they ask questions to how they will edit and arrange the answers obtain from the interview.....thats all they care about.

Originally posted by PB

Why would they make up an entire interview only to defame their favourite guy?

Creating fabulous heroes or suspicious vilains is what the Journal de Montreal is all about.

Controversys are prime sellers for them,....from how they ask questions to how they will edit and arrange the answers obtain from the interview.....thats all they care about.

But all guys why Ribs, one of their fabulous heroes? You might expect it of Gainey or Ryder. Ribeiro is their second favourite guy on the team after Theo so if the French media has a story against Ribs 99% chance it's true.

I have a question: has anybody except for the Journal and this message board picked up on this story? The on-line Gazette has nothing on it, nor does La Presse or (obviously not) the official team site. Neither does RDS. Obviously I have no access to local radio. I'm just curious...

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by option+]

Originally posted by Colin

I'm sorry, Ribeiro is not hurting the team? He was a -1 last night despite the gifts of points from the opposition. That's not particularly impressive.

And Bonk has been playing hurt for a long time apparently, so I think I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what he can do when healthy.

I really don't understand why people watch the pond hockey ballerina and think he's a stellar player. Sure, he has great moves, and occasionally great vision, but he's a perimeter player, albeit with good skills, who gives half-efforts. Is this the kind of guy you want on the second line? He was buried in the playoffs and has been relatively ineffectual so far this season in comparison with his so-called good year.

Yes, when he tries, he can look good, but we don't see enough of it. All we have on our hands right now is a big ego who can't deliver.

My hope is that he was played like he was so he gets some trade value. This team has virtually zero Cup potential with him in the lineup.

Its simple, some players have showned us THUS FAR something different about our expectations of them.

Some, not many, specially Rivet have been playing way above expectations.

Many others are playing around in and around expectations with rooms to improved and Ribeiro and Ryder fit in there somewhere.

A few have been rather disapointing and should work really hard at making themselves better and that could include Bonk, Souray, Dagenais and Streit.

In this light of mine, I consider your denigration of Ribeiro overblowned, irrational and way too personel.

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by PB]

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Originally posted by Ribeiro

Wow, do you guys not watch the NFL or NBA? Ever hear Owens or Sprewell talk?

Ribeiro didn't say anything that outrageous and you guys are telling him to get out of Montreal? You guys want Saku to "beat the crap" out of Ribeiro?

He simply stated his opinion. He believes Ryder should finish more of his passes. Big deal. Get over it.

We're not in the NBA or NFL. Keep this super-hard gangster talk there, I'm not interested in Sprewell or anyone else from those leagues.

It's about respect - respect for his teammates! If there's a slump, start with yourself to search the mistakes but not go out and state that your linemate isn't scoring goals.

@Roo-AH! Roo-AH!: I really like the Zamboni idea ... :D :/)

I agree bro, he disrespected his teammate and he took it to the media whether he now denies it or not. He needs to pay a price for it

Originally posted by PB
Originally posted by Colin

Its simple, some players have showned us THUS FAR something different about our expectations of them.

Some, not many, specially Rivet have been playing way above expectations.

Many others are playing around in and around expectations with rooms to improved and Ribeiro and Ryder fit in there somewhere.

A few have been rather disapointing and should work really hard at making themselves better and that could include Bonk, Souray, Dagenais and Streit.

In this light of mine, I consider your denigration of Ribeiro overblowned, irrational and way too personel.

[Edited on 2005/12/4 by PB]

Good post PB... I agree 100%:hlogo: