Mar 10, Habs vs Canucks, 11:00 PM

tomh009

What Chairot did was unnecessary and dumb perhaps, there was no need for a fight at that point. But for all the Chairot haters this morning probably amused and content with this, I’m not. He will be missed in the top four and Mete replacing him is a huge downgrade to our top 6 Ds.. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

You have to give to get ... and nothing is surefire when it comes to a a rookie AHLer ... hope, optimism, expectations, but not surefire 

Then give them Poehling who was drafted higher :rastapop:

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

Then give them Poehling who was drafted higher :rastapop:

Once players turn pro and play in the NHL or AHL "drafted higher" means little ... except perhaps to the management team that drafted the player and want to give them every opportunity to make them look like geniuses ... THAT said, if the deal could be made with Poehling I am fine with that ... don't have high expectations for either ... would be nice for Habs if my expectations prove to be too low.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

***IF*** Chiarot is out for two weeks or more, then his IR time would effectively be a quarantine offset in a trade (i.e., Habs would already be without a defenceman for 14 days) ... as long as Nashville isn't on Ben's 10-team NTC list, Chiarot could be included as the (roughly) cap-space equivalency ... he may or may not have any real roster value to Nashville, but they could afford to retain up to 50% of cap-hit/salary and flip him for more assets ... the question becomes what picks/prospects will the Preds want ... the oft-rumoured cost is a 1st and prospect(s) ... I would offer the 1st, Mete and Ylönen and see where the talks go.

He has only a year left on his contract. Would you really give up Chiarot, a first, a young D and a quality prospect for that one year (and a bit) of Ekholm?

1 hour ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

What Chairot did was unnecessary and dumb perhaps, there was no need for a fight at that point. But for all the Chairot haters this morning probably amused and content with this, I’m not. He will be missed in the top four and Mete replacing him is a huge downgrade to our top 6 Ds.. 

I wanted the pair broken up not Chiarot out of the lineup.

The fight was pointless and now we are down a dman.

Just now, tomh009 said:

He has only a year left on his contract. Would you really give up Chiarot, a first, a young D and a quality prospect for that one year (and a bit) of Ekholm?

Chiarot also only has a year left, and is primarily there to balance  out the cap hit ... so in my view it is a hopefully 20+ pick in a draft that is not highly hyped from what I have read, a D who is at best a 6/7 (great skater, no other particularly strong NHL assets) and a potentially quality prospect (2 goals in 10 games) ... you aren't getting Ekholm cheap and this is the first year in so, so many that it could even make sense to "go for it" ... especially with Weber and Price less "known quantities" each year going forward ... so yes, I would ... and more importantly I think MB would consider it as I remain convinced that, unless injury disaster strikes, it isa  GOOD playoff run or bust for him ... it is also an opportunity to not be as quarantine penalized in this UNIQUE season that makes trades so challenging.

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

You have to give to get ... and nothing is surefire when it comes to a a rookie AHLer ... hope, optimism, expectations, but not surefire 

I still wouldnt give much at the moment.

If gonna do a big deal, off-season seems better. Especially just needing to make top 4 of 7 teams for playoffs this year and really 1st or 4th does not make huge difference with no or small crowds.