Mar 11, Habs vs Flames, 9:00 PM

tomh009

Montreal Canadiens double Calgary Flames in home opener, extend point  streak - TSN.ca
https://content.sportslogos.net/logos/1/16/full/4231_montreal_canadiens-jersey-2000.png Calgary Flames - Logos Download

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson

Toffoli - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher

Tatar - Danault - Armia

Byron - Evans - Perry

Kulak Romanov - Weber

Edmundson - Petry

Kulak - Mete Romanov

Allen

Injured: Chiarot (hand)

Healthy scratch: Lehkonen

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ritchie
Lucic - Backlund - Mangiapane
Bennett - Ryan - Leivo

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Nesterov

Markstrom

Injured: Nordstrom (lower body)
Healthy scratch: Robinson, Kylington

• Upvote 1

The 3rd period of last nights game they were speculating Romanov might be taking Chiarot’s place along side of Weber.  

I also misquoted earlier in the other thread, Chiarot isn’t playing tonight.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Kulak - Weber

Edmundson - Petry

Mete - Romanov

If Kulak doesn't work out, I expect that Romanov would get the chance before Mete ... Victor is obviously evaluated as not as good as Kulak or he would be playing, coaches like to win ...  likely also evaluated as not currently as good as Romanov, but there is the possibility that Romanov has been played even though Mete is currently seen as some tiny bit better as AR is the future ... would IMO make no sense to play Mete ahead of Romanov or Kulak unless as a last resort

47 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m happy for a game that I can watch! ...

Sooooooooooo nice

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If Kulak doesn't work out, I expect that Romanov would get the chance before Mete ... Victor is obviously evaluated as not as good as Kulak or he would be playing, coaches like to win ...  likely also evaluated as not currently as good as Romanov, but there is the possibility that Romanov has been played even though Mete is currently seen as some tiny bit better as AR is the future ... would IMO make no sense to play Mete ahead of Romanov or Kulak unless as a last resort

Or, at least, Ducharme sees Kulak-Weber as a stronger combination than Mete-Weber. It's not just the best player but also the best fit for Weber.

Didn’t Weber play his best games yesterday? 
From what I heard on radio and the highlights, Weber didn’t seem to be suffering from mobility issues lately 

But maybe I am wrong :rolleyes:

Kulak shouldn’t be top pair. Nothing to see there long term. 

25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Didn’t Weber play his best games yesterday? 
From what I heard on radio and the highlights, Weber didn’t seem to be suffering from mobility issues lately 

But maybe I am wrong :rolleyes:

There was one instance where he got burned pretty cleanly at the offensive blue line. The Canucks player gained about 8-10 strides on him. I’m generally not too bothered about Weber’s mobility and think it is overstated but that play really stood out. I believe it was when we were on the power play and Price had to come up with a big save. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Kulak shouldn’t be top pair. Nothing to see there long term. 

Until Romanov is fully seasoned should ANY of the Habs LHD be playing on the top pairing?

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Until Romanov is fully seasoned should ANY of the Habs LHD be playing on the top pairing?

No. But unfortunately, the alternative is a D that is skewed toward immobility.

It's the single biggest structural weakness on this team.

• Like 1

Random Thought: Was there any reason the second Vancouver game couldn't have been Tuesday ... or tonight's game tomorrow?

Would seem a logical rule for scheduling this season that there is no travel before the second of two-in-two-nights.

Playing Tuesday would have meant back-to-back after one day to travel to the west coast ... but at least they could have gone "home" to bed Monday night.

Likely/undoubtedly TV interests (i.e., the almighty dollar) were involved ... actually I'll say hopefully, as otherwise there seems to be no logical reason.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Random Thought: Was there any reason the second Vancouver game couldn't have been Tuesday ... or tonight's game tomorrow?

Would seem a logical rule for scheduling this season that there is no travel before the second of two-in-two-nights.

Playing Tuesday would have meant back-to-back after one day to travel to the west coast ... but at least they could have gone "home" to bed Monday night.

Likely/undoubtedly TV interests (i.e., the almighty dollar) were involved ... actually I'll say hopefully, as otherwise there seems to be no logical reason.

It was a thought I had as well.  Considering Vancouver has so few back-to-backs this year, playing Mon/Tues would have made more sense.  Playing Fri/Sat for this set could have worked too.

9 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

isnt Ducharme stating Romanov will line up with Weber and not Kulak?

He is now, yes. Although he is implying that there will be some rotation.

I'll update the OP.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given the scheduling, and the fact that the Flames will be highly motivated to impress Old Man Sutter, a win tonight will be an impressive statement.

I came here to say this. I also thought that under the CBA they couldn't play two games within 24 hour start times? 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It was a thought I had as well.  Considering Vancouver has so few back-to-backs this year, playing Mon/Tues would have made more sense.  Playing Fri/Sat for this set could have worked too.

Somewhat surprised that the NHLPA didn't think of this, or if they did push hard, to minimize travel impacts

Hope they can solve Markstrom this time.

PP up to 14th in league.

PK still not great, maybe with no Chariot that will change, good or badly?

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Screw that Sutter guy

I was so happy back when the Flames originally hired Sutter.   However, in this Covid season with an all Canadian div I'm not so thrilled at the idea. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Playing Fri/Sat for this set could have worked too.

Maybe the NHL was thinking to have them rested for Sat games that are nationally televised.